.270 Elk Round

So there's a high probability that my new '06 won't be arriving in time for an up coming Elk/Deer hunt this October. I know that the 'ol .270 is more than capable. I was thinking of using Hornady 145g eld-x (non-reloader here) if my rifle likes it. Been thinking of maybe trying their 130g gmx, but maybe I should stay on the heavy side of things though. Does anyone have any experience with those rounds for elk (I know they will be fine for deer) or any other suggestions for an effective round. Thanks and a happy/productive fall to all!

elkguide

WKR
A .270 will do fine so which ever load shoots the best in your rifle. Todays' factory loads are pretty good and if you pick a quality load, with a good bullet you'll be fine. I haven't seen/had the best results with the GMX bullets but that's just my experience.

Any idea on range you plan to shoot. Used to shoot lots of elk with a plain old cup and core 150 with very good penetration.

Harveyb

FNG
Have shot several with my 270 using 150 grain Nosler partitions. Also have had good luck with 140 grain trophy bonded.

OP
N
Ideally, I like to keep it under 300. I know the 270 has been dispatching Elk for a long long time, so no worries on the caliber. Just trying to get some input on good penetrating bullets and what weight folks prefer for Elk. Was also considering Federal Partition as they come in 150g vs Nosler 130g.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Been thinking of maybe trying their 130g gmx, but maybe I should stay on the heavy side of things though.

Do not confuse common bullet weight suggestions for lead core bullets with monos. Monos are lighter for a given bullet length (lead weighs more than copper alloys) but have very high weight retention and SHOULD be shot fast to ensure good expansion on impact. Glancing at the specs the 130gr range monos available in commercial ammo for the 270win look decent on muzzle velocity, etc. If you do use them go for the heart/front lungs and don't worry about a shoulder pass through (they don't destroy at lot of meat), they are most effective in that manner (IE don't shoot well behind the shoulder as some folks do with lead core bullets which fragment/expand a lot).

come2elmo

WKR
I would probably stay away from the eld-x on elk. It has been reported to have a fairly thin jacket and may not hold up against an animal the size of an elk. I hand loaded some for an upcoming pronghorn hunt but haven't actually shot anything other then paper at this point so your results may vary. Personally I would lean towards a 150gr bonded bullet from one of the premium brands. Accuracy is the most important piece so buy a box of rounds from a couple of different brands, find a round your gun likes and hit where you aim. Ammo is going the be the cheapest part of the trip so don't be afraid to experiment.

Battleguy

Banned
I agree with those who say a Nosler Partition, Swift A Frame or other premium bullet meant for heavy game would probably be best. There are lots of excellent choices. Don't tell anyone I said so, but almost any of the typical 150 grain game bullets will get it done if you place it in the lungs. The best bullet will fail if it is poorly placed. Have fun, shoot straight and be safe.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
nephew,
I plan on using a handloaded 145 ELD-X for next months bull elk huint in NM. That bujllet was designed to be a hunting round and the 143 ELD-X did the job with one shot from my 6.5 CM. Just got back from Alaska and tagged a caribou at 275 yds.. the recovered bullet on the offside weighs 107 grains.
Not to degrade the Accubonds and Paritions either but the truth is c and c bullets in 150 gr have been a mainstay in our elk camp tagging 6 cows.

We have taken a good number of elk in our family with the .270 and always had great performance from the 150 grain partitions, loaded by federal. For the ranges you're quoting us I would definitely buy a box and see how they shoot in your rifle.

OP
N
As I suspected, use the most accurate 140/150g bullet at a reasonable distance. Thanks fellas for all your input, now its time to see what round groups the best.

Reason I say 140 AB is because, yes, I am bias like most of us are when it comes to what we use. However, I have also seen this bullets performance with a MV of 3,000 fps on many elk and a generous handful of [NM] oryx both from 200 yds to 600 yds.

Being part of a family owned meat processing business, I have also seen the not-so-performance of other big name brand bullets as well...

hodgeman

WKR
So many good choices....Accubonds, Partitions, Trophy Bonded. I made some .270 loads this year that have the 145 ELD-X over IMR 4955 powder that hits 2950 below book max and shoots under 3/4"...that'll kill anything you'd ever shoot a .270 at for farther than I'd ever try.