2019 Archery Elk w/ Youth hunter

rokclmb

FNG
Seeking thoughts/advice on a back country elk hunt next Sept with my 12yo son. I've talked with a couple individuals on their experiences but thought I'd see what the masses have to offer. Want to make the hunt as safe/fun as I can. What we've done in the past however may not be best for a youth hunter. Here's a brief overview of the plan and our background:

* Pack in 5-6 miles and camp for the week(Moderate hike (2000' elevation gain from truck to camp @ 9000'). We know the area well, hunted it for years and get into elk daily. NO Cell Service
* Will be at least 2 adults, maybe three on the trip as well.
* My son is in great shape physically (runs XC, baseball/basketball) and shoots his bow well for his age. Killed his first buck this season with his Hoyt.
* I plan to outfit my son with everything needed to be comfortable and he'll not be packing a lot of weight (maybe 20lbs at most?)

Here's my short list of concerns:

* Long drive to/from
* Pre-teen attention span and mental toughness
* Altitude issues (max of 10,000'. We've been out west on multiple vacations no issues yet)
* No cell service in case of emergency
* Food/water issues in the back country.

Be great to hear from anyone who has any real life experiences with this type of hunt. Ideas, do's/don't, items to take along, etc. Not looking for opinions from folks who've not done such a hunt. I'd consider a different style hunt if needed but we like where we hunt and would like to stick with it. I've considered flying out 2 weeks prior to our arrival and hiking in to stash some additional creature comforts (non-essential items) to make the hunt more comfortable. And to also put up some trail cams for entertainment purposes upon arrival.

Thanks

GregB

WKR
One of the biggest things I learned hunting with my kid is he is not going to be able to put in the miles or tackle the terrain that I will over the course of a hunt. The first year I took him out we put in 8 miles in a day. He did fine on the hike but the next day he was so sore and tired we didn't get much hunting in the next day. Now I'm always asking him how he's feeling, if he's sore etc so I don't break him off. I also give him some options to choose from for the days hunt so he can pick distance and terrain based on how he's feeling and what he wants to do. I would also look at how much he is carrying in terms of percentage of body weight vs. actual weight. 20lbs isn't much for a 200lb guy but for a 100lb kid it's 20% of his body weight. As far as no cell service I would get an InReach, if you have an emergency you can get help and it's peace of mind for the wife when you check in and let her know you're still alive. Take a look at a good map to figure out the water situation in the area. I also try to keep the focus on the adventure of being in the woods and being able to see some awesome sights as opposed to having to get an animal on the ground. It's also an opportunity to teach field craft and hunting skills and ethics. Good luck.

OP
rokclmb

rokclmb

FNG
I would also look at how much he is carrying in terms of percentage of body weight vs. actual weight. 20lbs isn't much for a 200lb guy but for a 100lb kid it's 20% of his body weight. As far as no cell service I would get an InReach, if you have an emergency you can get help and it's peace of mind for the wife when you check in and let her know you're still alive. Take a look at a good map to figure out the water situation in the area.

Appreciate the feedback. My son isn't big for his age so 20# might be on the high end on his ability. As long as he can pack in his food/bow/clothes I'll handle the rest. I'll be sure he gets in several training hikes with me to get a feel for the pack weight. I've mentioned the InReach to the wife and she's basically indifferent on that. I'm not going to rule it out yet but if she gets anxious last min I'll pick one up. Be nice to keep in touch. I guess I should have been more clear on the food/water comment. Water is everywhere and we filter/treat it. Food is kind of my main concern. Eating mtn house style meals for a kid that age might not be enjoyable or good for him. I'll be doing some research on alternatives and of course we do take other foods as well. Love the comment on field craft and skills. This will certainly be part of the trip and I'll also let him make some of the hunting decisions along the way. Thank you.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest part for me taking my 13 year old on his first pack trip was resetting my expectations. My goal was to see how much I could make him want to come back next year. What did that mean in reality?

- Slower hike in. I added an hour+ to the hike in to take the packs off, shoes off, eat, drink. Just slow down. (Side benefit is you'll miss less animals)
- We took a morning off to sleep in and recover. This produced a huge increase in energy.
- Focus on food/snacks even if it increased weight. Eat OFTEN, before hunger sets in. Lot's of fat.
- If feet are cold, hands, hot spot, ect...stop. Fix it. And then fix it again if needed. Do not get frustrated and opt to grit it out.
- Focus on hydration. This is the biggest hedge against altitude related issues along with eating a lot.

The other thing I did was take him backpacking twice prior to the trip. You can shake down gear and solve problems prior to the hunt. It will also help break in his feet, boots and expectations for the trip.

The end result of all of this was one of the funnest hunts of my life. It's so easy to get focused on animals and forget that just getting out is reward enough in our hectic lives. To be out with your son, teaching about hunting and spending that time together is magical. HAVE FUN!!!!

Last edited:
I took my 9 year old son on a backcountry grouse hunt last year. 3 days in September. We back packed in, set up camp, and hunted grouse with some fishing mixed in. He was able to cover 3 miles or so per day pretty easily in some thick stuff with some elevation gains and losses mixed in. I put in a lot of time figuring out a place to go that would test him, but not ruin him. Hydration is the most important thing, followed by nutrition. I let him pick all of his snacks, and ordered Heathers Choice meals after he'd tried several and picked his favorites over the summer. We used a floorless 'mid with stove. Normally I wouldn't pack a stove that time of year, but 40° mornings are cold for kids. It was a great trip and he's counting the days until we go again. Gotta make it fun, let them have time to explore and you'll get a chance to see nature from a far different perspective.

sndmn11

WKR
I took my 10 year old cousin a few times during the archery season in the past, and a tennis ball with some blunt tipped arrows kept the short attention span from turning him into a demon.

nagibson1

FNG
everything I've read about getting kids into hunting and fishing focuses on making sure that it's fun, even if it costs you your goal. This is definitely been true for my four children in fishing, and hunting so far. This year will be my first Western hunt with one of my girls, but she will be 16.

In previous years, I have not kept them in the stand longer than they wanted to hunt, and I have tried to make sure that they were warm, and fed – like the other people posted. I also treated them nice. For my girls, I could tell they were mainly focused on spending time outside and spending time with me. My boy wants something to die, preferably a bunch of walleyes, or a large animal.

hobbes

WKR
It's been several years and we didn't pack in as far, but the link is my season with my son in 2012. Part of the season was day hunts.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/journal-of-a-new-elk-hunters-first-season.3252/

Enjoy every minute of it. Just plan on slowing down some and you should be fine. Expect the possibility of missed opportunities for yourself. I brought my kids up hunting with me, but don't have near the opportunity to hunt with them now. I miss it terribly and don't regret any of the time we had hunting.

Bandit141

FNG
rokclmb
I agree with many others comments here.
I took my kids hiking a lot when they were young and to them it was just another day out. It's easy to underestimate children's capabilities. I know in the end though, as adults, we're responsible for making sure they're safe at the end of the day.

When my kids were younger, I learned when to know their half way point (the point when I knew they were half spent and still had to get back to the trailhead) I actually made a mistake or two with that once and had to pack my daughter out several miles on my back :) Granted she was only 5 and not 12.

One of my daughters got her first cow elk at 12 years old. My 5 year old son who was getting ready to turn 6, wanted to go so bad that I let him hop on the horse and go (we led the horse up to pack out the meat if she got one).
We hiked up to the rim at a point that was over 2,000 vertical feet in about 2 miles.

Turns out My son who wasn't even six yet ended up hiking all the way up and back down.
My daughter was able to harvest a cow elk that day and I couldn't imagine that day not being a part of our memory. Sure it was only one day but it was daylight to well past dark and a bit tiring even for a guy that was in shape and lived at 7000 ft.

That 5 year old boy is now turning 15 and is an elk packing machine.
I'll attach a couple pics of the terrain.

Either they dig it or they don't but it's up to us to give them that opportunity to be a hunter for life.
If it was me with my son in the same scenario, I'd take him.

Attachments

• spring 2009 015.jpg
    spring 2009 015.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 9
  • spring 2009 016.jpg
    spring 2009 016.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 9

ElkNut1

WKR
One question I have is who's idea is it, his or yours? Is he chomping at the bit & wants to do everything you want to do & go where you go no matter what! Some kids are that way & some aren't! If this is mostly your idea & you're trying to convince him how great it will be then you are biting waay to much off for him to enjoy the experience.

I have two boys, they were totally different when it came to hunting, fishing or any type of recreation. One would follow me to the ends of the earth regardless of his footwear or gear & the other could care less, he had to be prodded along to do anything of the sort.

The one still loves it even today many, many years later. Good luck to you sir!

ElkNut/Paul

Legend

WKR
Took my 12 year old on his first elk hunt last year. I asked if he wanted an elk or an adventure...without hesitation he chose adventure. We planned a hot tent hunt at the end of November in MT. Deep snow, single digit temps, big elevation change, and 5 mile one way hike, pretty much more than most adults call fun. The reason it was a big success: 2 adults, Inreach, hot tent, kid chose the menu (No matter how heavy), lots of candy, everyone one slept in until my kid woke up, and plenty of "why don't you build the fire." Did I mention candy.

Success is easy to find with kids and hunting. You just have to measure a little different.

Read1t48

WKR
I’ve been taking my son on high oh try backpack hunts since he was 11. My two cents:

1. Check on them often. Go at their pace.
2. Walking sticks for safety.
3. Minimal pack weight.
4. Good boots (this stinks because their feet grow so fast but don’t send them into the mountains with inferior gear)
5. An InReach. It’s a must. He knows how to use it.
6. Pack in his favorite food. Even if it’s not the lightest.
7. Bring lots of food. Eating is like watching tv. They rarely think they get enough.
8. Candy. And more candy.
9. Lots of fluids. Make them drink even when they don’t want to or they will get dehydrated.
10. Come back to camp for naps or rest when they say so.
11. Don’t push them so hard that they can’t get off the mountain. Remember every step away from the vehicle is one more step back.
12. Enjoy every moment with the expectation of quality time and making memories. An animal on the ground is a bonus.
13. Give him a chance to call or text Mom if you get reception.
14. Take lots of photos to encourage him of the following season.
15. Make sure there is food, drinks, candy, and a change of clothes in the vehicle.

OP
rokclmb

rokclmb

FNG
Appreciate all the new comments. To answer a few new questions and update you on our plans. A little long, slightly off topic, but I think this thread will be helpful for others as well:

"WE" Recently decided to wait another year before he goes elk hunting -
* He'll still be really young (turns 12 the end of July) and not as mature as i'd like
* He's come to realize that he'll have to miss 2 XC meets in the fall if he goes elk hunting. (If he chooses running over hunting I still can't complain)
* His grades haven't been great this year and missing almost two weeks of school doesn't look like a good idea

As we've worked to come to this decision I've learned a lot myself about my personal wants/ideas and how I'm going to have to start dealing with my kids interests and passions and how they may differ from mine. It wasn't an easy decision for him to make and I'm glad that he is passionate enough about running that he's willing to put aside something he's wanted to do to pursue his personal goals (He wants to win a couple XC meets this fall).

Since the decision was made that he won't go I've continued with my plans and will still be going out West to pursue archery elk. I realize that there's a chance that I may not get to experience elk hunting with him if he continues to choose other interests over elk hunting. I'm also quite torn about it myself, as I despise missing anything my kids are doing. I know there's a good chance that I will miss his first XC victory (He is pretty fast, got 3rd three meets last season). Not being there to support him and possibly celebrate that feat is going to weigh on me while I'm hunting. But, elk hunting is my passion and I know he understands that.

This is the kinda stuff parents can't plan for. Kids grow up fast and we struggle to keep up. Back country elk hunting isn't something I'm going to force or even try to persuade my kids to do. Like many have said, they gotta want it more than anything else. If that happens next year or 5 years from now I'll be ready to go. In the meantime I'll continue to do my thing and hope they learn and continue to chase their goals with passion and find what makes them truly happy.

ElkNut1

WKR
A very good honest evaluation of your situation, you are certainly a great Dad & are doing your best taking your families wants into consideration, my hats off to you. I wouldn't be surprised to see in the future the two of you hunting side by side! Keep up up with the great attitude!

ElkNut/Paul

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Great subject. I'm in a similar situation this year for archery elk. Last year it was my 14 year old daughter getting her first deer and elk. She's not interested this year! I'm totally fine with it. In general, I don't want them to like something because I do.

My 10 year old boy out of the blue wants to tag along this year. That really changes my aggressive plans.

Last year I took him scouting once. He couldn't handle much hiking. He hit it hard during this past wrestling season so I'm making sure he doesn't fall out of shape. He overcame some big mental obstacles and grew mentally. He's still scrawny but works hard. Like others said. I'll lower my expectations on covering ground and even on the size of the bull I'll tag. If he's there, I'll shoot a rag horn vs a nice 6x6 I was planning on holding out for.

He's excited and even started hunters safety to apply for a controlled hunt and learn more about the process.

Safety wise, I will let extra people know here we'll be. I'll have my DeLorme handy, accessible and he'll know how to use it as well. We'll also do some extra scouting trips to see where things fall.

Lots of good tips up there on post #12. I bought him some Costco trekking poles last weekend.