Looking at a future rifle purchase

ofl0926

WKR
Hey what’s up everyone. So I am looking to purchase a new rifle next year. I was originally looking at a Christensen arms Mesa in 7mm. Love the love of the rifle. Then I got to searching on the forum and found the fierce fury rifle that has 1/2moa guarantee. Yeah i know it’s a lot more money. Is the fierce fury that much better than the Mesa? Looking to keep it under $2k. anything else that you can recommend? Didn’t like kimber rifles. Played with a tikka and didn’t like the stock. If I do end up buying this rifle, it will be for my first elk hunt. Thank you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
The mesa is a nice rifle. Another to check would be Barrett. I see no reason to spend more for a "1/2 MOA Gurantee" on a pencil barrel ultralight, either the rifle was built well with a good barrel or it wasn't. The rest is up to the shooter and the ammo.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
The mesa is a nice rifle. Another to check would be Barrett. I see no reason to spend more for a "1/2 MOA Gurantee" on a pencil barrel ultralight, either the rifle was built well with a good barrel or it wasn't. The rest is up to the shooter and the ammo.

You are talking about the barrel fieldcraft right?

wildcat33

WKR
Yes. Fieldcraft. I only have some minor experience with the Mesa, but like it. The fieldcraft Ive not handled but heard good things about.

Last edited:
OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Yes. Fieldcraft. I only have some minor experience with the Mesa, but like it. The fieldcraft Ive not handled but heard good things about.

I see it chambered in 7-08 but not 7mm

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Ah right, you want 7mag. My bad. Im sure someone else will chime in here soon with some opinions on the Fury.

Yeah the fury is a great looking rifle. I like the stock more than the Mesa. But is it worth the extra money

Lawnboi

WKR
Really like my mesa. Can't speak on the fierce rifle.

Mine is in 300 WM, great balance of light but not too light to where I can't shoot it. Ticked all the boxes for me. Ended up with an APA micro bastard break due to not liking the radial shooting prone. It's a gun I could shoot all day.

My only complaint with the rifle is the bolt throw is a bit rough, not a big deal to me though.

It's the most accurate gun iv ever owned. I do wonder what it could do with a full bedding job though. Right now just shooting factory ammo it's a MOA gun all day.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Really like my mesa. Can't speak on the fierce rifle.

Mine is in 300 WM, great balance of light but not too light to where I can't shoot it. Ticked all the boxes for me. Ended up with an APA micro bastard break due to not liking the radial shooting prone. It's a gun I could shoot all day.

My only complaint with the rifle is the bolt throw is a bit rough, not a big deal to me though.

It's the most accurate gun iv ever owned. I do wonder what it could do with a full bedding job though. Right now just shooting factory ammo it's a MOA gun all day.

thats good to hear. i am thinking of getting it in 7mm.
yeah i have heard ppl complain about the radial breaks. the prefer the side port so it doesnt kick up dirt.

WKR
Could probably buy a Tikka and put an SWFA scope on it, plus do a lot of shooting for $2,000.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Could probably buy a Tikka and put an SWFA scope on it, plus do a lot of shooting for $2,000.

I thought about the tikka but didn’t like the feel of the stock.

Check out the Browning XBolt Pro with a carbon stock, fluted barrel, muzzle brake and cerakoted hardware. It is a pretty "custom" factory rifle.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through a similar exercise - Although my budget was lower (~$1200). FWIW I went with the CA Mesa. Like you, I did not like the Kimber Montana (heard too many stories of bad experiences, and bad customer service). I was deciding between the Browning XBolt Hells Canyon Speed and the CA Mesa. The Mesa was right at the top of my modest budget, but it checked almost every box for me. In the end, I liked the stock on the CA Mesa a lot more than the Hells Canyon Speed. So much that it was worth the $300 premium to go with the mesa. I do wish the CA Mesa was built on a different action to allow for a 3 lug bolt and shorter throw, but i the end, the 2 lug push feed is fine by me (Millions of Remington 700 owners will attest to the reliability). I ordered mine in 6.5CM. When it arrives, I'll give a more thorough review.

I did handle a Fierce Fury as well. I knew i couldn't afford it, but wanted to see what that kind of money would buy. No doubt it is a rifle of the highest quality. Just too rich for my blood. I personally feel that the Mesa will do everything i need it to in a hunting rifle, without being so expensive that i'm nervous to take it out of the safe.

MPGNY

FNG
Good evening Rokslide, I just recently joined the forum and have picked up quite a bit of useful information . I am hoping this is the correct venue to ask for some opinions . I have a goat/ deer hunt planned for October 2019 on Kodiak and am looking to purchase a custom rifle. Well maybe I need an excuse to finally buy a custom mountain hunting rifle.My brother in law and father in law are Alaskan residents and we could possibly be looking for bear as well. I am an avid shooter and hunter and am able to shoot quite a bit in the career I chose. I am looking at Fierce Firearms CT Edge in 300 RUM. Is this a Do it all caliber for all the game on Kodiak and possibly a sheep hunt when kids stop coming. I like the reviews on the Fierce and would like a caliber flat shooting and with enough energy for bump in the night ? Comments ?

Jeepers87

FNG
I have the Hells Canyon Speed in 30-06 and couldn’t be happier. Shot .5 out the box at 100 and I’ve since taken 6 animals with it from 80-270 yards no issue. Worked great in sleet and the handeling was no factor. Weight was awesome too and it held up extremely well in 6 high country hunts. I think you just need to get a feel for whatever fits you best after handling it. I couldn’t make myself like the feel of a Mesa so I went with the Browning, yet I guarantee both will fill your freezer and are a great value.

JP

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on the hunt. I’m new to the forum and also had to look up “Fierce Firearms”. My recommendation would be to get in touch with a reputable smith and build a custom rifle from the ground up. I highly recommend Jon Beanland of Beanland Custom Rifles. He will help you pick out every part needed. As would I if you’d like.

Joe

Good evening Rokslide, I just recently joined the forum and have picked up quite a bit of useful information . I am hoping this is the correct venue to ask for some opinions . I have a goat/ deer hunt planned for October 2019 on Kodiak and am looking to purchase a custom rifle. Well maybe I need an excuse to finally buy a custom mountain hunting rifle.My brother in law and father in law are Alaskan residents and we could possibly be looking for bear as well. I am an avid shooter and hunter and am able to shoot quite a bit in the career I chose. I am looking at Fierce Firearms CT Edge in 300 RUM. Is this a Do it all caliber for all the game on Kodiak and possibly a sheep hunt when kids stop coming. I like the reviews on the Fierce and would like a caliber flat shooting and with enough energy for bump in the night ? Comments ?