6.5 prc??

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I should have one in about a week.

Who has used one? What bullet? How did it perform on animals...Especially elk?

I'm getting close, too. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks, but I've been hearing that(just 2 more weeks) since June. What is yours? Mine is a Bighorn SR3, Manners EH6A bdl, 22" Proof carbon sendero light, LRHSi.....

Kotaman

WKR
Been shooting a Gunwerks 6.5 PRC for awhile with just two kills to its credit so far: a whitetail at 150 yards and a Stone Sheep at 457 yards. Whitetail had a pencil hole in and golf ball sized hole out. First shot on Stone hit high with pencil entrance and baseball sized exit. Second shot went length of body and lodged in hind quarter with bullet perfectly mushroomed. Both animals shot with factory Hornady 143 grain ELDX.

I love the cartridge so far. My gun is a tack driver. Sorry no “big animal” experience yet. I bought it for sheep hunting and think it will be perfect for that application.

I just looked it up after reading your post. That round sounds legit. It will be interesting to see if it takes off. Sounds like they describe it like a magnum 6.5 creedmoor.

Sodbuster

WKR
Slumming a Tikka WSM action being rebarrelled to PRC. Keep thinking I should get the finished call any day.
I like reading about the success Kotaman has had but no experience of my own.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm getting close, too. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks, but I've been hearing that(just 2 more weeks) since June. What is yours? Mine is a Bighorn SR3, Manners EH6A bdl, 22" Proof carbon sendero light, LRHSi.....

Precise Rifles Solutions built mine. Should come in at around 5.5 pounds naked. Don’t know on the yet scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precise Rifles Solutions built mine. Should come in at around 5.5 pounds naked. Don’t know on the yet scope.

Are you going to try and keep it sub 7 or sub 8 pounds? I’ll be watching your scope choice for sure. 5.5lb means titanium and carbon, you going on a sheep hunt or something soon?

JWP58

WKR
Would it be practical to look at 6.5 gap/saum data since it's been around a while (albeit a tad faster)?

28bang

WKR
I have a seekins havak 6.5 PRC shoots great especially hornadys factory ammo 143 eldx. Waiting for Redding to make dies. The 143 shot .5”. Love to have it bare at 5.5lbs though! Mines 7.25 with the muzzle break.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Would it be practical to look at 6.5 gap/saum data since it's been around a while (albeit a tad faster)?

The 6.5 Saum is definitely faster, but why not build a 6.5 WSM? I’m on the fence between those two as week speak:) and yes, I know they are barrel burners!

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a seekins havak 6.5 PRC shoots great especially hornadys factory ammo 143 eldx. Waiting for Redding to make dies. The 143 shot .5”. Love to have it bare at 5.5lbs though! Mines 7.25 with the muzzle break.
Redding ish making dies, just got a set the other day from them. Give them a call.

JWP58

WKR
The 6.5 Saum is definitely faster, but why not build a 6.5 WSM? I’m on the fence between those two as week speak:) and yes, I know they are barrel burners!

I was thinking in terms of bullet performance. The two are close and gap had a hand in both. I would assume whatever bullet worked in the gap/saum would work in the prc.

I want a tikka prc build eventually, seems like the perfect round 3k ftper sec in a 6.5mm

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
5d01151415636bd2ab0427f62c0e4c54.jpg

They have them