Finding the right load (tikka t3 superlite)

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tikka t3 superlite, 300WM with a 1.11 twist. I CAN NOT FIND a factory bullet that shoots sub moa that can also reach out to 500/700 yard ranges accurately! I plan on hunting out to those ranges and the catch is I’m limited to factory amo only, so please don’t suggest hands loads being I don’t have that option yet. Do any guys here with personal experience with my rifle model, have suggestions on a factory bullet that can give me this result out of my rifle ?
People say 1.11 shoots 200 great some say they don’t, some say 180s are best, some some they are to small in grain. I’m torn here guys!
I’ve been looking at buying the hornady 200 grain eldx, or the hsm 185 grain vld’s. This 1.11 twist is really kicking my. I should have gotten a 1.10

I have the tikka t3x 300 wm and mine shoots the 200 grain eld-x really well, better than anything else I’ve tried in it. I’d say give them a shot in your rifle and see how she does. I haven’t shot out to distance with them yet but after the season is over I’ll start shooting longer range with it.

mt100gr.

WKR
My Superlite 30-06 shoots the 185 VLD very well in handloads. I think that would be worth a try. My 7RM Superlite shoots the HSM factory loads almost as well as my VLD handloads.

What does the rest of your set up look like and what other ammo have you tried and at what distances? The 300 in a Superlite is a handful. I know for me, getting the 7RM to settle down and be comfortable took around 200 rounds down range. Light rifles are much more sensitive to form and magnum recoil doesn't improve accuracy.

Dhbwa

WKR
So you haven’t tried anything? If yes, what?
Typically in factory ammo I stick to Federal or Hornady.
And with the 11 twist I would be trying 180’s.

Did you try the hornady precision hunter??

Be where I'd start and end the search.

I was stabilizing 200gr eld-x down to 2500fps in a 1-11 twist tikka no problem.

And secondly is everything tip top on the gun??

Good dialable optic? Good mounts?? Don't forget the nut behind the gun.

parallax is a real issue especially at 100 yards on a fixed parallax optic

And lastly did you free float the barrel?

I'd check the scope, mounts, etc. Also, make sure the action screws are torqued correctly. I had issues when mine were way too tight or too loose. While not a 300WM, my Tikkas like HSM with Berger VLDs, Hornady ELD-X and ELD-Ms.

Also, could it be inconsistent form/technique/etc on your part? A lot of times we look at everything but ourselves, as if everyone can shoot .5MOA 'all day long'. And people are probably the biggest variable of it all. For me personally, if I'm not on my A-game and extremely focused I see my shooting go down hill with my T3X 7mm mag. The gun shoots great, but I know the recoil starts to play a role after a bit. Hell, even with lighter calibers you have to be consistent to get consistent hits.

Not saying you suck, but its worth taking an objective look at your skills as well as the gear.

Do you have other rifles in which you consistently shoot sub MOA at 500+ yards?

I'd bet money less than 10% of people responding to these threads would consistently shoot sub MOA beyond 500 yards with a 6 lb 300 WM with factory ammo. You might see everyone on the internet telling you their tikka shoots "Half MOA all day long if they do their part" but what is conveniently left out is that they either don't do their part or have a "random flyer" on more groups than they don't.

I bet you could get dialed in with consistent recoil management in the prone off a mat that allows you to consistently load a bipod and control the recoil of the light magnum. Then try doing it in different hunting situations (off a pack, prone but unable to load bipod, have to grip rifle differently, etc) - you're probably going to find your hits are rapidly decreasing.

I had trouble with a sako a7 300 win and that also has the 1/11 twist. Best factory ammo with that was the Barnes vortx 180gr ttsx. Hornady eldx 200gr was what I wanted to shoot but it just didn’t do as well. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
Mine loves Barnes Vortx ttsx 180gn. I bought a couple hundred Of those bullets to work up loads but I doubt I will get much better accuracy than I am currently getting with the factory ammo.

jhm2023

WKR
I was able to get right around 3/4 MOA with factory Barnes Vor-tx ammo 180gr TTSX out of my T3 superlite 300 WM. They also make the new Vor-tx LR ammo with the 190 LRX if longer shots are needed. I haven't tried it the factory LR stuff but I reload LRX bullets for all my rifles with well under MOA accuracy. Can't beat them for terminal performance and there is a reason companies with 1/2 MOA accuracy guarantees like Cooper and Fierce use Barnes bullets for some of their test targets .