2019 Archery Elk Hunt

Brady1

FNG
Hey guys i'm new to Rokslide and to elk hunting! Next year I am planning a archery elk hunt in Idaho and don't really know where to start as to picking a unit to hunt! As a beginner i'm not real thrilled of the idea of hunting in grizzly country and from what I've researched so far that means that basically the north and the east side of the state is out of the question. I have also heard that basically anywhere you go on public lands your going to run into other hunters. So with that being said i want to pick a unit where if we get bumped out of one spot by other hunters then i have plenty of other options to go that aren't to far away. Don't know if we are going to set up a base camp to come back to or hunt with camp on our backs. Kind of thought that would be a decision to make depending on the water sources in the area. I'm not looking for anybody's honey holes or anything like that but just some advice to get me in the right direction. Also we aren't picky as to what size of bull but would just like to get into some bugling action and have some fun chasing some elk! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

9Line

FNG
Hey guys i'm new to Rokslide and to elk hunting! Next year I am planning a archery elk hunt in Idaho and don't really know where to start as to picking a unit to hunt! As a beginner i'm not real thrilled of the idea of hunting in grizzly country and from what I've researched so far that means that basically the north and the east side of the state is out of the question. I have also heard that basically anywhere you go on public lands your going to run into other hunters. So with that being said i want to pick a unit where if we get bumped out of one spot by other hunters then i have plenty of other options to go that aren't to far away. Don't know if we are going to set up a base camp to come back to or hunt with camp on our backs. Kind of thought that would be a decision to make depending on the water sources in the area. I'm not looking for anybody's honey holes or anything like that but just some advice to get me in the right direction. Also we aren't picky as to what size of bull but would just like to get into some bugling action and have some fun chasing some elk! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Best advice I can offer, as I have never been to Idaho is, get goHunt.

I would also like to add that if you are worried about bumping into other Hunters you going to have a hard time.... expect to run into other guys and use it to your advantage. Talk to em, make new friends, get to know where the animals kind of are where the people kind of are. I like to share my intel, because i know its a bargaining chip. A little help on the mountain goes a long ways, you might need a pull out of a mudhole (been there thanks guys!!!)

md126

WKR
Brady1, no offense but posts virtually identical to yours have been posted here NUMEROUS times, especially by people with no history on Rokslide. I especially cringe when I see “not looking for anyone’s honey holes or anything..” because that’s exactly what you and everyone else is looking for.

Anyway, that being said I’d do a ton of your own research (lots of fun) and just go hunting. Stick to the same units if you can and learn them well. Sooner or later you’ll find your own honey hole and if you’re smart you won’t post it on the internet. Good luck and be safe!

I planned my first DIY Idaho elk trip a few years ago and this would be my advice for what its worth.

Put your top 3 zone choices in a hat and pick one. Seriously, dont stress over it. You can find elk if you do your work ahead of time as well as while your hunting. Dont waste your time trying to find the "BEST" area. Pick an area and learn the terrain on google earth for the next 6 months. If you can have 3 areas e-scouted before heading out thats a decent start. Start training physically NOW! Seriously, dont wait til 2 months out to start hiking.

Once your there id offer these tips. Move faster then you think you should when trying to find sign and dont get hung up on old sign. If its not from the last 48 hours keep moving. Dont go balls to the wall on the first day. Hunt away from the pressure, no matter how good the area looks on a map. Dont be afraid to move areas if you saw no fresh sign or actual elk. Giving a spot 3 days is a lot of wasted time.

Have a great trip man!!

bsnedeker

WKR
I planned my first DIY Idaho elk trip a few years ago and this would be my advice for what its worth.

Put your top 3 zone choices in a hat and pick one. Seriously, dont stress over it. You can find elk if you do your work ahead of time as well as while your hunting. Dont waste your time trying to find the "BEST" area. Pick an area and learn the terrain on google earth for the next 6 months. If you can have 3 areas e-scouted before heading out thats a decent start. Start training physically NOW! Seriously, dont wait til 2 months out to start hiking.

Once your there id offer these tips. Move faster then you think you should when trying to find sign and dont get hung up on old sign. If its not from the last 48 hours keep moving. Dont go balls to the wall on the first day. Hunt away from the pressure, no matter how good the area looks on a map. Dont be afraid to move areas if you saw no fresh sign or actual elk. Giving a spot 3 days is a lot of wasted time.

Have a great trip man!!

We should just copy and paste this response into every one of these "not looking for honey holes" posts that come up...this is exactly the right advice!

Fullfan

WKR
We all had to start somewhere, learn from mistakes and move on. Great bunch of guys here that will do what they can to help. Keep an open mind when you get to Idaho, and if you hunt national forest or BLM you will not be alone. And be in great physical shape, Idaho will humble you..

9Line

FNG
I would like to compound on my earlier response about goHunt. The reason I stated this, and no tot be short, but there is so much info on that site. You will be able to gather far more knowledge there, than by trying to get guys here to take the time to help you out. Now before I get bashed, there are a ton of people here that will help, myself included, but as a new member, it can be more difficult. Your participation on the site goes a long way. There are a ton of knowledgeable folks here, and most of them can and will be truthfully helpful, with that being said, it takes time, as they have to read your request, and then also take the time to respond. Whereas, goHunt allows you a ton of knowledge at your fingertips. Yes it is a paid service, but well worth it. Just keep in mind that you will learn so much on that site, that it could even make the decision process that much more difficult, bu tat least it will narrow it down for you, regarding specifically what you are asking for. If you need any furhter help, just PM me.

GregB

WKR
IDFG website probably has all the same info as go hunt and it's free. And what mathews8pt said is sound advice.

OP
B

Brady1

FNG
Appreciate all the help guys. I’ll take whatever advice I can get! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Have a great trip man!!

Thanks man this is extremely helpful. Really Appreciate it

Appreciate all the help guys. I’ll take whatever advice I can get! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks man this is extremely helpful. Really Appreciate it

Not a problem! There are a lot of guys here that will help and if you have any questions about planning, logistics, gear, etc; feel free to message me and ill try to help. I cant help with honey holes though, all of mine are already full of other guys. lol

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
OnX Maps and GoHunt! Onx maps for the layers helps scouting (Finding Burns, water, etc...), and go hunt also gives valuable info. Game Biologists and Game Officers in the areas as well!