SWFA / Tikka / Ruger American

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
tgt.jpg

Both rifles were thrown in the 4Runner, had packs and gear stacked on them and driven 19 hours. Then, they were strapped to a 4-wheeler and had the piss beat out of them for 8 miles, hunted (unsuccessfully) , driven back down 8 miles and driven home 19 hours again.

Top row on target is a Tikka 30-06 with a SWFA 3x9.
Left Target = 1st shot 'cold bore'
Middle target = 4 shot group immediately following.
Right target = 5 shot group dialing 10mils up and back down before each shot (.1 right adjustment before I started).

Bottom row is a Ruger American 6mm with SWFA 3x9.
Left Target = 1st shot 'cold bore'
Middle target = 5 shot group immediately following.
Right target = 6 shot group dialing 10mils up and back down before each shot.

Very happy with the '06 - That's been the norm for some time.

Not too sure about the Ruger. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have a friend with a Ruger American Predator. He was seeing inconsistencies also but ended up putting it in a Magpul Hunter stock. Much better results after the stock change. Might be worth a look if you've already checked the mounts and rings, stock torque etc.

Initial 5 shot group with Ruger looks good. Not so much once you throw in scope adjustments. Anything else different in how you shot the group that might have caused problems besides the scope?

Very impressive 4 shot group from the 30/06, is it factory stock?

OP
R

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I feel pretty good about the mounting. I clean, loctite, torque and match mark everything I can and it all looks good. It's the first shot that really bothers me. All shots were off a bench and bags, nothing different I can think of.

I haven't decided on how I feel about the Ruger. The fit and finish remind me of a war-time production springfield, tool marks and rough. The twist is right, it's just not as 'turn key' as the Tikka.

The Tikka is factory. Removed the bumps from the barrel channel and adjusted the trigger. I did give it a crappy paint job and a cheek pad.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
The difference between a $400 rifle and an $800 rifle? (I know we all want the expensive rifles to shoot better than the cheaper one). Lol

I have 2 Ruger Americans (early build 30-06 and a recent build 7mm-08). Both shoot just over moa with factory ammo, and neither is pretty to look at. But they work for me and are good enough for whitetail hunting sub 200 yards imo.

I also have a 28Nosler Liberty that shoots like crap on a clean bore and then tightens up with the subsequent shots (like group 2 of the Ruger).

It’s interesting that the group opens up so much just by dialing up and down. I have no idea why but am interested in hearing what some of the rifle experts have to say. If they were my rifles, and I had the time and really wanted to get to the bottom of it, I would probably take both rifles and switch scopes and perform the same cycle (checking every screw on the Ruger in the process). Are you using the dovetails that come with the Ruger or did you buy new complete mounts?

Apollo117

WKR
What kind of group does the Ruger shoot if you don't adjust the scope between shots? That's a quick way to figure out if it's the gun or the scope.

As someone else wrote, you could swap scopes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I like the idea of swapping the scopes between the two rifles and repeating.

The cold bore shot on the ruger isn't pretty when taking the tight group of the following 4 shots into context. That said, it might be closer to the center of group #2 than the furthest right shot of group #3 would be.

Some other things could be going on - Ruger Group #2 could be a random tight group? It might be reacting to increased barrel heating in group #3?

slowelk

WKR
What ammo on the tikka 30-06. I bought one of those literally last night, had planned on the 168 ELD-X.

OP
R

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I hate to swap scopes, I don't want to tear down the Tikka.

I'll get after the Ruger again this weekend and shoot some more groups. Maybe as a whole it's not really that outlandish when you overlay all three groups.

The 30-06 is 155 Berger handloads.

howl

WKR
The Ruger needs a new stock to be consistent. I read tRuger updated the American stocks to address the issue. I only tried the one from a couple years ago, I think. I could tell it was the stock from experimenting with holds on bags.

I am not a fan of Rugers.
I own their handguns and rimfires and frankly, I would sell any and all except the pre-Mark pistol my dad gave me in 1970.
Tikkas are stupid accurate and not picky about ammo. I own two.
What you may be seeing is recoil fatigue, if the description is in order of your shooting.

hawk45

FNG
Two things I've read about the RA's. 1. Make sure the barrel is not touching the stock when ready to fire (I'd recommend taking a broom handle or down and some sandpaper and opening up the channel a bit. 2. They shoot better dirty, like 40 rounds dirty.