I’m Crying

topher89

WKR
Mine freezer is in the garage and as part of my routine, I check it every day when I get home. I have a little hanging thermometer that I can monitor.

Cranman

FNG
Was close to this earlier this year. Went into the freezer for a pizza and it was thawed. GFCI had tripped for some reason! Glad all the meat was still frozen!

Whip

WKR
That sucks man - I feel for you! My meat is precious.
I have the LaCrosse alerts system that Muddydogs posted a link to. We spend 2-3 months away from home in the winter and I monitor both the temperature in the house and in the freezer. Works like a charm! I have mine set to notify me if the house drops below 50 or if the freezer rises above 20. Fortunately it hasn't been an issue for me yet, but I am confident that I would know of any problems in time to deal with it.

mtmuley

WKR
Was close to this earlier this year. Went into the freezer for a pizza and it was thawed. GFCI had tripped for some reason! Glad all the meat was still frozen!

NEVER plug a freezer into a GFCI circuit. Dedicated only. mtmuley

Jethro

WKR
If your freezer stops working, whatever you lose is covered by your home owners insurance. In the case of the OP I don't know how it would work since the electric was purposely turned off. My dads freezer crapped out with my elk and all his food in. Homeowners insurance compensated very well for it. Worth a phone call to your insurance rep. I now have alarms on my freezers and so does my dad.

ChrisAU

WKR
Also worth noting that if it is due to a storm in an area that was declared an emergency/disaster FEMA will pay up to $500, no insurance involved. Had a few people take them up on that in my area after Michael this year.

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I had a close call this past summer when my kids messed with the controls on the side of my deep freezer. The meat inside was still solid but the freezer was turned way up and it was well on its way to thawing out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9QF64N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I duct taped over the control knob and bought one of these alarms with 2 sensors. Tested it out and the alarm is fairly loud and stays on until you shut it off. Pretty cheap insurance for 2 freezers.

ChrisAU

WKR
I had a close call this past summer when my kids messed with the controls on the side of my deep freezer. The meat inside was still solid but the freezer was turned way up and it was well on its way to thawing out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9QF64N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I duct taped over the control knob and bought one of these alarms with 2 sensors. Tested it out and the alarm is fairly loud and stays on until you shut it off. Pretty cheap insurance for 2 freezers.

Nice, just ordered one of those, thanks!

YBPS

WKR
Make sure you install a dedicated circuit to your freezers. An alarm is also nice. Bummer man. Big bummer.