Barrett Fieldcraft in 7mm-08, .308, 6.5?

AKborn87

FNG
I'm thinking of buying a Barrett Fieldcraft in any of the listed calibers but was wondering first if anyone has tried one in a 7mm-08? The kicker is I already have a Tikka T3 lite in .30-06 and am seeking a lightweight gun I could take on extended backpacking hunts and also have it be the main gun used by my smaller statured lady (5'4, 115lbs) when hunting together. Finally, I would like to shoot Barnes, Hornady, or Nosler Factory ammo in either the 120-139/143gr for 7mm-08 and 6.5 or the .130-150gr for the .308,...thoughts are appreciated!

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
The ballistics are so close between the two that you will never know the difference. Any pro or con comparison between them is mostly academic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Yeah- I've hunted with all three cartridges and there's not enough practical difference to discuss meaningfully without just making it about minutiae. For most common hunting scenarios- you won't be able to tell the difference.

I really like my Fieldcraft in 6.5...with Hornady Precision Hunter 143g factory or my hand loads its a 0.5 MOA gun.

elkguide

WKR
Talk about splitting hairs. Either the 6.5 or the 7-08 would be a great choice.
Since I have several in 7mm08, that would be where I would lean
but I am really thinking about a new rifle in 6.5 PRC.

howl

WKR
120gr vs 140gr vs 165gr...cross off .308 and let her do the picking between the other two

Dusty2426

WKR
I just just got back from caribou shot the 6.5 field craft 18 inch with 140 Accubond outstanding performance. Great terminal performance on a bull

WJS23

WKR
I would go 7-08 just because everyone has a 6.5 or a 308. My 7-08 is in a t3 light and I shoots lights out. If I didn’t already have my tikka I would be getting the field craft or a Montana

I think it comes down to how sensitive she is to recoil and shooting distance. IMHO, the 308 can cover the trajectory of either of the smaller calibers because it has great light but strong bullets that can be pushed very fast, or be loaded heavier if you want it to. The only reason to go with the 6.5 or even the 7mm is if you know the target will be limited to medium size game and the shooter is accurate enough in the field to take the really long shots, or if a 308 with light bullets is still too much recoil. I know the 308 isn't sexy, but the numbers don't lie.

One other piece of advice from me after going through the same process for my wife, is to consider the buttstock design carefully. The Tikka compact that we got has a smaller buttstock area on the shoulder that I think actually increases the felt recoil more than a normal size one.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If interested, I have a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM. 18" threaded. Its a great little hammer of a rifle no doubt I just have to clear some space and this one is first on the chopping block. I'll likely regret it as it shoots 147 ELDM great, but I just got to pair down some of what I have.

OP
AKborn87

AKborn87

FNG
I appreciate all of the feedback! I realize the differences between these calibers are minute, but want to get a good sense for any positive feedback across calibers. Luke, I should've mentioned I'm mostly leaning towards the 21" barrel but I appreciate the offer. Thanks again!

I also have a Tikka lite 30-06 but bought a 18" Fieldcraft in 7mm-08 for similar reasons and absolutely love it. Shoots factory federal accubonds .75 MOA.

OP
AKborn87

AKborn87

FNG
I'm also curious if anyone has caught wind of a Fieldcraft 2.0???...seems like Kimber comes out with a slightly different version every year or two....maybe enough forum posts will force the issue!

jhm2023

WKR
I'm also curious if anyone has caught wind of a Fieldcraft 2.0???...seems like Kimber comes out with a slightly different version every year or two....maybe enough forum posts will force the issue!

I'm holding out in hopes they come out with something new. I bought my wife one in 6.5 CM and its great, but I'm hoping for a faster chambering like a WSM or something and maybe even a green with black stock color. I guess that's why I own a Cooper backcountry in 7 Rem Mag.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I appreciate all of the feedback! I realize the differences between these calibers are minute, but want to get a good sense for any positive feedback across calibers. Luke, I should've mentioned I'm mostly leaning towards the 21" barrel but I appreciate the offer. Thanks again!

Why are you looking for a 21” barrel versus the 18”?

308 wouldn’t even be a consideration.

Skip the 7/08. With the best bullets it recoils quite a bit, and factory ammo is limited relative to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

A have taught a lot women to shoot. A 5’4”, 115lb one is NOT going to like recoil no matter what she says. Of those three you listed, the 6.5 Creedmoor is easily the pick. It offers world class factory ammo on the shelf at Wal-Mart for $22-$28 a box. It costs less, recoils less, has less muzzle jump, is more accurate, and more available.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

No worries sir. I am getting the 147 ELDM to run at 2720 fps out of the 18" barrel. Its a little hammer and I likely shouldn't sell it anyways. But even the shorty 18" barrel is out running a lot of longer barrel with that bullet/velocity combo. ;)

MattB

WKR
Why are you looking for a 21” barrel versus the 18”?

308 wouldn’t even be a consideration.

Skip the 7/08. With the best bullets it recoils quite a bit, and factory ammo is limited relative to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

A have taught a lot women to shoot. A 5’4”, 115lb one is NOT going to like recoil no matter what she says. Of those three you listed, the 6.5 Creedmoor is easily the pick. It offers world class factory ammo on the shelf at Wal-Mart for $22-$28 a box. It costs less, recoils less, has less muzzle jump, is more accurate, and more available.

Any thoughts on the 21" barrel vs 18" for monolithic bullets which are more velocity dependent for expansion?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any thoughts on the 21" barrel vs 18" for monolithic bullets which are more velocity dependent for expansion?

The difference in impact velocity between a 21” and am 18” is about 30-40 yards.

I wouldn’t use monolithic bullets with the Creedmoor class of rounds, but if I had to and I were worried about expansion, the difference between 21 and 18 inch isn’t going to show. Monolithic’s really should be viewed as 300-400 yard range bullets, and truthfully 400 is on the low side of velocity for me with normal cartridges.