WY access question

Ebby

WKR
I am looking for some general info and not specific unit type info. I don't want your honey hole. Ha!

I have 9 or 10 points (not sure) and will try and draw a decent area for next year. I'm below max so can't get a great spot but should be able to pull off a pretty nice unit. My main question is in regards to access to areas to hunt. I have a buddy who lives there and can be with me in wilderness areas but he can't be gone more than 2-3 days at a time so I'll have to hunt some non wilderness stuff too. He has a camper that I can use if possible.

Are most of the limited draw units ok to hunt from trailheads out of the truck and stay in a camper or even a motel or do I need to plan to hike way back in and camp? I'm completely fine either way but need to start acquiring gear for extended back country trips if I need to plan on packing way back in there.

I just didn't know if the limited areas had less traffic and were still huntable from roads and parking areas on a day to day basis or will there still be lots of people and horses around and I'll need to get away from the crowds?

Thanks for any helps guys.

lee

Jimss

WKR
There are quite a few elk units in Wyoming that don't have any wilderness areas. You may be able to draw a better quality unit that has a lot of wilderness area since fewer nonres likely apply due to the guide requirement. Hunting pressure can vary depending upon the season date and unit you draw. My guess is that there is likely less hunting pressure once you are in the wilderness areas. The wilderness areas in the Bighorns may be totally different than Western Wyo wilderness areas. Wilderness in the Bighorns in September may have gobs of rutting elk but void of elk when the snow is deep in October. Be prepared for grizz in most of the wilderness areas in Western Wyo! There can always be super rugged and remote areas outside the wilderness areas where you'll likely get away from hunters....this can also change from 1 unit to the next.

One thing you may want to consider is how many cow hunters are in the unit during your particular hunt. Cow hunters usually don't wander too terribly far off roads but there can be an overwhelming number of cow hunters close to roads. You may also want to consider muledeer season dates.

It's a little tough to answer your question because things change so dramatically from 1 unit to the next.

wyodan

WKR
I often hunt from my camper, and I've had a pretty decent success rate throughout my hunting career. This includes general areas, in fact, that's all I tend to hunt anymore. Also, I've never shot an elk in a Wilderness area, and I'm born and raised in Wyoming. One advantage you do get in a limited quota area is you know the number of hunters in the area. This also depends on your definition of packing way back in. My experience is once you get more than a mile from the road, you've eliminated the majority of the hunters anyway. I think elk hunting is totally doable from the camper though.

OP
E

Ebby

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I kind of figured that each unit would be different but i was wondering if the limited areas would less crowded than the general and by default easier to hunt from camper or walking in from a trailhead each day. I have no problem getting several miles or even 10+ to get away from the crowds and camping out for a week or so.

I've done that many times and spent up to 12 straight days in a tent. However, if it's not necessary and the elk will within a few miles of the trailheads and there won't be a ton of pressure, I'd rather stay in the camper or even at a more comfortable basecamp area with my truck nearby.

I'll look into the units that I could draw and try to figure out which ones have more wilderness and such and go from there.

Lee

A good website that makes it pretty easy to see what you can draw is Toprut.com
Also, I agree with others in that at least from my experience there, many if not most people where I hunted were in basecamps at the road.

Last edited:
OP
E

Ebby

WKR
I will prob try to draw a Type 1 or even Type 2 tag and then get the archery stamp.

I'll likely enter the special draw if I find a unit that it helps me draw. I don't want to spend the extra money though if I can draw with Regular.

OP
E

Ebby

WKR
Yeah, I've got a lot of points but haven't really planned. Just started building points and then have been hunting other places. I have a buddy who lives there and will help for sure. He has quite a few places that he hunts every year as a resident so he doesn't know a ton about the limited entry areas. I'll be researching that pretty hard over the next few weeks.

I was really just wondering about whether I needed to start buying stuff for an extended back country type hunt or if I can plan to day hunt/spike camp and spend a few nights in a camper or hotel. I just didn't know if the limited entry units would be best hunted by packing in deep and hunting like that or if I should be more mobile and just plan to hike in to different areas each day.

I wasn't trying to get specific info about Units and tags and stuff but I'd happily take any info you may have. Again, I'll try and draw a Type 1/2 and then buy the archery stamp and hunt archery and go back if I need to. If anybody wants to help me out and point me in a direction on specifics, that would be great and much appreciated!

Lee

- - - Updated - - -

I looked it up and I have 10 points if anybody wants to offer any suggestions. Thanks!

Lee

cnelk

WKR
If I had 10 NonRes PPs, Id go unit 45 Type 1 Special.
Some really nice bulls coming out of that unit.

It has both Wilderness and Non-Wilderness for your choosing

OP
E

Ebby

WKR
Yeah, I've looked at 45. Seems like I can draw and I really like that there is some wilderness where I could hunt with my buddy but also some non wilderness public land that I could try. Definitely on my list. Thanks

Lee

What the hell is Wy thinking with their wilderness rules? I can walk all over the wilderness unarmed all summer long but need a guide to hunt?
Crazy law.

blackdawg

WKR
What the hell is Wy thinking with their wilderness rules? I can walk all over the wilderness unarmed all summer long but need a guide to hunt?
Crazy law.

Uhmmm, I will try to answer that: If you want to experience the best Wyoming has to offer you need to pay the coin, otherwise go hunt general non wilderness areas with the rest of the shmucks. It’s all about the dollar and political influence of the Wyoming Outfitters Association. If you don’t believe that, check out the new issue of Wyoming Outdoors distributed by them. The introduction is a grand letter of recommendation from the governor! The great value placed on horns funds the western states game and fish budgets and nonresident milking schemes are easy to put in place when they have no political representation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Ebby

WKR
Yeah the guides and outfitters association want to keep the wilderness areas for themselves for the most part. As a NR you will either have to find a local or have a family member or pay the outfitter. It's not changing anytime soon either.

It sounds like I will prob be able to do most of my hunting as day hunts from trailheads and can use his camper or just spike out a night or two in a tent if need be. Prob shouldn't invest in a floorless shelter or anything right now.

Thanks for all the help and info guys.

Anymore is much appreciated!

Lee