Is there a one pack setup?

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, I am steadily getting together equipment for an archery elk hunt... will be first time. I know I will need a pack but am wondering if any of you have any suggestions? Is there a single setup that will provide for everything I need? (backpacking/possible base camp, having ability to bivi if needed and haul out meat)

I really did not want to have to buy multiples unless absolutely necessary.

Btaylor

WKR
Stone Glacier, Kifaru, EXO, Seek Outside and a few others all offer packs to handle pretty much anything you can handle. You should check out the backpack forum here and do a little reading.

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
for the price and the stuff that it can do i enjoy the full curl system by horn hunter

Trial153

WKR
Your going to get like 20 answers with everyone's current sweetheart pack. The truth is you can take most any solid top shelf pack in the 3000-6000ci range and make it work for you under a lot of situations. Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, SG, Seekoutside, EXO....even ah..kuiu. ..
In any event since your going to the bell curve of idea ...try this, this works for me ect ect. The truth is right now you dont yet know what you really need to want in a pack. In that case my suggestion is pick something up used from one of the above makes and use it...then you will have a better baseline to draw from as to what you want need and like.

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
I figured I would get a lot of opinions but would weigh and think about each and every one of them. Just now trying to learn about packs and didn't know if there was a system that worked that might could do it all... maybe a pack that the frame most people find "not even there" and carry it no matter what or even a detachable day pack that was lighter but goes on the frame when needed...kinda like that tenzing model does. I kinda figure that my pack setup would be expanding over the years for more specific purposes but man these things are high so wanted to limit it to one pack this go around if feasible.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
If you're wanting a "do it all" pack I would not even consider a pack such as Tenzing or Eberlestock. Sure they will probably work for a bit, but once you try on one of the other top tier packs you will be looking at upgrading. As others have stated Mystery Ranch, EXO, SG, Kifaru,etc. will all serve you well, and the backpack section of this forum will be a good place to start for you. There is literally DAYS of information in there for you to pour over. I'm a shorter guy at 5'9" and 155 lbs and went with the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and will probably try another one in the near future.

bsnedeker

WKR
I would strongly advise you to go with as big a bag as possible if you want a one-size-fits all pack. You can always snug a big pack down on a smaller load for day hunting, but cramming 10 days worth of gear into a daypack is not an option. Carrying an extra-large pack you are going to have a weight penalty, but that's the only issue that I see with a bigger pack.

I was looking for the same thing and I ultimately went with the Kifaru Crater. I find it snugs down really well for day hunting, and can carry more than I can when I want to go deep. There are ultimately a LOT of really good options out there so the most important thing is finding a pack system that works best for you. If you've never been out in the backcountry hunting or scouting before THAT is really going to be what determines the bag that will work best for your style of hunting. Some guys like lots of organization in their packs so they have a place for everything, some guys (like me) prefer to just cram everything into one big space and grab what they want. The only way to really know what is going to work best for you is to get out and do it. That's one really great selling point for the more modular pack systems that allow for easy swapping of bags.

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier, Kifaru, EXO, Seek Outside and a few others all offer packs to handle pretty much anything you can handle. You should check out the backpack forum here and do a little reading.

I'd add Kuiu to that list as well. There are so many good packs you've got tons of options really. Might be a good idea to try and find people local to you that will let you try on packs from various makers.

There's lots of one pack setups out there. I have a Kifaru DT2, my father has an Exo 3500, and my buddy has a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Each of those get the job done, as do many others.

Gumbo

WKR
I've used Mystery Ranch and Kifaru extensively and IMO there is no comparison to the fit and load hauling capabilities of the Kifaru. The Mystery Ranch craftsmanship and durability is the best, but their frames are far less supportive and ride poorly under the extreme loads you are likely to have when packing out an elk. The Stone Glacier I owned (Krux) was uncomfortable on my back so I sold it after 1 trip that didn't even involve packing out an animal. The new SG frames slid off my lumbar area and lacked the frame support even under marginally heavy loads (65-70 lbs) when I tried them at the headquarters and was fit by the staff there. But there will be people who swear by SG and MR, so take it all with a grain of salt and try all that you can with at least 70 pounds in them, which is about the minimum weight you'd be hauling with day hunt gear and meat in a load. As for bags, unless you need a TON of gear/food for an extended trip, the Reckoning is tough to beat. It works great as a day pack with no lid or as a 3-5 day pack with a lid. Plus there are a kazillion of them for sale in the classifieds, probably because so many people are Kifaru junkies and upgrade every time Kifaru releases a new pack.

Wrench

WKR
If mr, kifaru and others would offer a quiet version, I'd say it's possible. The problem is 500d on brush sounds like a warning cry. I'd suggest a small quiet pack for day trips and a tough well suspended pack for the haul.

Gumbo

WKR
If mr, kifaru and others would offer a quiet version, I'd say it's possible. The problem is 500d on brush sounds like a warning cry. I'd suggest a small quiet pack for day trips and a tough well suspended pack for the haul.

I thought that too before I used them but after several years I've never had noise be an issue, especially with elk.

Last edited:
OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
I thought that too before I used them but after several years I've never had noise be an issue, especially with elk.

So another words Elk hunting isn't like whitetail then? lol

Gumbo

WKR
Depends on how you do it and the situation of course, but in general I feel I can get away with a lot more noise elk hunting. Noise on your way into a whitetail stand or with deer bedded near by will kill you. Of course the cordura makes more noise scraping on branches, but the softer fabrics make noise too, if elk hear one they will hear the other IMO.

ndbuck09

WKR
Make sure to get a pack with a load shelf so you can pack meat and your camp, this functionality is huge. Also, don't sit and try to figure out if a pack size is big enough, with say a stone glacier, you have no weight penalty for running a 6200 pack vs a 3500. For some reason a buddy was trying to play this game, got a 3500 and then, voila, he couldn't run 10 days of gear into it (which I told him would be the case since he makes concessions on his sleeping bag and pad sizes)

rbljack

WKR
Lots of good pack systems out there. For me, it was going to be the exo 3500 or the kifaru duplex frame with reckoning. I don't think either would have been a bad choice. I went with the reckoning. Packs down to work for a daypack and can haul out meat when it goes down. I don't like the concept of carrying a daypack that wont haul a quarter if your doing a backcountry hunt. I don't want to have to waste a trip back to the camp or the truck just to switch out the packs and then go back in for a load of meat. Just a thought.

OP
A

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure to get a pack with a load shelf so you can pack meat and your camp, this functionality is huge. Also, don't sit and try to figure out if a pack size is big enough, with say a stone glacier, you have no weight penalty for running a 6200 pack vs a 3500. For some reason a buddy was trying to play this game, got a 3500 and then, voila, he couldn't run 10 days of gear into it (which I told him would be the case since he makes concessions on his sleeping bag and pad sizes)

Right now I am leaning towards the SG Sky Archer 6200, will keep looking, listening and learning

Some people like organization, some don't. Some are ounce counters, some arent. Some hunters like a meat shelf between the frame and bag.....again, some don't. I like the first reply to your question. Buy one that's in your price range and use it. Lots. Then you'll start forming your own idea of "perfect and functional". My first high end pack was a used Exo 3500. Used the hell out of it. Still have it, still love it. I have a Seek Outside Broadwing and a Stone Glacier now as well. They all have a purpose and stay loaded accordingly. Good luck with your search, and don't give yourself a headache over buying your first pack. Buy it, try it, and go from there.

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
Just like you, I wanted one pack to do it all. I figured out what features I wanted and made my decision based on that. I wanted a full length zipper into the main bag, load/meat shelf, straps to carry a weapon reliably and space for anything I might need. This was the Kifaru Reckoning for me. It's worked out great. Do a lot of research and figure out what features you want on your bag, eliminate the ones without your "must-haves" and go from there.