GregB

WKR
I did find it odd that BRO struggled, newberg didn’t punch an elk tag, Jacobson didn’t punch an elk tag.. 3 of the biggest platforms encouraging people to get out there and hunt elk.

Even with a lot of skill sometimes you need a little dumb luck. Or in my case a lot of dumb luck because you have no skill. I wonder what the success rate would be for these guys if they were only able to do one hunt per year like most people.

smartweed

FNG
In my limited experience in out West, it's the same there as anywhere else I hunt public land, be it Ohio or Pennsylvania. After a few days, I usually have the woods to myself. Most of the guys hunting for the glamour and not the love of the whole experience do not have the grit to stick it out. But they still pay their license fees and keep the lights on for the states involved. Hopefully enough of them take notice of the opportunity they have on public lands and become protective of those lands. We sure need all the support we can get.

I enjoy watching the BRO youtube videos. Each morning when Cody is starting each video it's common to see someone in the background pissing on a bush. And if Trevor is trying to say something important somebody will fart as loud as they can. They seem like regular guys having fun in the backcountry. That's what makes it real to me.

dano626

FNG
Ive never elk hunted before but it has been on my mind as of late. Mostly due to hearing more about it on several podcasts out there. I will say Ive seen an uptick in hunters this year in the local spots. While its not bad to see new hunters I would hope they know the rules and dont go and shoot everything in sight.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Says the guy who complains he's not the only one in the woods anymore

I just stated facts. That is what it is. We can like it or not like it, but that doesn't change the facts. And with my last post I was complaining about the complainers, thereby becoming a complainer. Which was my point.;) Everybody has something to complain about.

Instead of complaining, we could try to increase opportunity. One way would be to increase ungulate numbers by encouraging people to hunt predators that are above population objectives like black bears in Colorado, wolves in Northern Idaho, and coyotes everywhere.

But especially Colorado black bear (which are often color phase) during the gorgeous last week of September after muzzleloader season. Fill as many of those tags as possible.

*The last statement is completely self serving

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of complaining, we could try to increase opportunity. One way would be to increase ungulate numbers by encouraging people to hunt predators that are above population objectives like black bears in Colorado, wolves in Northern Idaho, and coyotes everywhere.

But especially Colorado black bear (which are often color phase) during the gorgeous last week of September after muzzleloader season. Fill as many of those tags as possible.

*The last statement is completely self serving

Ok you convinced me to start getting a bear tag.

ChrisAU

WKR
Just an observation, do we think anyone that is watching/listening to these guys doesn't already have elk hunting on their mind?

chasewild

WKR
Sometimes I think it is just math. Since I have been on this earth the population of the US has grown by about 100 million. Even if hunters are only 6% of the population then that’s 6 million additional hunters. While studies are showing hunter numbers are down on a percent basis, not so sure on a total number sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^.

Numbers are not in the decline. Numbers in proportion to what they used to be may be declining.

Randy Newburgh does a great job of talking about the political aspect of public lands and pushing people to join the organizations that are all about keeping public lands public. I'm a whitetail hunter in ohio and I've been hunting exclusively public land for several years. I've definitely noticed more people hitting the woods during bow season since shows like the hunting public came around but I feel like it's a good thing. The more license and tags they sell the more funds they have to put back into the land and hopefully buy more land with.
I agree. There's a lot of new hunters which is good for conservation. I'm from Missouri and have hunted a lot of public land. I'd say THP has inspired many hunters to branch out from private and learn more about public conservation areas. Yes, it's more competition, but drives me to put boots on the ground and learn where these mature bucks travel once the pressure set in. Like the person said above, "adapt and overcome."

nursul

FNG
I think the born and raised guys and Corey and hush all realize they invited so many people onto public land last year they messed up a lot of their own hunts who's success is vital to their business. Listen to the episodes from last year and they go on and on about come out and hunt on public land over and over and over again. This year I bet they dropped by 90% the amount of times they mentioned it. Bottom line it's a business for them that they would all like to quit their real jobs and do full time and if they don't put kills on the screen they can't move products and they gotta stay in regular people jobs.
Your post took a few turns and got political. I’ll stick to the topic of BRO. I did follow the boys regularly for a year on YouTube....the series they ran was cool and they had a hook of a promo giveaway (shocker I didn’t win). The question for the BRO boys is why am not attached their brand anymore (save you all from that boring post). The marketplace is crowded with “talent” and as we all know distribution is the key. Netflix is in the game with Rinella and others are following. The woods are crowded and that’s okay. Hunters / anglers aren’t the only ones stomping around out there. The backpacking community is getting bigger and stronger. My take is you’re either growing or dying in the market. I’d rather see hunting community keep growing. Folks like BRO and others are important to that growth. I’ll do my part by making sure my Family and friends are exposed the right way of hunting.