Another Season

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m about 15 miles east of you guiding elk hunters. 25 temps and the winds blowing, so you don’t let your skin out for long

And after today if you haven’t seen any deer in that open country, that tells me is they’re 1000 feet below you at timberline if not in the timber. Plus, you’re experiencing are hard winterkill from last year, just not as many deer as what we had

Many areas of Idaho are better elk hunting than deer now. Quite the opposite of 30 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I’m about 15 miles east of you guiding elk hunters. 25 temps and the winds blowing, so you don’t let your skin out for long

And after today if you haven’t seen any deer in that open country, that tells me is they’re 1000 feet below you at timberline if not in the timber. Plus, you’re experiencing are hard winterkill from last year, just not as many deer as what we had

Many areas of Idaho are better elk hunting than deer now. Quite the opposite of 30 years ago.

Great info Robby. We were out there in early September elk hunting and I couldn’t agree more. Saw lots of elk but only one mule deer. Looks like Jenn and Les are having a great time though.

CorbLand

WKR

Utah has been a little bit of the same. Good bulls, lots of cows but I havent seen a decent buck all summer/fall.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Winterkill is what determines deer numbers in the Intermountain West, more than hunting pressure, predators...IMO

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Camped in location without much service. Ready for daybreak now. It’s a new day.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
dfbd5919f8c53c49e7bad8c92e6dd8bf.jpg

It’s amazing country, beautiful, and I couldn’t ask for a better partner. If you know me, you know I’m particular in how and who I hunt with. Jenn is crushing this hunt. Now just need to find something for her to shoot at.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
91c8153d54d017ba68c9fa183ebae490.jpg

Jenn spotted a nice bull this morning and passed a doe. Finally a deer. Dropping down for the evening hunt.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry guys. No service until this afternoon again. 4 am to dark last night. Long day. Just elk, people, horses, and dirt bikes. New ridges tonight. See what happens.
1ac952218d8ca50164081a393dc0487d.jpg

Randle

WKR
That's just how if goes Isn't it, if you had an elk tag you'd have deer all over. Fun times, good luck

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spot looks spectacular. Nothing tonight. Be here early in morning.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doe and 2 fawn muleys tonight so far.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
None. Another nice bull elk tonight. 8 horse trailers cleared out last night. Have the place to our selves now.