.270 Elk Round

BAKPAKR

WKR
I had planned on using a 270 Win with a 130 gr Barnes TTSX as a backup for my revolver on my Wyoming moose hunt this fall. I haven’t shot anything with that particular bullet but everything I read about it suggested it would work just fine on elk and moose. My experience with TTSXs in other cartridges has been good. I have switched gears and I will be taking a 300 RUM instead, just in case I need to stretch my shot out a bit. Now, I am just waiting to see if I will have a place to hunt as more fires keeps popping up in my moose area.

Good luck on your hunt.

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I use 130 grain Nosler Accubond on elk and mule deer. My son shot his first elk last year and it went 50 yards and died with that bullet. Shot placement is what counts most. Lots of options for you. Good luck.

slick

WKR
Swift Scircco 130s. Have seen more elk shot with that (only 8 or 9) than anything else.

I had planned on using a 270 Win with a 130 gr Barnes TTSX as a backup for my revolver on my Wyoming moose hunt this fall. I haven’t shot anything with that particular bullet but everything I read about it suggested it would work just fine on elk and moose. My experience with TTSXs in other cartridges has been good.

That 130 gr TTSX is all I ever shoot anymore out of my .270. It is for sure the most accurate factory round I have shot with that rifle and in the last two seasons it’s killed a brown bear (although I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it for brown bear hunting), a moose, a goat, and a sheep.

I’ve never been elk hunting but I wouldn’t hesitate to use that round on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Battleguy

Banned
My hunting buddy has downed numerous elk with a 270 shooting factory loads. He has not had one walk away yet. Premium bullets are fine, but as Richard said, bullet placement it the key. I have killed a lot of game with Hornady bullets and Sierra bullets.

F250

FNG
I have taken elk with the .270 150 gr. Partitions and 150 gr. Fusions. From 75 yards to 375 yards.

Jardo

WKR
I would not hunt mature elk with ELDs. I would stick to bonded or mono bullets. Partitions would be good too. I kill elk with 140 grn accubonds.

Elds are thin jacket non-bonded cup and core design for long range accuracy. I would worry about them penetrating if you hit bone at close range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bhylton

WKR
check out the factory loaded federal trophy bonded tip in 140gr. best of both works. solid copper bottom half with a bonded lead core front half.

mcseal2

WKR
I had a 143gr ELD-X completely come apart on the shoulder of a whitetail last year. I was asking a lot of it as the impact velocity from my 264WM would have been around 3000fps. I would not use that bullet on elk unless it was started much slower, probably not even then. I think it's a good bullet just not a tough bullet.

I took my biggest elk with a 270 and 140gr Accubonds loaded to 2950fps. I've also taken some game with that bullet pushed harder in a 270WSM. It has always performed well for me. It would be my first choice as both an elk and all around 270 bullet. If I was just deer hunting with the 270 I'd likely stick to a 130gr bullet just because pushing the heavier bullets hard increased the recoil in my light 270 considerably.