Elk Reel game call review

ElkBoss

FNG
I haven't seen any reviews on the new call by Elk Reel (www.elkreel.com). I just received mine in the mail, and since others probably have questions like I did, figured I’d share my thoughts.

I first heard about the Elk Reel from Jay Scott’s Instagram feed, I was curious enough that I looked up the Podcast (Episode #180) he did on it and listened to it. I’m a bit of a call junkie, with WAY too many calls, but this one was different enough, and sounded good enough, that I couldn’t help but get one to try out.

I got the White-oak version of the call. Ordering was easy enough (once I figured out that their website doesn’t work with the latest release of Chrome…J). The order was processed and shipped in a timely manner too. I especially appreciated the hand written note from Drew that came with the call.

Looking at the call, it is definitely a different form factor than any other elk call I have. (I don’t use bite/blow calls. They don’t sound realistic to me, and I don’t think they are as versatile as a good open reed call or diaphragm. My go to call is either the Phelps EZ estrus or the Matriarch. I usually use the matriarch because I figured out that I can attach the Tone converter from a Primos Hyper Lip to the end and expand the sound profile…I love the Mellow Yellow Mama diaphragm too…but I digress…).

The Elk Reel is primarily constructed of Wood. Looking from the top down, it is about 1 ½ inches by 1 ¼ inches. The bottom piece is about ½ inch thick, and the top piece a bit more than 1/16-inch-thick at one end, but the hinge side is thicker. The two halves are held together on the hinge side with what looks like a rubber O ring. There are also a couple of very small screws on the hinge side. There is a 3/16” thick piece of blue foam material attached to the top piece. There are sound grooves cut into the bottom piece in the shape of a Y, and the blue latex reed material is attached at the base of the Y. I want to use the call on my hunt this weekend, so I don’t dare take it apart yet, but it looks like the reed is held in place by wood wedges pushed into grooves in the bottom piece. You put the end of the call with the base of the Y in your mouth first, bite down to put pressure on the reed and blow. You can adjust the tone by adjusting the bite pressure. A spring is placed at the back end of the call that does a good job of returning the call in the open position when you let off the bite pressure. Here's some pictures:

IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

IMG_5291.jpg

The call is pretty easy to blow and make a decent sound out of right away. The biggest trick for me was getting used to the tension of the spring and figuring out how hard to bite, but that only took a few tries. Other than that it’s really straight forward. I’m a fan of Chris Roe’s “Assembly Mew” and “Lost Mew” and use them quite a bit in the woods when the situation calls for cow calling. The Elk Reel produces both sounds effectively. Mews and chirps are easy. There is an almost nasally vibration at the end of each sound that is pretty realistic. After a few tries, I have no problem with whines or the alleged Estrus Scream (or whatever you want to call it). The call is NOT as loud as my other open reads, especially the Matriarch or Trophy Wife. So if you want to really reach out for locating It might be too quiet. The sound is similar (at least to my ears) to a call through the tone converter of a hyper lip (or in my case a Matriarch w/tone converter). I think its going to work really well for up close calling. They did talk about bugling with it on the Jay Scott podcast, but I don’t like how it sounds for that purpose. I only plan to use it for cow sounds.

My biggest concern is how I’m going to manage the call while stalking in the woods. It has no obvious way of attaching the call to a lanyard like other calls, so you’ll have to treat it more like a diaphragm. But holding it in your mouth takes more pressure/work that a diaphragm. Its basically a ¾ inch thick block of wood that you hold between your teeth or lips. At $40, I’ll be really sad if I lose it. I’m still thinking through ways to attach it to a lanyard of some kind so I can drop it from my mouth without using my hands if I want too. I was also a bit disappointed to see that there were some “large” wrinkles in the latex, but I don’t know if that matters or not so I can’t say if I should be disappointed. It seems like the wrinkle rattles a bit at the end of the call...but I can't compare it yet. Its pretty subtle so the jury's out for me on that point. I’m also a bit leery of the screws. I’m worried they’ll split the wood because of how thin it is. I’m not an expert, but it does look like they’ve been glued and the white oak seems pretty hard so hopefully its ok.

All in all, I’m excited to try the call this season. I think this call will be really good for in close calling and even stopping an elk. The real test will be using it in the woods. I’ll post an update after I’ve actually used it in the woods.

Last edited:

vanish

WKR
The idea behind it sure makes sense. I can't help but feel like the call looks like a prototype, though.

OP
E

ElkBoss

FNG
Update: After a day of blowing on the call quite a bit, I have some more thoughts:

1. I took the call apart to fix the wrinkles. They were driving me crazy. The wrinkles DO rattle when you call on them, especially if you blow hard. But I was able to fix that by resetting the latex and mostly removing the wrinkles. The latex needs to be fairly loose or the pitch gets too high.

2. I described a "nasally vibration" at the end of a call, but I think its better described as a "breathy vibration". It seems to come from the air moving through that foam. I like what it adds to the call. Its something that you don't get from an open reed call.

3. I noticed that holding the wood in your mouth, against your lips, dries your lips out quite a bit. That wood just sponges the moisture right up. Could be an issue if you switch between calls because lip balm can negatively effect how open reeds and diaphragms function.

4. I still haven't figured out a good way to put the call on a lanyard. My jaw definitely gets tired if I hold the call in my mouth too long, so a lanyard or similar fix will be important to me.

5. vanish: I can see totally see what you mean. But I applaud the elk reel guys for trying to think outside the box and trying to innovate. Only time will tell if the idea holds up.

This is A LOT for 1 silly elk call, but I am a self admited call junkie. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered ins after listening to the Jay Scott podcast. Can't remember the fellas name, but he could really get a wide range of volume out of it, very quiet to what I'd consider typical volume for a diaphragm call. Mine should be here soon. They definitely need to get tooled up to make them from plastic.

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
I called in two bulls in Colorado last week with this call. It was fun because I got to watch the bulls reaction to my trying a few different calls to get their attention. The elk reel definitely held the Bulls attention and I was able to softly plead him in only to miss him... But that's another story...

After a week in the field I found that carrying it around was a bit awkward and I agree that it will dry out your lips if you keep it in your mouth. I ended up keeping in my pocket and then using my trigger hand to work the spring tension while calling most of the time. Once the bull got close I transitioned to using it hands free without any difference in sound. It's really an easy call to produce quality calls from.

In the end, the only draw back I found was how to carry it. If there was someway to connect it to a lanyard, I'd say it's one of the best calls I've experienced for getting up close and personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkBoss

FNG
Update: I used this call heavily during my Utah hunt. I didn't get to use it in Idaho, because, well, I lost it! (More on that later)

The Pros:
The sounds from this call are fantastic. It ended up being my favorite call. In fact, my hunting partner couldn't tell the difference between the elk reel and the real elk when separated by the woods and some yardage. That's saying something because he's a really experienced caller and is very hard to fool. I also really like how consistently it blew. I got the sound I wanted, every time. It never once gummed up. My concern on the volume was unfounded. It wasn't an issue for me at all. Bottom line...I love how this call performed.

The cons:
My lips really suffered...but fortunately I had some lip balm. (Seems like a trivial thing...but after a day or so, it manages to suck your lips dry...and my lips hurt real bad....Napoleon Dynamite comes to mind...anyone...anyone?)

I am VERY frustrated though, because despite my best efforts, I lost the call. I was within 40 yards of a really nice 6 point heard bull...really heavy main beams...and in the process of switching from calling to shooting I dropped the call. I was careful the whole time, always putting it in the same place. As you can tell from my initial review, I was worried about it! But, in the heat of the moment, I thought I had put it in the pocket of my bino case... After a 200 yard cat/mouse chase, I needed the call again and realized it was gone. After backtracking for quite some time, I couldn't find it again. In my opinion, this call REALLY needs some method to tether the call to you. If I loose a $6 mouth diaphragm I won't feel to bad about it. But the Elk Reel is $40!!! Perhaps it was a self-fulfilling prophesy...

I absolutely recommend the call to anyone. Just be sure to hang on to it, and bring some lip balm!

I highly recommend the elk reel. I was a beginner archery elk hunter for 2016 and I found it very easy to use and I was able to produce really good sounding cow calls, litterally right out of the box. Some people have had troubles losing it or not having a place to keep it while hunting. My day pack has nice little zippered pockets on the waist straps so one side holds my range finder, the other side holds my elk reel calls. They are right there when I need them and protected from falling out while hiking. I never had any problems with my lips drying out but I can see how this would happen. I always carry chapstick with me while hunting because I've found no matter if I'm whitetail hunting in a steady wind in the midwest or hiking the mountains at high elevation, my lips will get chapped.

I recently wrote a post about my experience with Elk Reel on my blog. As a beginner elk hunter, I seriously could not get the hang of diaphragms and other cow calls. I've never been able to turkey call either. Maybe one day!

Here's the article if you're interested: Why I Purchased (And Exclusively Use) Elk Reel Game Calls – Transition Wild

Agla06

FNG
Anyone know which retailers carry this? It doesn't look like Cabela's does. It's too late to order it online since we're leaving Thursday. Ideally, I'd grab it on the way up so I could practice on the drive.

I just drilled a hole in the end (that doesn't go in the mouth) and screwed in a small round metal eyelette. I plan to either tie a string to it and attach to a lanyard or clip on to it if I have a lanyard with a clip. I like this for a soft cow call and used it for this past archery season and like the sound.View attachment 60231