The one-rifle hunter

RCB

WKR
I’m curious: Who here would consider himself (herself) a one-rifle hunter - or at least nearly so. By that I mean that for medium to large game - say, pronghorn to elk (maybe even moose) - you predominately use a single rifle. You don’t use a separate rifle for the plains, the mountains, the woods, etc, except on rare occasions. Eg if you have a big rifle that you took to Alaska once or twice, that still counts. And of course having a .22 for small game still counts.

If so, what rifle?

There is no particular virtue to being a one-rifle hunter. I’m just curious to see how rare this is. Presently I am a one-rifle hunter by that definition (.308, and a .22), but that’s really just because I’ve been a gun owner for less than a year.

I use a Model 70 featherweight in 280 Remington for everything from Minnesota white tails to Colorado elk and mule deer to Wyoming pronghorn. Same load too. 150gr Nosler Partition at 2950fps. Though my wife got a new Tikka Superlite in 6.5 Creed this year and I’m tempted to take that on my mule deer hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primarily I use my Gamemaster 762 in 30-06 for everything.

If I am going to be shooting past 200 yards I use my 300 WSM.

I sometimes consider becoming a one-rifle hunter, but I like rifles too much. I think my Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 would be my choice if I went crazy and decided to sell all my other rifles.

OP
R

RCB

WKR
I sometimes consider becoming a one-rifle hunter, but I like rifles too much. I think my Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 would be my choice if I went crazy and decided to sell all my other rifles.

Yeah, that's the thing - all it takes is one more hunting rifle, and that distinction (whatever it's worth) is gone.

Coming from the other side of it, I've thought a bit about what my next rifle would be. But for pronghorn, deer, elk, and black bear (which is all the big game I anticipate hunting for the foreseeable future), I certainly don't *need* anything more than my mid-weight bolt action .308 (Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP). I could go for a lighter rifle for the mountains, or more powerful and flatter shooting rifle so that I can more confidently take bigger game at distances >350 yards. But my rifle is light enough: any lighter and recoil might become a bother. And I'm not sure that I really need to shoot beyond ~350 yards anyway. So I don't know.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I use my 300wm for all big game I hunt, from antelope to elk. It is the only large caliber rifle I own. I had a 22-250 that I used for antelope a few times, but I no longer own that rifle.

ncstewart

WKR
308 Christensen Mesa.
My old rifle was a 308 Ruger number 1.
Also have a BLR 243 that was my first rifle passed down from my dad. As far as other guns I have muzzle loader, 12 gauge, 22. That allows me to hunt anything I want.

Was a 1 gun (Model 70 30-06) guy for years and years - shot a 6.5 CM for a few years for antelope and deer and liked it, but back to the good ole 30-06 for me (shoot a kimber montana now). Will be used on Antelope, deer, elk, and bear this year hopefully :)

At the end of the day, it goes bang and things fall over dead :)

wyosteve

WKR
Have been using my .338 for everything for past 30 yrs. Even shot some prairie dogs with it!

howl

WKR
Ain't goin' more than a half hour from home without a backup gun

67bronco

FNG
I hunt with one of my 45/70's 90% of the time. I just finished my all time big game rifle. Winchester 70 Classic stainless 375 H&H. Barrel cut to 20" and sights put back on. Talley bases with QR rings and 3-9x40 zeiss conquest. It will put 270Gr hornaday handloads in the same hole if I do my part. After I get some blood on my sharps, i'll prob hunt with the Winchester

I was a one rifle shooter for 15years. Rem 700 BDL in 300wm. Everything from coyote, pigs, deer, elk, caribou and African plains game. That rifle will never leave my possession until I give it to my oldest boy. I’ve just gotten to where I love shooting other guns too. If I ever went back to one gun that would be it, no question about it.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
My .338 Brown Precision goes pretty much everywhere with me. I am considering a smaller caliber for Antelope though

mcseal2

WKR
For things bigger than coyotes I'm pretty much a 2 rifle guy. 264 win mag for most deer and all antelope hunting, 300 win mag for mountain muleys and everything bigger than deer. The rifles can be each other's back-ups on out of state hunts so both go on most of my trips.

Guess I have to take the 2 rifle thing back, I do use a smaller rifle during doe season when meat hunting and being extra careful with shot placement, usually a 243 or 25-06. Those are primarily coyote guns for me but since going to the ELD-X in the 264 I have been using them during doe season to reduce risk of losing meat to a dramatically expanding bullet. The 25-06 shoots 100gr Sirocco bullets and the 243 shoots 90gr Accubonds, tougher bullets than the ELD-X. The tougher bullets don't blow as big a hole in a coyote on average as a heavy varmint bullet that still exits. My 25-06 and the 243 I doe hunt with don't like light bullets.

kickemall

WKR
For years all I shot was a Winchester model 70 featherlight in 30-06, coyotes and up. Used for a ranch rifle, hunting rifle, whatever. Changed out to a Tikka 30-06 with the same use. I have several rifles I dink around with but thats the one I hunt with.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've only ever had a single hunting rifle-- 30/06 Remington 700 I got for being an eagle scout. Has had a little cosmetic work done to it but has never left me needing something different.
98b478f3d133063de9158c74e1a3a8b1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk