Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
31a0c9861e5beaa951a52870007b07e9.jpg

She’s almost done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Very much like the looks of that rifle Ryan.

I don't have a 6.5 PRC but would if I was building a rifle today. My 264 win mag I had built over a decade ago has taken a lot of game with a 140gr Accubond or Berger in the same velocity range. I can only remember one Accubond I recovered and that penetrated almost as much of a big muley as a bullet could. The Bergers I went to later shoot better at longer range but don't always exit. Nothing has made it far after being hit with one. That rifle never liked the hotter loads with slower powders but shoots with good accurately and consistent velocity with 60gr of H4831 in the early years and now with 60gr of H4831SC.

I'll keep following this thread. If I was building a lighter rifle today that's what I'd chamber it in.

31a0c9861e5beaa951a52870007b07e9.jpg

She’s almost done!

Very nice, i'm jealous!

I like the looks of those kiwi composites stocks, where does a guy get them? Would be especially cool if it was an XM length action and they made a stock for it!

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Very nice, i'm jealous!

I like the looks of those kiwi composites stocks, where does a guy get them? Would be especially cool if it was an XM length action and they made a stock for it!

I have no idea on the stock, truthfully I’ve never heard of them until Derik(gunsmith) told me about them.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
So what scopes are you debating for this new rig??

Good Question! I have no Idea, I really want something light but I don't really like anything in the 20oz range. What do you guys think?

R H Clark

FNG
Good Question! I have no Idea, I really want something light but I don't really like anything in the 20oz range. What do you guys think?

SWFA SS 3-9 or Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS are the lightest totally trustworthy scopes I know of. After that they just go up in weight. I also like a lighter package but I also feel that the main reason to use a light rifle is so you can use the glass you want and still have a reasonable weighted package.

R H Clark

FNG
A NF SHV would also work, the 3-10 isn't too heavy. Leupold isn't in the same class, reliability speaking.

R H Clark

FNG
It just depends on what kind of hunting you do as to which scope. I use a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 with 4w reticle and BT on my lightest mid range rifle. I don't trust it like I trust my Bushnell LRHS, but I use the Swaro close to home so it wouldn't be any issue to change guns.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It will have to dial! And it sure can’t be a Lupy, had a few SS and Huskemaws, their glass is sub par. Yeah, I know I don’t need alpha glass in a LR scope but I’m a snob. So here I sit glass less:)

N2TRKYS

WKR
A NF SHV would also work, the 3-10 isn't too heavy. Leupold isn't in the same class, reliability speaking.

I've had some of my Leupolds for more than 10 years longer than my Nightforce scope, but neither of which have lost zero. My Nightforce is on my bench rifle and works for that application, but I'd much rather hunt with the Leupold.