Do you plan hunts around the moon phase?

cnelk

WKR
I guess a simpler way to put my question is if you had to hunt before, during or after the full moon, which would it be? The goal is to be around vocal animals.

Obviously the later you go the more vocal the bulls should be. But not always.
If that's your goal to hear vocal animals, you should set your goals higher.

Thats not my goal when I go elk hunting.
I go when I've found my areas to produce. Full moon or not. I have areas that are good early, other areas that are good late.
I do not rely on bugling.

But what works for me probably doesnt work for others.
Plus, I dont have any bugles, books, or other elk trinkets to sell :)

OP
A
Obviously the later you go the more vocal the bulls should be. But not always.
If that's your goal to hear vocal animals, you should set your goals higher.

Thats not my goal when I go elk hunting.
I go when I've found my areas to produce. Full moon or not. I have areas that are good early, other areas that are good late.
I do not rely on bugling.

But what works for me probably doesnt work for others.
Plus, I dont have any bugles, books, or other elk trinkets to sell :)

That's not my only goal, but just something I feel will make it easier to find and hopefully make good on an opportunity if it presents itself. I'm kind of looking at this like Turkey hunting, which is something I do a lot of and truly enjoy. I can kill turkeys in terrible conditions when they're all henned up, won't gobble and won't decoy. It's just much harder than when the fly down and come charging in gobbling the whole way.

So all this doesn't matter is what I'm gathering. So we will hunt, no matter and try and be the 10%.

ElkNut1

WKR
Adam, what dates to you feel will fit your schedule best regardless of moon phase & are you after 'AnyElk' or only branched bulls?

From Sept 10th on the rut increases dramatically & will increase your odds of getting into bugling bulls!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
A
Adam, what dates to you feel will fit your schedule best regardless of moon phase & are you after 'AnyElk' or only branched bulls?

From Sept 10th on the rut increases dramatically & will increase your odds of getting into bugling bulls!

ElkNut/Paul

Paul, our intent was to hunt from the 13th to the 23rd. Any legal bull is our goal.

ElkNut1

WKR
Those are great dates, I'd choose those myself! Adam, learn the Slow Play version of the Breeding Sequence well & you should be able to tackle with confidence the most subtle bulls to the most aggressive ones! I prefer the Run & Gun style over treestands & ground blinds so you may have to adjust things to your style & strengths if those are your choices! Good luck bud!

ElkNut/Paul