Hornady ELD-X

gbflyer

WKR
Please don’t misunderstand, as I’m not trying to bash anybody or be condescending... but, I think a lot of people set unrealistic expectations of how these bullets (or any LR bullet) should perform at relatively close distances/high impact velocity (this may be due to marketing hype and/or a lack of knowledge of the product [again, not trying to be condescending here]). Honestly, punching through the “leg bone” (I’m assuming the knuckle based on the expectation of the shot placement being lethal?) of an elk under 200 yds then making it into the chest cavity with satisfactory performance is a tall order for just about any bullet, let alone a bullet designed for LR hunting.

When selecting a bullet I think there are a couple things to consider to ensure you are not disappointed with performance...

- How far are you really going to be shooting? If you don’t intend to shoot beyond 500 yds with most common hunting cartridges, then there really isn’t a NEED for a LR bullet. On the contrary, if there is a possibility of a long shot there is definitely a NEED for a LR bullet.

- How do you want the bullet to perform? ( do you want high weight retention, perfect mushroom, and 2 holes? Or are you comfortable with a more frangible bullet that “dumps” all its energy inside the cavity? )

.... just like everything in life, there is always some give and take and bullets are no different ... No LR hunting bullet is going to consistently give you that intact, high weight retention, mushroomed bullet with an exit hole in close (higher impact velocities).... just like you cannot count on an accubond opening at 1,000 yds (lower impact velocity)

After several big game animals taken both long and in close (as close as 30 yds), I have been very satisfied with the performance of the ELD-X (and ELD-M).... But I want a LR bullet.... and while the ELD’s don’t perform like an accubond in close they’ll still penetrate through a scapula and take out the vitals, which is adequate for me. Matter of fact, I actually prefer the way they “dump” their energy in the cavity rather than the high weight retention and exit hole of an accubond. They’re definitely not for everyone, but I like them.

Well said. Interestingly enough, I use 140 Nosler CC hpbt and 140 Partitions in my 6.5 Creed. Identical powder charge, almost identical velocities. They both hit a steel plate at 600 in the same place with no vertical adjustment. I would like to see where the BT becomes more efficient. A good test for one of theses days. I could easily carry both loads and be confident.

mtmuley

WKR
they blow up on shoulders seen it 3 times on white tail does but then seen them kill a bunch to all bullets fail if you ask enough people
Hmmm... I've been using them to kill stuff for about 16 years in a few different cartridges. I'll keep that in mind though. And, I saw the theory of energy "dump" mentioned. That always gives me a chuckle. mtmuley

ckleeves

WKR
Please don’t misunderstand, as I’m not trying to bash anybody or be condescending... but, I think a lot of people set unrealistic expectations of how these bullets (or any LR bullet) should perform at relatively close distances/high impact velocity (this may be due to marketing hype and/or a lack of knowledge of the product [again, not trying to be condescending here]). Honestly, punching through the “leg bone” (I’m assuming the knuckle based on the expectation of the shot placement being lethal?) of an elk under 200 yds then making it into the chest cavity with satisfactory performance is a tall order for just about any bullet, let alone a bullet designed for LR hunting.

When selecting a bullet I think there are a couple things to consider to ensure you are not disappointed with performance...

- How far are you really going to be shooting? If you don’t intend to shoot beyond 500 yds with most common hunting cartridges, then there really isn’t a NEED for a LR bullet. On the contrary, if there is a possibility of a long shot there is definitely a NEED for a LR bullet.

- How do you want the bullet to perform? ( do you want high weight retention, perfect mushroom, and 2 holes? Or are you comfortable with a more frangible bullet that “dumps” all its energy inside the cavity? )

.... just like everything in life, there is always some give and take and bullets are no different ... No LR hunting bullet is going to consistently give you that intact, high weight retention, mushroomed bullet with an exit hole in close (higher impact velocities).... just like you cannot count on an accubond opening at 1,000 yds (lower impact velocity)

After several big game animals taken both long and in close (as close as 30 yds), I have been very satisfied with the performance of the ELD-X (and ELD-M).... But I want a LR bullet.... and while the ELD’s don’t perform like an accubond in close they’ll still penetrate through a scapula and take out the vitals, which is adequate for me. Matter of fact, I actually prefer the way they “dump” their energy in the cavity rather than the high weight retention and exit hole of an accubond. They’re definitely not for everyone, but I like them.

X2. There isn’t a perfect all range/every situation bullet. You can’t have good expansion at low velocity and not have have over expansion/ fragmentation at high velocity. Just like you can’t have a bullet expand perfectly at high velocity and expect it to upset at low velocity.

In a perfect world I would want a bullet that breaks bone like a mono, expands at high velocity like a TBBC/Accubond/partition and expands at low velocity like a Berger or Eldx/eldm. I may be waiting a while for this one lol.

I like the softer LR bullets (Berger’s/ eldx/ eldm) but you have to know the strengths and weaknesses of them and base your shot selection accordingly imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

setch

WKR
I just picked up a new Mountain Ascent in 6.5 Creedmoor and went through a mini-break-in process at the range last week.

This was my last group at 300 yards with the 143gr ELD-X factory "Precision Hunter" load.

The rifle seems to like them. I am hoping the animals don't like them at all!

View attachment 83196

These seem to hold potential as a factory load for the creedmoor. Hoping mine likes as well as yours.

These seem to hold potential as a factory load for the creedmoor. Hoping mine likes as well as yours.

My Bergara B14 loved them and shot under 1 MOA all day long with them. No trouble ringing steel out to 1000. Had that gun dialed in great for my Wyo mule deer hunt and shot my buck at 60 yards go figure! Lmao

ColeyG

WKR
The factory PH in 6.5 was a little slower than I would like and/or expect. My 8 shot average MV was 2629. That is out of a 22" barrel with a muzzle break. With a single revolution custom turret, that gets me out to 580 yards, which is about all I'd want to shoot at for hunting applications. I was definitely impressed with the 300yd group for an out of the box rifle and factory ammo.

cmahoney

WKR
The factory PH in 6.5 was a little slower than I would like and/or expect. My 8 shot average MV was 2629. That is out of a 22" barrel with a muzzle break. With a single revolution custom turret, that gets me out to 580 yards, which is about all I'd want to shoot at for hunting applications. I was definitely impressed with the 300yd group for an out of the box rifle and factory ammo.

I thought the same thing. I have a 24” barrel and wasn’t much faster. I am sure I can get over 2700 FPS when I get around to loading some of them.

Dont get to high on that horse they dont call them accubombs for nothing

I've been shooting them since 2004 with no complaints. Killed a bull this year with one out of a .325 WSM.

- - - Updated - - -

they blow up on shoulders seen it 3 times on white tail does but then seen them kill a bunch to all bullets fail if you ask enough people

That's funny because I would have expected them to blow up on the elk I shot this year since they are much bigger and tougher than whitetail. Two through the shoulder and no blow ups. One exited, one didn't

KurtR

WKR
what cartridge ,bullet weight, shot distance. Any pictures??

one was a 264 win mag with 140 at 150 yards or so. another with a 270 dont know bullet weight distance was 80 yards. . No pictures. Also witnessed both those guns kill does at same range same distance with no problem. A few years back when deer numbers were way up we each had up wards of six plus tags so saw lots of bullets and killing. If the animal is dead i dont know if you can call it a failure or just didnt perform as expected.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been shooting them since 2004 with no complaints. Killed a bull this year with one out of a .325 WSM.

- - - Updated - - -

That's funny because I would have expected them to blow up on the elk I shot this year since they are much bigger and tougher than whitetail. Two through the shoulder and no blow ups. One exited, one didn't

thats good.

YBPS

WKR
I think there is a ratio of bullet weight/ velocity/ and animal size. The 6,5 CM with the 143 vs a deer sized creature at its velocity 2500 ish is a deadly combination. I think that it's the resistance/mass of the animal you are shooting that helps the bullet perform. That's why I think the huge magnums with 200 grain plus bullets don't alway drop deer in their tracks when you have guys with little 6.5 cm's that just hammer them.... I shoot everything with a 7mm 180 Berger at 3100. Seems to drop elk faster than deer and I thinks it's the mass of the animal. The deer is a little more like a hot knife through butter with that round. It always works, just a little different on the smaller animals.

Just shoot what you like....I like bergers. Never had any animal walk away.

one was a 264 win mag with 140 at 150 yards or so. another with a 270 dont know bullet weight distance was 80 yards. . No pictures. Also witnessed both those guns kill does at same range same distance with no problem. A few years back when deer numbers were way up we each had up wards of six plus tags so saw lots of bullets and killing. If the animal is dead i dont know if you can call it a failure or just didnt perform as expected.
It's asking a lot from a bullet out of two fairly quick cartridges at closer ranges for them not to explode when shooting heavy bone and muscle. Partitions, A-Frames, and Mono bullets are about all I'd expect to give exit holes being driven that hard while shooting shoulders that close.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot 160gr Accubonds out of a 7 RM at about 2950fps since 2006 and had excellent results on deer, pigs, and a few elk. Everything was one shot kills with very impressive results. I decided to try out the 175 ELDX bullets with the higher BC and supposedly interlock ring to keep the bullet together. Reloads have proved to be very accurate. Unfortunately I have not been able to test this on game yet. Maybe next week. But anyways, next year I think I'll go back to accubonds. I just feel more comfortable with them and know pretty much exactly how they will perform on game. I do not take extremely long shots anyways. Farthest shot I have made on a deer is 300yds with the potential to shoot only 350yds. Where we elk hunt I think the max shot range is like 500yds. I'll need more practice if I want to take a shot like that. The reviews on the ELDX bullets are not very consistent. I think I will just go with experience.

I shot 2 whitetails with a 143gr eldx out of a 6.5 creedmoor this season. both one shot kills, I did recover one of the bullets. I came away with that the eldx is probably a good deer bullet, but not an elk bullet. just my .02

I shot 2 whitetails with a 143gr eldx out of a 6.5 creedmoor this season. both one shot kills, I did recover one of the bullets. I came away with that the eldx is probably a good deer bullet, but not an elk bullet. just my .02
What makes you think its not a good elk bullet?

Buddy and his dad both shot elk this year and last with the bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
It's asking a lot from a bullet out of two fairly quick cartridges at closer ranges for them not to explode when shooting heavy bone and muscle. Partitions, A-Frames, and Mono bullets are about all I'd expect to give exit holes being driven that hard while shooting shoulders that close.

Thats a fact also seen a tsx out the .264 pencil through at 150. All bullets fail if you ask enough people. The only one i cant seem to remember failing is the partion has any one had one of them fail?

What makes you think its not a good elk bullet?

Buddy and his dad both shot elk this year and last with the bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I did not like the hollow mushroom. The sides peeled back to form a good mushroom, but the center was hollow. I just figured the bullet would come apart easily on bigger boned animals. This was with a 6.5 creedmor.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shot a smallish bull and a big bodied muley with a 162 eldx from a 7 mag this year.

Bull was a broadside lung hit at 140 yards. He turned a 180 and stood so I shot him again. Neither bullet exited, but found fragments under hide of off sides. Jelly inside. Never ran, just laid down and slid downhill.

Buck was broadside at 130, another lung hit. Ran 10 yards and stopped so I shot him again. Fragments exited the off side, jelly internal. He ran a total of 20 yards.

Saw another buck shot far back with a 143 eldx from a creed at about 120 yards. Angled shot, may have gotten into the liver or possibly through the diaphragm, but certainly not an ideal shot. Buck went 30 yards, bedded, and died.

Blood trails haven't been really good since you have a caliber sized entry and no exit, but if you go to where you shot and look within 30 yards for the animal I cant complain too much about tracking blood.