Ram cat for elk

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Have a general archery question. Ramcat broadheads for elk. Dropped Rage due to loosing a buck 2 years ago, long story.

Looking at Ramcats, think they are great, shoot great, are quiet, but the blade angle is pretty aggressive. Would be like hitting them with a cleaver rather than driving a dagger into them, deep.

Should I be worried about lack of penetration with them? Would a better choice be a fixed blade like iron will or something along those lines?

For those wondering, have a short 28” draw, 68# and shoot axis, though I think I will go FMJ though.

Be my first elk with a bow, let me know what your thoughts are, and thanks for the ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a 27.5” draw, 70 lbs, and shooting VAP TKO’S....my bull that’s in the elk photo contest thread didn’t even realize my Ramcat zipped through him (full pass through @35 yards). After the shot he turned and started walking off...30 yards later he was done.
I have a few friends that kill bulls with them every year with great results as well.

Gumbo

WKR
Ramcats are awesome. I have shot them for two years now after having a couple shots with poor penetration using Hypos. I started out with the single bevel ramcats but switched to diamondback blades because they don't require tightening after every shot into a target and the blades don't sweep backwards. I've shot 6 animals with them over the past two years (3 whitetails, 2 antelope, and 1 elk). Penetration is definitely NOT an issue with this head, nor is accuracy, provided you have a well-tuned bow. My setup is similar to yours, 28", 70 lbs, BE Rampage w/ 75gr HIT and 100 gr heads. I also shoot 4 fletch and X nocks, total arrow weight is about 455gr.

OP
I

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to the replies, Good to hear about actual field experience, Reinforces my thoughts on using these heads as i do like them. They are accurate, and do seem like they would be devastating.

Thanks Men.

I killed an elk and an antelope but lost a whitetail this year with ramcats. The whitetail was probably my fault though, I believe I hit low in the brisket. The elk was quartered slightly towards me at about 20 yards. The broadhead passed through his torso and poked him in the rear quarter on the far side. One blade had a slight bend when I recovered it. The pronghorn took two arrows, both performed better than I did.

I'm going to make another run at the whitetails next week. Hopefully, I'll get to do some more testing.

I would recommend buying some practice and replacement blades if you do go with the ramcats.

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
I bought ramcats this year because I wanted to take fixed blades to Montana with me for elk. After getting all setup and shooting them with practice blades I opted out of them. Not due to lack of accuracy or cutability, but due to how loud they were in flight. I think the air foil is what really added the noise level. I did however use one for whitetail this year and it performed flawlessly on a doe at 20 yards. I shoot 70lbs, 29.5" draw and 420 grain Victory VAPs. I do like the ramcats, but I'm thinking for 2019 I am going to try slick tricks, iron wills, or muzzys. Just my two pennies.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I've been running Ramcat for 5 years and have killed 5 elk and 3 deer with them. All have been passthroughs and they died quickly. I've got a 28" DL and shooting 72lbs and my arrows are 453grain. Honestly, I couldn't be happier and the results (for me) have been beyond great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
The elk was quartered slightly towards me at about 20 yards. The broadhead passed through his torso and poked him in the rear quarter on the far side. One blade had a slight bend when I recovered it.

I would recommend buying some practice and replacement blades if you do go with the ramcats.

The penetration on your elk is one reason I love ramcats, they drive DEEP! And I second the notion of buying extra blades for practicing, especially if you shoot the hinged blade designs. I'd even buy an extra three pack of heads to practice/tune with.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought ramcats this year because I wanted to take fixed blades to Montana with me for elk. After getting all setup and shooting them with practice blades I opted out of them. Not due to lack of accuracy or cutability, but due to how loud they were in flight. I think the air foil is what really added the noise level. I did however use one for whitetail this year and it performed flawlessly on a doe at 20 yards. I shoot 70lbs, 29.5" draw and 420 grain Victory VAPs. I do like the ramcats, but I'm thinking for 2019 I am going to try slick tricks, iron wills, or muzzys. Just my two pennies.
You are the first person I've ever heard complain about noise with these heads. I sold hundreds of packs of them out of my shop, and never had a noise complaint. If you're looking for another head to try then WacEm Tritons should make your list. They fly good, kill quick, and usually zip right through whatever you shoot them at.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've had great luck with these ramcat heads and would swear by them for flight and penetration (relatively small blood trails, but fine...) and no noise to speak of. I just had a buddy tell me about a quartering away shot where one blade broke off, and one bent on a muley. They were still looking for the big buck. I'm considering looking at some other heavier broadheads personally (and a new arrow setup, for other FOC reasons....comparing FOC to Ballistic Coefficient at long distances). Curious to do some tests with new arrow setups.