Kicked In The Nuts

GotDraw?

WKR
Be thankful you're not married to him...

Imagine dealing with that attitude, the "Land of NO", every single day.

Cheapest lesson you ever had here...

JL

FlyGuy

WKR
Great and very honest, humble story. I'm still earning my stripes on elk too, but it seems like every year (after 10 months of absolutely obsessing over gear, maps, x-fit, podcasts, archery practice, running/rucking...) i walk in a unit feeling Uber confident. THIS is the year... Then, usually By day two, that confidence level has completely tanked and I'm scratching my head convinced that killing an elk is impossible!

Once those doubts get into your head its hard to fight them off, and damn near impossible if your partner has the blues worse than you. Its like some weird fog of extremely short term depression that only strikes elk hunters. I call it the "go home" fairly. Evil bitch. She rapidly sucks out your positive energy and makes you focus on the smallest failures or the inevitable bad decisions instead of the reality of how close you are to making it happen. By day 4 she is constantly whispering in your ear "you can't do this." "Why are you even here?"

The funny thing is that she only lives in the mountains. As soon as you are in the truck your head begins to clear and you start to see things as they truly were. You were close! You were doing it! The worst part of her trick is that once she is out of your head you are left to face a year of longing to get right back and do more of the exact same thing that you just quit early.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
Great and very honest, humble story. I'm still earning my stripes on elk too, but it seems like every year (after 10 months of absolutely obsessing over gear, maps, x-fit, podcasts, archery practice, running/rucking...) i walk in a unit feeling Uber confident. THIS is the year... Then, usually By day two, that confidence level has completely tanked and I'm scratching my head convinced that killing an elk is impossible!

Once those doubts get into your head its hard to fight them off, and damn near impossible if your partner has the blues worse than you. Its like some weird fog of extremely short term depression that only strikes elk hunters. I call it the "go home" fairly. Evil bitch. She rapidly sucks out your positive energy and makes you focus on the smallest failures or the inevitable bad decisions instead of the reality of how close you are to making it happen. By day 4 she is constantly whispering in your ear "you can't do this." "Why are you even here?"

The funny thing is that she only lives in the mountains. As soon as you are in the truck your head begins to clear and you start to see things as they truly were. You were close! You were doing it! The worst part of her trick is that once she is out of your head you are left to face a year of longing to get right back and do more of the exact same thing that you just quit early.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Bro that was spot on! Lmfao! You described the situation perfectly. I need to preface my story with what you said. Man... yes she an evil bitch to be sure. That was awesome. Thank you for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Stories like BG’s make me appreciate how fortunate I am to have a brother and a couple of friends who are game for just about anything.

Great story; been there done that. Finding a good hunting partner can be a whole lotta work.

I know Susanville has grown over the years since I was last there, but the man of meager means comment is not exactly surprising, as it is pretty common in small town America.

But I totally agree, get back out there next year.

OP
bguitierez
Great story; been there done that. Finding a good hunting partner can be a whole lotta work.

I know Susanville has grown over the years since I was last there, but the man of meager means comment is not exactly surprising, as it is pretty common in small town America.

But I totally agree, get back out there next year.

Will do brother. Thank you for taking the time to read the story. I appreciate it and hope it at least made you laugh at me.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Stories like BG’s make me appreciate how fortunate I am to have a brother and a couple of friends who are game for just about anything.

Me too. I have mainly only hunted with my dad and brother and it is nice to have those you can rely on particularly when an animal is down.

Those that typically hunt with partners do you usually stick together and hunt together all day. The three of us rarely actually hunt together. It is more like camping together. We are almost always within and hour or 2 of each other to help track, clean, pack, etc. but basically solo hunting during the day. We might meet up sometime during the day either on the mountain or back at camp or to hike in/out of an area but that is about it. You can go as hard or light as you want all day everyday.

Growing up I tagged along hunting every year with my dad and a bunch of his hunting buddies but it was really always the same style. We camped together but everyone typically hunted slightly different spots.

Last edited:
OP
bguitierez
Me too. I have mainly only hunted with my dad and brother and it is nice to have those you can rely on particularly when an animal is down.

Those that typically hunt with partners do you usually stick together and hunt together all day. The three of us rarely actually hunt together. It is more like camping together. We are almost always within and hour or 2 of each other to help track, clean, pack, etc. but basically solo hunting during the day. We might meet up sometime during the day either on the mountain or back at camp or to hike in/out of an area but that is about it. You can go as hard or light as you want all day everyday.

Growing up I tagged along hunting every year with my dad and a bunch of his hunting buddies but it was really always the same style. We camped together but everyone typically hunted slightly different spots.

That’s not a bad idea. Reading this, I’m thinking I should have tried that for sure. Thank bro

BAKPAKR

WKR
My hunting partners and I camp together but seldom hunt together, assuming we all have something we can hunt. For me, half the fun of the hunt is getting back to camp or the truck and sharing stories about the day.

Will do brother. Thank you for taking the time to read the story. I appreciate it and hope it at least made you laugh at me.

I certainly was not laughing at you, but rather with you as we have had similar experiences. But I also was thinking that I can recognize that you and I have a similar hunting mindset, and that I would be happy to hunt you you anytime, and be more than happy following your gameplan. You obviously put a lot of work into your gameplan, way to much to not stick with it.

On another note, Do the Bouchard's still own D&L Distributing there in Susanville? Does Rick Carter still work for the BLM there in town?

OP
bguitierez
I certainly was not laughing at you, but rather with you as we have had similar experiences. But I also was thinking that I can recognize that you and I have a similar hunting mindset, and that I would be happy to hunt you you anytime, and be more than happy following your gameplan. You obviously put a lot of work into your gameplan, way to much to not stick with it.

On another note, Do the Bouchard's still own D&L Distributing there in Susanville? Does Rick Carter still work for the BLM there in town?

Hey no problem man. Shit, after I was done being mad, laughing at myself is all I been doing. I’ll be hitting it hard again next season. As for the family and fellas you named, I’m not sure. I was born and raised here, but not familiar with the people you asked about. I’m from the Indian rancheria here. Left for the Marines back in 98 and finally came home in 2010. It’s still pretty cool around here. Lots of good hunting and fishing. Can’t ask for anything more.

CX5Ranch

WKR
Great story.

Now add 2 or 3 pack horses and a snowstorm and you'll have a real write up!

Welcome to elk hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
Great story.

Now add 2 or 3 pack horses and a snowstorm and you'll have a real write up!

Welcome to elk hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haha! Yes that would have made it better. I appreciate your sentiments brother. We will see what next season brings, now that the ol cherry has been busted! Lol. Thanks man.

Solo is the way. Only 1 in 10 guys are willing to really hunt. Hard to find a dedicated hunting partner.

I'm beginning to believe this, but not quite ready to go "pure solo" at my age and following a back surgery a few years ago (with lingering numbness issues).

But I can definitely relate to the OP's story and appreciate what he's saying. I had a similar experience this year. You need to find someone who agrees with your style of hunting, or at least be able to acquiesce to what they want to do.

I thought I was prepared to do that, and I did, but the trip left me a bit disappointed that I didn't get to do it "my way" a little bit more. Mostly I lacked the true alone time that elk hunting represents to me.

My 1st elk hunting partner was pretty quiet and easy to get along with. And although he wasn't "quite" in as good of shape as I am, he had no issues telling me to "go for it" while he was happy hanging closer to the truck.

As for "manning up" I don't know about that. One hunt isn't worth throwing away a friendship over IMO. I'd look at it as tuition for elk lessons and move on. Nobody gets it right their first time out (unless you were my hunting partner this past year... LOL)

Better luck next year!

OP
bguitierez
I'm beginning to believe this, but not quite ready to go "pure solo" at my age and following a back surgery a few years ago (with lingering numbness issues).

But I can definitely relate to the OP's story and appreciate what he's saying. I had a similar experience this year. You need to find someone who agrees with your style of hunting, or at least be able to acquiesce to what they want to do.

I thought I was prepared to do that, and I did, but the trip left me a bit disappointed that I didn't get to do it "my way" a little bit more. Mostly I lacked the true alone time that elk hunting represents to me.

My 1st elk hunting partner was pretty quiet and easy to get along with. And although he wasn't "quite" in as good of shape as I am, he had no issues telling me to "go for it" while he was happy hanging closer to the truck.

As for "manning up" I don't know about that. One hunt isn't worth throwing away a friendship over IMO. I'd look at it as tuition for elk lessons and move on. Nobody gets it right their first time out (unless you were my hunting partner this past year... LOL)

Better luck next year!

Oh man I totally get the apprehension about going solo with back issues. I have pretty nasty stuff going on too. But I look at it like my hunting career has a shelf life and while I still can I will. That’s not to say the lingering fear in my mind isn’t always there. I’m a bit crazy but not stupid haha. I get it brother. Yes you’re right about elk tuition. My uncle has been able to bow hunt elk for 10 years and killed ten elk. Some bulls some cows. But he always brought meat home. He told me last July to not get down if it didn’t work out, but to take the lessons learned and get my ass back in there. I agree with the both of you. Thanks bro.

Been at it 4 seasons now with zero elk to show for it. All DIY public land and no prior elk experience of any kind, much less western hunting experience save a few mule deer hunts in the foothills of SE NM back in the day.

Most of my wounds are self-inflicted, insisting on cow tags for the past 3 years because I'm not interested in antlers and I enjoy saving money. That choice has cost me an elk 3 years running, having had the opportunity (several times each season) to take a bull, but no cows in sight. Oh well. If I elk hunted to survive, I'd make different choices. But I elk hunt for the experience, on my terms, and it has never disappointed me - that is until this past season - but again that was self inflicted, taking a buddy that I haven't hunted with in over 25 years. Let's just say time has a way of making you forget how annoying some people can be. LOL

Still a good dude, like you said. Just not someone I'm going to spend 3,4 or more days with in elk camp again.

Not all his fault though. It helped me realize how much I look forward to just being alone for a while in the mountains. In the previous years, I'd scout for a week by myself before my buddy (or son) joined me. That allowed me to decompress and focus the way I want to. By the time they arrived, I was glad to see them.

So, lessons learned.

OP
bguitierez
Been at it 4 seasons now with zero elk to show for it. All DIY public land and no prior elk experience of any kind, much less western hunting experience save a few mule deer hunts in the foothills of SE NM back in the day.

Most of my wounds are self-inflicted, insisting on cow tags for the past 3 years because I'm not interested in antlers and I enjoy saving money. That choice has cost me an elk 3 years running, having had the opportunity (several times each season) to take a bull, but no cows in sight. Oh well. If I elk hunted to survive, I'd make different choices. But I elk hunt for the experience, on my terms, and it has never disappointed me - that is until this past season - but again that was self inflicted, taking a buddy that I haven't hunted with in over 25 years. Let's just say time has a way of making you forget how annoying some people can be. LOL

Still a good dude, like you said. Just not someone I'm going to spend 3,4 or more days with in elk camp again.

Not all his fault though. It helped me realize how much I look forward to just being alone for a while in the mountains. In the previous years, I'd scout for a week by myself before my buddy (or son) joined me. That allowed me to decompress and focus the way I want to. By the time they arrived, I was glad to see them.

So, lessons learned.

Hey I appreciate your sentiments bro. I respect any hunter who just flat gets after it. Horns no horns. I’m with you! Lol. That’s why I referred to the animals I hunted as “elk” and not “bull”. I’d still love to get on a bull, but I also know I need to just get the experience before I’m even close to being in position to kill a bull. It’s cool to see a dude sharing his perspective. I will be decompressing next season as well brother. Thank you and best of luck!