Better deer load in 6.5 creedmoor 135gr Berger vs. 143gr ELD-X

4IDARCHER

WKR
Trying to compare these two bulllets and loads for deer/antelope hunting in a 6.5 creedmoor. Assuming accuracy was close in both do you guys think the 143gr ELD-X pushed to 2800 or the 135gr Classic Hunter running along at 2930 would be the better load? Trajectory is very close in real-world hunting and although I can shoot further, I quickly loose any enjoyment at shooting at game much past 300 yards (bowhunter mostly) and have yet to find an animal I can’t close to at least 400 yards to, so the real long range shooting on game doesn’t matter to me. If given the choice what do you guys think?

If accuracy is the same. I would gonwith the ELD's. They are a bit cheaper and honestly I'm 99.9% positive the deer/antelope are going to know the difference. They are both well built bullets. Both have a good reputation. Everyone has horror stories of a certain bullet. Dont think you can go wrong with one or the other.

elkguide

WKR
Same bullet brand choice that I have been playing with in my .300 Win Mag..... VLD vs: ELD-X.
Both are great bullets. I'm going with the VLD's because they group better in my rifle.

The ELDX has dumped 3 deer for me and my wife. I will be shooting it again this year in a 6.5

I have No experience with the Berger though, for what it’s worth.

MHWASH

WKR
Since your limiting yourself to 300-400 yard shots, I'd think you'd be better off with a 130 or 140 Accubond. They're plenty accurate and will hold together for real close shots, or for hard angle shots. I just don't see the advantage of using a long range bullet at those ranges.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Having seen 25+ animals killed with the 6.5 CM now over the last 2 hunting season all with either 143 ELDX and 147 ELDM I have a hard time changing what I know is working certainly. Shots ranged from 120 yards on deer to just under 500 yards on caribou, to a few bears shot well beyond 500 yards. They work. Keep that velocity above 1800 fps ( they don't open at 1650 fps I have found) and put it where its supposed to and they'll work. Granted many of the kills were shot with 143 ELDX in the 2850-2900 fps MV range but plenty as well were just simple factoy 143 ELDX hornady stuff that is proven highly effective.

howl

WKR
I don't get these heavy bullets in a 6.5mm for deer. Will they not throw a 120gr?

I don't get these heavy bullets in a 6.5mm for deer. Will they not throw a 120gr?

Less wind deflection, better factory ammo selection, velocity in the sweet spot of expansion without explosion, factory barrel twist rates with them in mind, and ability to use same load for larger game. What benefits do 120s provide?

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I will be using the Barnes 127gr LRX bullets for mule deer for the first time this year. They shoot well out of my creedmoor.

howl

WKR
Less wind deflection, better factory ammo selection, velocity in the sweet spot of expansion without explosion, factory barrel twist rates with them in mind, and ability to use same load for larger game. What benefits do 120s provide?

If the factory ammo and barrels are set for heavy bullets, that'd be it. Makes no sense for 300 yard deer though, unless you're shooting where there's always a 20 mph crosswind. A soft 120gr 6.5mm will penetrate more than enough for any deer. And you'll get more pop to down them better.