Hornady ELD-X

sako49541

FNG
Last year shot a bull elk 275 yards with the 200 gr. ELD-X high in the shoulder. The bull took about 2 steps before falling over. The bullet didn't exit but got the job done. Dropped a 8pt whitetail in its tracks this year, only about 25 yards with exit wound the size of a baseball. Overall have been very happy and will continue to use the round. Its the most accurate factory round I have found for my Sako 85.

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
The ELDX shot great in my rifle avg. about .6". The Accubond shoots about 1.1" in my rifles. To be honest either is probably accurate enough for the distances I shoot.

Personally, the issue I see with this bullet is to many bought in with the marketing that this bullet would solve the "too close" problem so many of the long range bullets (like Bergers) have. They bought the hype the Interlock ring would keep the bullet together for deep penetration and weight retention. That ring is useless with high impact speeds and a polymer tip. They come unglued just like SST's do because they are, for all practical purposes, the same bullet.

I have killed mule deer at 80yds (shortest) and 588yds (longest) using a 162 ELD-X. Neither went far after being hit, maybe 20yds on thier own accord. The incline helped another 20. All in all they have been extremely accurate and deadly for me.

elkguide

WKR
I've watched several animals fall to the ELD-X's and wanted to use them in my new .300 Win Mag but they were only at best a MOA bullet. Better than the Nosler Accu-bonds or LRAB's but nowhere near the Berger VLD's @ -.5" groups.

I group rifle bullets into 3 categories. 1) target/match bullets. 2) fast-expanding hunting bullets 3) controlled expanding hunting bullets. There's a million different variations within each category, and the pros and cons can be quibbled over forever, but the ELD-X falls in the fast-expanding category. It has a great BC, super neato new pretty tip, but it is nothing more than a somewhat soft, fast-expanding hunting bullet. Different velocities will yield different results. It does fill a nice niche for smaller calibers to allow more energy retention at longer range. 7mm-08 and 6.5 creedmoor are 2 of the best examples of this. Take it for what it is. We will hear fantastic success stories and utter failure stories one right after another for years to come in regards to this projectile. I think it's proven that it can reliably take most game, but sometimes it's not as picture perfect as some would like. I killed a black bear with one out of a .280 rem, it performed just fine. The bear ran about 60 yds and died, bullet blew through the lungs. The bear was not skinned, boned, and gift wrapped for me when I got to it....but then that's never happened with any other bullet either.

ColeyG

WKR
I just picked up a new Mountain Ascent in 6.5 Creedmoor and went through a mini-break-in process at the range last week.

This was my last group at 300 yards with the 143gr ELD-X factory "Precision Hunter" load.

The rifle seems to like them. I am hoping the animals don't like them at all!

IMG_3750.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I had great results as far as accuracy goes with both the 200 grain and 212 grain ELD-X in 300 Win Mag.

I only had one kill with ELD-X, and that was with the 212 load. It did require two shots. Bullets struck my point of aim on the bull elk. Ranges were similar: 451 yards and 487 yards.

So this wasn’t an issue:

Different velocities will yield different results.

What was different was shot placement. The first shot impacted the scapula, which it shattered as the ELD-X violently fragmented. The remaining cup veered vertically into on side backstrap, where I recovered it. A few tiny fragments penetrated the on side lung, but damage was minimal.

The bull dropped at the shot, but soon jumped up and trotted to the slightly longer range. He offered a heavily quartering away shot. This bullet hit behind the last rib, liver, and lung before stopping under the hide in the off side armpit. I also recovered that slug, which was a catalog-worthy mushroom.

This is, of course, an insufficient sample size to make any conclusions about terminal performance, so I offer it as an anecdote only. I haven’t decided if I will try to increase that sample size in the upcoming year or not.

Here are the recovered bullets:

6a085fdca89c4ef58be56fb63c0f78d8.jpg

I've only put the 200 ELDx bullets through a couple animals.

Whitetail at 2700 FPS impact velocity, broadside behind the shoulder, made a mess inside, 2-3" exit.

Mature bull elk 2600 FPS impact velocity, broadside behind the shoulder, effective but not explosive inside, 1.5" exit. Second shot hit spine and cause a bit more of a mess but wasn't more messy than I'd expect any other bullet to be. I've seen worse from CEB copper bullets hitting spine.

I'll continue using them.

cmahoney

WKR
Seems like the issues have been with faster and some lighter moving ELDX bullets like the examples of magnums in this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Please don’t misunderstand, as I’m not trying to bash anybody or be condescending... but, I think a lot of people set unrealistic expectations of how these bullets (or any LR bullet) should perform at relatively close distances/high impact velocity (this may be due to marketing hype and/or a lack of knowledge of the product [again, not trying to be condescending here]). Honestly, punching through the “leg bone” (I’m assuming the knuckle based on the expectation of the shot placement being lethal?) of an elk under 200 yds then making it into the chest cavity with satisfactory performance is a tall order for just about any bullet, let alone a bullet designed for LR hunting.

When selecting a bullet I think there are a couple things to consider to ensure you are not disappointed with performance...

- How far are you really going to be shooting? If you don’t intend to shoot beyond 500 yds with most common hunting cartridges, then there really isn’t a NEED for a LR bullet. On the contrary, if there is a possibility of a long shot there is definitely a NEED for a LR bullet.

- How do you want the bullet to perform? ( do you want high weight retention, perfect mushroom, and 2 holes? Or are you comfortable with a more frangible bullet that “dumps” all its energy inside the cavity? )

.... just like everything in life, there is always some give and take and bullets are no different ... No LR hunting bullet is going to consistently give you that intact, high weight retention, mushroomed bullet with an exit hole in close (higher impact velocities).... just like you cannot count on an accubond opening at 1,000 yds (lower impact velocity)

After several big game animals taken both long and in close (as close as 30 yds), I have been very satisfied with the performance of the ELD-X (and ELD-M).... But I want a LR bullet.... and while the ELD’s don’t perform like an accubond in close they’ll still penetrate through a scapula and take out the vitals, which is adequate for me. Matter of fact, I actually prefer the way they “dump” their energy in the cavity rather than the high weight retention and exit hole of an accubond. They’re definitely not for everyone, but I like them.

Ebby

WKR
I shoot the 220gr ELD-X from my 330 RUM. Killed a bull in NM a couple of weeks ago with it. Shot was quartering to pretty hard almost straight on. Velocity was 3100 muzzle and range was 235 yards. Bullet went in right at chest/shoulder. Decent amount of blood shot meat on front shoulder and then bullet ran the length of the animal and wrecked everything inside. Bullet core was in the pelvis. Bull ran 109 yards from impact. Not much blood for 30-40 yards but that was expected based on the angle. I was pleased with bullet performance. My sample of one elk with the bigger ELD-x.

Lee

cmahoney

WKR
Please don’t misunderstand, as I’m not trying to bash anybody or be condescending... but, I think a lot of people set unrealistic expectations of how these bullets (or any LR bullet) should perform at relatively close distances/high impact velocity (this may be due to marketing hype and/or a lack of knowledge of the product [again, not trying to be condescending here]). Honestly, punching through the “leg bone” (I’m assuming the knuckle based on the expectation of the shot placement being lethal?) of an elk under 200 yds then making it into the chest cavity with satisfactory performance is a tall order for just about any bullet, let alone a bullet designed for LR hunting.

When selecting a bullet I think there are a couple things to consider to ensure you are not disappointed with performance...

- How far are you really going to be shooting? If you don’t intend to shoot beyond 500 yds with most common hunting cartridges, then there really isn’t a NEED for a LR bullet. On the contrary, if there is a possibility of a long shot there is definitely a NEED for a LR bullet.

- How do you want the bullet to perform? ( do you want high weight retention, perfect mushroom, and 2 holes? Or are you comfortable with a more frangible bullet that “dumps” all its energy inside the cavity? )

.... just like everything in life, there is always some give and take and bullets are no different ... No LR hunting bullet is going to consistently give you that intact, high weight retention, mushroomed bullet with an exit hole in close (higher impact velocities).... just like you cannot count on an accubond opening at 1,000 yds (lower impact velocity)

After several big game animals taken both long and in close (as close as 30 yds), I have been very satisfied with the performance of the ELD-X (and ELD-M).... But I want a LR bullet.... and while the ELD’s don’t perform like an accubond in close they’ll still penetrate through a scapula and take out the vitals, which is adequate for me. Matter of fact, I actually prefer the way they “dump” their energy in the cavity rather than the high weight retention and exit hole of an accubond. They’re definitely not for everyone, but I like them.

That sums it up, there really isn’t a do all bullet. The ELDX’s do seem to retain their weight much better than the Berger’s I was previously using. I am trying them for that reason. I think the best practice would be to use the heavier ELDX’s in the magnums if you have a fast enough barrel.

Great info in this discussion, I tend to geek out on ballistics when I have the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
I've killed 2 elk with the 225 eldm and a bear. Both 1 shot 1 kills on the elk, 2 shots for the bear ( ass shot ther bear first shot). My gun killed another elk in nevada shooting the same round.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
After watching the long range hunt shows I decided to try the sleek Hornady 162gr. ELDX in my 7mm RM. I have been fortunate to be able to hunt elk each year with some pretty good tags in my pocket. My usual bullets to use on bulls have been the 160 gr. Nosler Accubond and Parition. I don't have a lot of complaints about Nosler bullets.
The trouble started this year when the elk appeared at only 183 yards. I put him down with first shot but when I walked up to him he would flop around trying to get up. Finishing shot was at about 15 feet. Unfortunatley his leg bone was covering his ribs and the bullet didn't penetrate deep enough. I felt a sadness as I watched the animal thrash and suffer for a couple minutes. Normally I try not to judge a bullet on one trial but for me the Noslers are more reassuring. One guy asked me if the ELDX bullet failed since I killed the elk, I suppose not but it wasn't pretty. To the guys using the ELDX with good luck please continue. These are just my observations.

What happened to the bullet??
Wound channel??

Dead animals do not equal good bullet performance
Animals running off does not mean a bullet failure either

A bullet failure= bullet failure....

We have used the ELD X a fair bit, 200grain and now 178gn in a .300wsm. Most game shot under 300 yards. We have been getting massive penetration. Mots bullets we have found have a good mushroom, some have core separation once you remove the bullet.
Lots pass clean trough. We shoot lower velocities generally so that does make a difference.

The partition will for sure be a more reliable hard hitter, and so will the accubond.

What speed you getting with the 7mm???