New to Archery Elk hunting, partner needed

Wapiti87

FNG
Hi all, My name is Richie and i am a 30 year old colorado resident. I am looking for an archery elk hunting partner for the upcoming elk season. I've been looking into colorado gmu 14 north of steamboat because it's OTC and I am trying to build preference points. I have been scouting the land through Google earth and onx maps and have been digging for any information available. I would really like to backpack in 4 to 6 miles to set up a camp and hunt from there getting a couple miles from roads and trails. I have been running and using the stairmaster to get myself in prime shape. I have been shooting a bow for a while now and have been doing 3D shoots to better prep myself. I also plan on doing a couple scouting trips this summer before season. I'm really trying to be much better prepared than the average first timer. I'm hoping to find someone to hunt with as I am going to be solo as of now. If anyone has any friendly advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All!

I was just skiing at Steamboat a few weekends ago and on my way back to the Denver airport in the early AM up on Rabbit pass I saw a gorgeous bull right on the side of the road. Beautiful country up there. Best of luck and enjoy the ride. Be careful though... high probability that you will get hooked for life!

Fishhead

FNG
Hunted north of steamboat in 14 last September during the muzz season. Got onto a few bulls but sadly didn't get it done. Did get in some good fishing on my way out though. 4 to 6 miles is alot to bite off solo...

OP
Wapiti87

Wapiti87

FNG
I found a great hunting partner from Oregon so I won't be going solo..fishhead was wondering about the hunting pressure? Were you able to get away from other hunters?

Fishhead

FNG
I was camped about 2 miles in and never saw a soul for 6 days. I fully expected to run into hunters as there were 5 to 6 trucks at my trailhead. Taking a nap at the trailhead from a 19 hour drive i saw 3 different trucks pull into the trailhead and hunters heading out with day packs. I believe getting back in a couple of miles put me beyond the road hunters. But... Who knows it may be packed the next time i go...

CC

FNG
My advise.... Don't post on the internet your looking for a hunting partner and you have scouted the area. Somebody will jump on that wanting to go and haven't invested any time from back east..., maybe I'm wrong. I say that as I used to live there, nothing wrong them for wanting to do that... your just grabbing the short straw Learn all you can, do it yourself to start. Spend some time at the bow shop and community, the right person will come along, just be patience. Finding a good hunting partner can be harder than finding a wife..lol I have done it here in Mt. I was eager to find someone to start hunting with me and many were not worth bringing along. There are good resources on the internet.... hunt hard and be prepared to come out heavy, It will happen! As you start spending time at the bow show, community, Your church if you go, you'll find the right person. I became successful on my own, now I have to chose who will be going, or get calls asking if they can tag along. :)