Elk Slopes

When pinpointing micro areas while e-scouting, within a given terrain (mountain, drainage, etc.), how important are slopes to you?

Example, provided you've covered the basics, security/cover, food, water, and you've identified several areas on North slopes, but all with a varying slope angle, does the steepness of an area help you prioritize which areas to check first during your September archery hunt? If so, how so?

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Depends if the elk have been pressured yet. Elk like flat areas for bedding and milling around but when pressured I have seen them in some very steep terrain. You will find them on flat terrain to nasty rock slides. Answering your first question, the slope isnt that important to me. Ive read and heard where others will look for certain degree slopes...

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve never paid much attention or overall angle. I do however get excited to see a spot that is flat(ter) on a steep slope. I always approach those as if there’s elk laid up on them.

bsshaver

FNG
Agree with above. Elk, like most other animals, like a path of least resistance......... until they are pressured.

mproberts

WKR
Honestly I wouldn’t 100% focus on north slopes as well. Like everyone will say Elk are where they are. I’ve hunted areas where elk were only on southern slopes.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Which side of a mountain an elk chooses is dependent on a lot of factors but obviously the needs of the elk (food, water, security) will determine where they go. Just remember that the rougher the terrain the more secure they'll feel. If there is a lot of hunting pressure and a rough draw has lots of cover, a small grass park, and a spring then I'd hunt that area. On the other hand if the hunting pressure isn't enough to move the elk they will probably go where they can satisfy their need for food and water. Where I live I've found most of my elk on slopes of 40 degrees or greater.

I've had my best luck in big ol basins that drop off from a north face. you know the type big, broken timber, swamps. Then sage brush parks on the south facing slope.

Mule

FNG
This is an interesting Thread to me. Perhaps I can add some technical info if anyone is interested. I was always curious what the slope angle of a hillside was; not just realizing that contours that are closer together are steeper.

Cal topo has a slope layer that you can turn on/off. The calculation for determining slope on a topo map in the field is pretty simple these days with the formula: slope[deg]=inverse tangent (rise/run) being plugged into the smartphone.
1) Begin by calculating the rise over run .
Assuming a 1:24000 scale map where index contour lines are 200' apart (intermediate contours=40' apart), using your compass ruler (Doesn't everyone have that kind?) measure the space between the adjacent index contour lines. My measurement is 1/8" or .125". The rise between adjacent index contours is 5 times 40 feet or 200 feet. For the 1:24000 scale on my map, 1 inch is equal to 2000 feet, so the run (measurement) between the contours is 2000 feet/inch * 1/8 inch.

Plug into the formula: (200/(2000x.125))=.8
.8 is your rise over run

2) Now finish calculating the degrees of slope.
On iphone, pull up the calculator app, then rotate the phone sideways to get the scientific calculator mode.
Touch the "2nd" key, which changes the sin/cos/tan mode to their inverse of sin/cos/tan. You'll be in Degrees mode by default.

Type in .8, then touch the "tan-1" (tan-1 is inverse tangent or arctangent): inv tan(.8)=38.659 (rounded: 38.7 degree slope)
BAM!

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR
This is an interesting Thread to me. Perhaps I can add some technical info if anyone is interested. I was always curious what the slope angle of a hillside was; not just realizing that contours that are closer together are steeper.

Cal topo has a slope layer that you can turn on/off. The calculation for determining slope on a topo map in the field is pretty simple these days with the formula: slope[deg]=inverse tangent (𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞/𝐫𝐮𝐧) being plugged into the smartphone.
Assuming a 1:24000 scale map where index contour lines are 200' apart (intermediate contours=40' apart), using your compass ruler (Doesn't everyone have that kind?) measure the space between the adjacent index contour lines. My measurement is 1/8" or .125". The rise between adjacent index contours is 5 times 40 feet or 200 feet. For the 1:24000 scale on my map, 1 inch is equal to 2000 feet, so the run (measurement) between the contours is 2000 feet/inch * 1/8 inch.

Plug into the formula: (200/(2000x.125)=.8
.8 is your rise over run

On iphone, pull up the calculator app, then rotate the phone sideways to get the scientific calculator mode.
Touch the "2nd" key, which changes the sin/cos/tan mode to their inverse of sin/cos/tan. You'll be in Degrees mode by default.

Type in .8, then touch the "tan-1" (tan-1 is inverse tangent or arctangent): inv tan(.8)=38.659 (rounded: 38.7 degree slope)
BAM!

HOLY S*** my brain hurts now. I just wanna hunt lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR

Cal topo has a slope layer that you can turn on/off. The calculation for determining slope on a topo map in the field is pretty simple these days with the formula: slope[deg]=inverse tangent (𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞/𝐫𝐮𝐧) being plugged into the smartphone.

Plug into the formula: (200/(2000x.125)=.8
.8 is your rise over run

BAM!

Alternatively you can open the iPhone compass, swipe to the second screen (a “level”), put it on a representative piece of ground and get the degree number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk