Kids first elk hunt

mixed bag

FNG
Doing some research on Colorado units for me 12 year olds first elk hunt.Im looking at units 500 and 66.Leaning toward 3rd season for better chance of snow for tracking.Plus, we have 100% draw odds and not bad Hunter numbers
Question is about the terrain in those units.Hoping they may be a little more accessible come third season as far as distance from roads But is it very steep country?.We are from East coast but we are in good shape I hunt elk every year and he'll be in football.Elevation and steep hills make it tough still.If anyone's hunted either unit can you give me your impression of the terrain.I don't want his first trip miserable

Lonestar6

FNG
I have never hunted 66 but drove through there a couple times and it's some really steep country. I have never been in 500. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've elk hunted 66, and it's some of the steepest country out there that still holds elk. It wouldn't be my first choice for taking a new hunter out, personally. But at least it's limited entry so it should have less hunters than an OTC unit. That being said it's not a unit with particularly high success rates in the rifle seasons due to the terrain.