The one-rifle hunter

elkguide

WKR
While I have a "few" other rifles, it seems that even though I take my old club as my friends call it, as my back up come opening morning, it always seems to be the one that I carry. It's an old Model 77, Ruger in .300 Win Mag. Yes I know that it is heavy, bulky and old but when I point it at something and I pull the trigger, something falls over.

Now I am SURE that this year my new Cooper, also in .300 Win Mag, will be my go to rifle.

I wish I were practical and reasonable enough to do such a thing.

I own a few expensive customs yet 95% of the time carry a factory xbolt 300 wsm when hunting.

9Iron

FNG
20 plus years ago I bought a Browning A Bolt in 270, it’s the only rifle I owned. I just retired it (gave it to a young relative, his first rifle) and bought a Savage in 270. I’ve hunted deer and coyotes in four states, never needed more rifle. All of my elk hunting has been with a bow, but eventually I’ll start rifle hunting for elk once I retire and move out of California. At that point, just a few more years away, I’ll need to re-evaluate my one rifle plan.

20 plus years ago I bought a Browning A Bolt in 270, it’s the only rifle I owned. I just retired it (gave it to a young relative, his first rifle) and bought a Savage in 270. I’ve hunted deer and coyotes in four states, never needed more rifle. All of my elk hunting has been with a bow, but eventually I’ll start rifle hunting for elk once I retire and move out of California. At that point, just a few more years away, I’ll need to re-evaluate my one rifle plan.

I think your one rifle will still be fine

bcimport

WKR
Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308 with a 2.5x Leupold IER. Grouse, bears, goats, deer works just fine and I have backup irons if the scope malfunctions.

hodgeman

WKR
While I own several rifles, 99% of the time I'm hunting with a Nosler 48 in .300WSM. I've shot everything from wolves and deer to moose with that gun.

fishslap

WKR
Used to be. Browning a-bolt in 300 wm for elk, mule deer, and whitetails. Never had any meat loss issues either and I’ve shot some small whitetails with it. 180gr federal trophy bonded tip bullets.

OP
R

RCB

WKR
Thanks, all, for sharing. Makes me happy to see so many folks recalling an old favorite rifle (or two or three) so fondly - regardless of whether they consider themselves a one-rifle hunter. Keep 'em coming!

For 90% of my hunting it’s a .270 Ruger. That’s my go to gun. If I get a call for a vineyard pig or feel nostalgic I grab a 1953 model 94 in 30-30. Love that gun. I also have a Marlin model 80 .22 that was my Dad’s Grandpa’s gun, and take it whenever I can.

I feel like a one gun guy with that .270, but I’m clearly open to options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
Used to be Remington 788 in .308 till I received a Tikka tx3 lite in .300 win mag. Now that is the only rifle I hunt with for mule deer or bear. The Tikka is the only rifle that comes close to that 788 I found on the consignment rack at a local gun store for $260.

mcseal2

WKR
Used to be Remington 788 in .308 till I received a Tikka tx3 lite in .300 win mag. Now that is the only rifle I hunt with for mule deer or bear. The Tikka is the only rifle that comes close to that 788 I found on the consignment rack at a local gun store for $260.

I have never owned a 788 but have zeroed them for 5 or 6 different people. Every one has been capable of 1" or better groups with factory Winchester, Federal, or Remington ammo that they brought. Some even with 4x K4 Weaver scopes you could hardly see through any more. Those old guns are hard to beat. I've zeroed one in 308 and one in 6mm the rest have been 243's. The 6mm a buddy's dad had been packing behind the seat in his truck for years without firing it. After shooting it I tried to buy it, it shot one of the best groups I've ever had at 200yds with a 6x Redfield.

rayporter

WKR
a 30-06 that is old reliable has accounted for mule deer, whitetail, moose, caribou, hogs and elk. it was dragged hundreds of miles in the raft in Alaska with a 19$ tasco on it and has ridden uncounted miles on a horse in a scabbard. I killed my first elk with it in 1984.

nelson berger [ walts brother] bedded it sometime before 1981. 3 years ago I finally put on a new scope but it needs a new barrel bad, however at my age I will probably start to use one of the safe queens instead.

LaGriz

WKR
If you absolutely had too have only one rifle? Parish the thought!

I like the .280, .280AI, 30-06, for caliber choices. My 338-06 would work well too, if not for being a bit much for pronghorn and such similar game. I really do like the M700 30-06 that belongs to the Eagle Scout, and the M70 Feather weight in .280AI makes me very envious. Any pictures of this one? Got a soft spot for those pre-64 models 70's with any quality wood to them. My 1955 featherweight in .358 Win. has a fine French walnut stock, free floated barrel, with a slender, beautifully checkered grip and fore end. My 338-06 is a 1949 manufactured classic with a stock that is plain by comparison. Both ooze quality and both shoot very well.

Regards
Scott

LaGriz

JWP58

WKR
Howa alpine 6.5 kreed w/ swfa 10x mil/mil. Gonna slay elk and muleys come October. Only rifle I have that's ready to roll.

wyodan

WKR
This would be me. I've been shooting a 300 Win Mag Remington 700 for the last 18 years. I occasionally buy a new rifle, but those rifles also fit the bill for a 1 gun hunter. Picked up a Winchester I am planning on turning into a 338-06 for the same purpose.

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
For a bunch of years it was a Model 7MS .257 Roberts from the Custom Shop when it was in Ilion, NY. Now its a LAW Professional Model 6.5 Creedmoor.

Should have said I’m a Whitetail hunter in upstate & northern NY.