Elk and Game Trails

So Ive been planning next years hunt heavily, trying to scout constantly from my phone and google earth. Im set on a gmu, Im set on a section of the gmu, now Im trying to pinpoint a dozen areas to scout when I take a trip west late this coming summer. This is the only reason for the drive from pa to co so I want to make sure I make the most of it.
Ive been looking for bedding, feeding, and water. It seems that water is fairly plentiful in these mountains, lots of streams in draws ect. So Ive moved to bedding and feeding areas. While looking over a few small parks up around 10000 feet for feeding areas, I spotted heavy trails moving up/down the draw. Are elk likely to make and use these heavy trails moving from area to area like is typical with whitetail movements? Im hoping Im on the right track here.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
They might be made by cattle, but elk use them, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lyle_destroys
They might be made by cattle, but elk use them, too.

I wondered the same thing bit from what Ive researched theres no cattle up there. Its pretty gnarly terrain amd flattens out a little in the park. Blowdowns to the southeast of it. Almost looks like the trail turns up over the ridge and the other end turns down to the small creek or spring bed. I hope my boots tell me what my eyes are seeing.

Keep in mind not all trails are used year around. Could Elk be using that trail? Sure but the better question is are they using it during the time you will be hunting that area?

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s national forest ground the local Forest Service office will know if it’s range ground.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going to hunt during the rut, look at trails with rubs on them. Is it legal to set game cameras in the state you are hunting? Can you pick them up when you come for your actual hunt? If so, this has worked well for me.

OP
lyle_destroys
There are much better ways/spots to scout for elk than looking at trails
It was just something I noticed while staring at my phone. Not what I was looking for exactly but it jumped out at me.

cnelk

WKR
If you want to see stuff in detail, get on a laptop and use - Google Earth

It is the website version of GE - It doesnt have the bells and whistles of GE Pro, but the images are great

OP
lyle_destroys
If you want to see stuff in detail, get on a laptop and use - Google Earth

It is the website version of GE - It doesnt have the bells and whistles of GE Pro, but the images are great
Thats what I do when Im home. Gota suck it up and make due when Im at work and use the phone version. 26 hours of getting paid to sit in my truck and search for huntimg spots isnt all that bad!

sneaky

"DADDY"
In Colorado those trails may be made by hordes of hikers... just a thought. It's always a possibility with the numbers of people in the backcountry these days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Swede

WKR
I check trails.
As I look over trails, I try to see what else I can observe too. For bow hunters rubs are always good to see as they tell you bulls are in the area around archery season. Multiple trails that come together at a water hole or wallow are good places to look for fresh sign. Be sure water holes and wallows are active when you are real close to your hunting time. Elk beds and freshly browsed forage are worth noting, but be sure you are looking at elk sign and not something else.

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
I came across the same thing and thought I was in the money, only to find out the hard way they were cattle trails. Definitely a question I will be asking next season!

If you are using onX their trail system layer may be able to potentially rule out hiking trails.

ahlgringo

WKR
Thats what I do when Im home. Gota suck it up and make due when Im at work and use the phone version. 26 hours of getting paid to sit in my truck and search for huntimg spots isnt all that bad!

Driving?

Swede

WKR
Cattle and elk often use the same trails. Sometimes they are using them during the same period of time. Don't rule out a spot because there are cattle around, but when there are a lot of cattle, the elk can be displaced. Again trail cams can help.

cnelk

WKR
Here are what elk trails look like - no cattle up here

As you can see, there are wallows at the one end of the opening, which the elk approach using the trails.

Rarely do I concentrate on trails - except for this spot

Attachments

• Elk_Trails1.jpg
    Elk_Trails1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Elk_Trails2.jpg
    Elk_Trails2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 71
OP
lyle_destroys

As you can see, there are wallows at the one end of the opening, which the elk approach using the trails.

Very cool. Thanks

Can you zoom out a bit? I can't see any landmarks or tell what unit it is ;)

jmez

WKR
In my experience, during hunting season, elk do not use trails like is typical with WT movements. Every year I look at trails littered with elk tracks and wonder why I never see elk using them. I think that elk mainly use the ones in the open at night. Once you get into the trees you are going to find that there are trails everywhere. Elk tend to wander around. They will stay in and frequent the same places when left alone but they don't act like a WT.