First elk hunt 2019!!

mhonas

FNG
Hey guys! so i am a from kansas and i am planning on going on my first elk hunt september 16th - 21st. I am a very active hunter back here in kansas hunting everything that i can, but i have no knowledge when it comes to elk! I have a son that is starting to get to the age where he is hunting with me and i am looking to get a couple elk hunts under my belt in the next few years and then take him along with me! I have been on the computer every night trying to learn as much as i can, but i still have a lot of unknowns! i am kind of leaning towards unit 18 and 34 to start my map scouting. one thing i could use pointers on what exactly i should be looking for on google maps and other maps to help me out since i cant actually get out into the mountains to scout.
I was planning on packing in and setting up a camp, but after reading many posts i am now leaning towards camping at my pickup so that i am more mobile since it is my first time! any tips and pointers would be very much appreciated as pretty much every aspect of this hunt will be new to me!

Thank you all for your time and help in advance!!

my email is [email protected] if anyone prefers to contact me that way instead

OFFHNTN

WKR
I would agree with camping at your truck and hiking out each day for your first hunt. I don't know how old your son is, but since this would be new for both of you, there is a lot to digest and worrying about when packing in. A spike camp, food, clothes, etc etc. and most of the time is it hard freaking work. I worry going too "hard core" on your first one would be no fun for you but especially your son. A truck camp is more comfortable, and as stated, you can move and be more flexible.
Good luck!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When it comes to looking for elk you can't beat getting in the field and putting some miles on your boots but you need to start some were. Before you go out look on google earth and find points in the unit that will let you glass as much country as possible. You are looking for the highest point you can get to that over looks a lot of draws in the hill side adjacent to it. Also look for good watering hole and food source and start working on your calling for that time of year, the elk will tell you were they are in the rut you just have to know how to ask.

OP
M

mhonas

FNG
Thanks for the help guys! I think i was a little confusing on my wording in my first post about my son hunting with me, what i meant was that right now he hunts with me here in kansas but he is not going to go elk hunting with me this time. I am going to go out on a solo hunt for the first couple of years so that i can learn as much as i can about elk hunting before i bring him along on a long tiring hunt and burn him out by not getting into any elk!

one question i do have is that i will be out in the woods during the peak rut and i know to find the bulls i have to find the cows. is there a general elevation that the cows are at during mid to late septermber? or is every herd different where as you could find them anywhere from 8,000 to 11,000 feet?

The elk can and will be between 8-11K, they could also be much lower. 8-11K is a great place to start your quest. Elk eat GRASSes. They are not so much a browser like deer. It will depend on how much moister the area you select gets this coming year as to how plentiful the grass will be. They like to bed where it is cool and PRIVATE. Think the north facing slopes vs the south, shade not a sunny spot. The less pressure they face, the more they like it. That does not always mean 10 miles in. If the majority of the hunters are going deep, it could be that from the road or trail, 1 mile in is better than 10. You can NOT hunt effectively with wind at your back. Elk can see you and forget you, hear you and forget you, but if they smell you, the party is over, right then. No "I'm sorrys" will bring them back. When deer smell you, they run a couple hundred yards and hide. Elk will most likely move to the next drainage.

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR
You live in Kansas right next door to Colorado. I would take off in Summer and spend at least a week in the area you plan to hunt and bring your son or better yet your family on a camping trip. That will save a few years off your learning scale especially in a highly pressured otc state like a Colorado.

Ericbell

FNG
I’ve hunted elk in Unit 18 twice (2012 & 2016) and the elk numbers there are spotty. I did shoot a 3x3 in 2016 but we were with an outfitter and it was the only elk I saw in 5 days of hunting. I’m going back in 2019 but it won’t be to unit 18, heading to Unit 4 in Craig.

Yeah, I agree, you are pretty close. You could take some long weekends and get familiar with the area.

We do a lot of dayhunting and if we find an area that we get into elk, we'll just make a plan to pack in for a few days. Have always found it best to be flexible. We didn't hunt this year, but just did a week long scouting trip for next year. The particular unit we are looking at isn't really conducive to packing in as there is so much easy road access, so doubt we will do that next year. Our go to unit typically is a spot to pack in or at least camp at the individual trailheads as it is pretty large and we have several spread out spots we like to hit.