Where Are the Elk?

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone out there with late season Nevada 072-075 tags? We've been hoofing the mountains since opening day when elk were still steep and deep in the Wilderness. Now we have plenty of snow up high so they should be moving into or towards winter ranges and we've seen nothing! Talked to other hunters out there who are experiencing the same - nothing. Any intel would be appreciated. We know the area well and are hikers so all tips are good.

KHNC

WKR
Doubtful you will get much by joining this site and looking for specific info as your only reason. Maybe next year you will have some luck after you participate on the forum a bit.

NV HUNTER

WKR
You have about 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes before dark. The rest of the day they are in the timber.

OP
One-shot

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
You have about 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes before dark. The rest of the day they are in the timber.

Yeah, timber is what I’m figurin’. Snow is getting deep so may have to don snowshoes to get in to significant enough cover that safe harbors elk. Thanks for the thought/reminder. Still early so herds just may be slow to move outa wilderness too. Tagged one 2 years ago on this season/area but it was at tail end, herds were in lower elevations%. Might be same situation this year.

TJack303

FNG
As a wise man once said, the elk are where you find them! Best of luck, I suggest using the state website to get a better idea of what units hold the elk, bull/cow ratios, hunter numbers etc. Most states have very good info on their websites, thats the best place to start. Google earth is another great resource.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a wise man once said, the elk are where you find them! Best of luck, I suggest using the state website to get a better idea of what units hold the elk, bull/cow ratios, hunter numbers etc. Most states have very good info on their websites, thats the best place to start. Google earth is another great resource.
Op already has a late season tag. Reading more than the thread title can typically be beneficial.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
One-shot

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
FOUND 'EM!
Now just have to select a nice cow. They're still up high but moving. Thanks for the positive comments and support guys!

What's arguably almost cooler than finding elk is my hunting partner got set up on a slope to watch for late afternoon elk
and spotted movement. A large cat at 230 yds. It started screaching while it looked across the slope below my partner.
Another cat at 150 yards. Partner was lucky to witness big cat courtship! Pretty rare sighting.