.338 250gr partitions for elk

Teaman1

WKR
I just recently shot my first .338 win mag, and want to buy one now that I've realized the recoil isn't too bad. I want to buy a browning xbolt strictly for elk hunting. I Currently shoot a 300 wsm. Has anyone personally witnessed a noticeable difference in elk hit with a 338 vs a 300 mag. Also, does anyone have any results with a 250 grain partition, and what velocities could I expect hand loading that bullet in a 26" barrel? Just trying to justify the purchase, thanks.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
No help with the 250 gr partitions, but I am shooting a Dakota 338 Win mag with a brake and its a bit easier on the shoulder then a 308 Win. Really enjoy shooting it, but load development has me scratching my head. I have worked up loads for 200gr Accubonds, and 210 gr. TSX. I am getting right at 3000 fps but my SD is not so good. Got a few more tests prior to heading out to Colorado for the 1st Rifle season.

I have a TSX load that was shooting 1" at a 100 yards but I put the target out to 200 and I get a horizontal string of shots 5.5" across. Checked everything, and will be shooting it again this weekend.

Tried 210 gr TTSX and got another horizontal string 3" wide at 100 yards. Another load was shooting all over the place so not all loads were horizontal grouping

Kind of wishing I had started with the 250 gr partitions, but I am going to stick with the bullets I have on hand for now. Hopefully I will be able to report on its effectiveness on an elk next month.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I took my last two bulls with a .338 WM using 250 grain Accubonds out of Nosler Trophy Grade ammo, with that said I am going back to 225 Partition Handloads, my rifle seems to like them alot more and they seem to have a bigger impact on the animal in my experience.

As far as differences between animals hit with a .300 vs .338, thats a tough one. As long as the bullet goes where it needs to, both are fantastic calibers. However I am a sucker for the .338, love that caliber

wyosteve

WKR
All I've shot for 30 yrs. has been the .338. My recommendation would be to shoot whatever your rifle prefers. Anything from 210's to 250's will be fine. I originally used 210's (Federal Premium) for many years, but now shoot 225 Noslers b/c my rifle prefers them. Only time I used 250 was on my grizzly. Fortunately on my rifles, 210, 225 and 250 shoot almost the same so I can easily interchange if I need/want to. Good luck, you'll enjoy this great caliber.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just trying to find the rifle that puts them down the quickest, but can be shot from a lighter rifle. I've heard that there might not be a noticeable difference on elk when with similar shot placement. I was thinking the 250gr would be a good all around load, but sounds like all the partitions get the job done. Have you guys ever shot an elk in the shoulder? Just curious how the partition may have done with the heavy bone.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just trying to find the rifle that puts them down the quickest, but can be shot from a lighter rifle. I've heard that there might not be a noticeable difference on elk when with similar shot placement. I was thinking the 250gr would be a good all around load, but sounds like all the partitions get the job done. Have you guys ever shot an elk in the shoulder? Just curious how the partition may have done with the heavy bone.
Worst case scenario with a Partition is you blow the nose of it off hitting bone or heavy muscle at shorter ranges, the back end still keeps going though. A shoulder won't do anything to stop the entire bullet but if you hit one there you'll be looking at a lot of blood shot meat.

Mercyme

Banned
I used the Berger 250 EH in 2014 for my AZ elk hunt shooting a 330 Dakota. It took me 4 shots to put the elk down at 850 yards with two of them penciling right through with no jacket fragmentation / disruption. This issue has an easy fix - trim the meplats. You will lose a little BC but it will help the bullet open up and fragment. Would I use them again? Yes, other than I like trying different bullets and I have now migrated to the Hammer Bullets and hope to test them with my next elk tag.

elkguide

WKR

If you're looking for the rifle that puts an elk down the quickest, when I was guiding, I had a young lady client that shot an elk with a 25.06 and he just folded up in his tracks...…. as fast as any elk I ever saw tip over. I had a client hit a bull in the chest at 240 yards, with 3 perfectly placed shots from his .338 using 225 Nosler Partitions and we had to track him 300 yards.

No rifle/caliber/bullet is going to act like Thor's hammer every time. I was always happy when I had a hunter come in to camp with his/her beat up, old .270/.30-06 that they knew and had carried for many years over the hunter that came into camp with their brand new, super magnum that they had stopped at Cabelas on their way to camp (bore sighted at Cabelas, so it had to be right on!).

Get a rifle that you can comfortably shoot and hit what you point at with it. Pick a quality bullet and learn where the bullet impacts at distance. The 25.06, to me left her undergunned and for me a .30 caliber magnum is my preferred choice for elk, mostly because it's a hard hitting caliber and I can shoot it well.

Most of all, have fun!

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about elk, but the TSX 250gr anchored my moose pretty well. Dropped in his tracks. Was shooting browning A-bolt with BOSS brake.

2five7

WKR
I've used several different bullets in my .338 WM on Elk, 250 Gamekings, 225 SST, and 225 Barnes X. They all worked excellent. One through the chest and you;re punching your tag.

Looks lik Midway has the Federal Vital shok with the 250 partition on clearance right now. I'd also look at the Hornady Precision Hunter with the 230 ELD-X, seems that bullet should the best of both worlds in this caliber.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Both of my bulls were hit in the vitals on the first shot with the 250 Accubonds, and both stayed standing. While they would have died from the first shots, I am a firm believer in if they are standing I am still shooting. The anchoring shots were both into the shoulder, the accubond went straight thru the shoulder and out behind the opposite shoulder. As someone previously mentioned, hope you like more burger and less roasts/steaks when you hit the shoulder. I was more worried about the animal walking off due to both situations the animal was in a small shot window.