Chest holster question....

Colberjs

WKR
Have any of you ever used a Kenai chest holster with a Bino harness while also wearing a backpack? How well do they work together?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danarnold

WKR
Like they were meant for each other
dd3b3109599ad1bf2cb12dc6ee500e85.jpg

colersu22

WKR
I have the Kenai and the Alaska guide creation bino harness and just have the holster sit right below the bino harness and have no issues. Been using the same setup for 2 years now and half the time I forget I have the holster since it’s comfortable. The only gripe I have is when I need to shed or add a layer and have to take off the pack, bino harness and holster but once everything is on I do t notice them there.

I also carry my pistol under my AGC bino pack, but in a Diamond D chest holster. IMO it is a lot of stuff going on in the front, and I definitely notice it while hiking, but it does work.
def7298b0cc2e45fb712609d4b4a8f5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I know this is totally not the point of this thread, but man, after this season I'm a big fan of just a regular old drop-leg rig for your holster. Puts the firearm in a natural drawing position, keeps it out of your way 99% of the time, it is ALWAYS on you, you do not have take it off to remove layers unless you are changing pants.

I was a bit nervous about taking this rig this year as it was my first time hiking with one and I've heard all of the people saying that a drop-leg rig makes you fatigue faster due to the weight of the weapon on your thigh...all I can say to that now after having it strapped to me for 14+ hours a day hiking around the mountains is that it is a bunch of nonsense. I never noticed the weight of it at all.

The ONLY downside to it that I experienced was that I couldn't easily access my right pocket. No big deal, I put the few items I needed quick access to in my left pocket, and my truck keys went into my right pocket and then I zipped up that pocket for the day (Sitka MTN pants).

OP
Colberjs

Colberjs

WKR
I know this is totally not the point of this thread, but man, after this season I'm a big fan of just a regular old drop-leg rig for your holster. Puts the firearm in a natural drawing position, keeps it out of your way 99% of the time, it is ALWAYS on you, you do not have take it off to remove layers unless you are changing pants.

I was a bit nervous about taking this rig this year as it was my first time hiking with one and I've heard all of the people saying that a drop-leg rig makes you fatigue faster due to the weight of the weapon on your thigh...all I can say to that now after having it strapped to me for 14+ hours a day hiking around the mountains is that it is a bunch of nonsense. I never noticed the weight of it at all.

The ONLY downside to it that I experienced was that I couldn't easily access my right pocket. No big deal, I put the few items I needed quick access to in my left pocket, and my truck keys went into my right pocket and then I zipped up that pocket for the day (Sitka MTN pants).

Thanks for the input. Definitely something I will consider.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried a lot of rigs over the last 45 years of outdoor activities and I like my Kenai chest rig the best. I don't use a chest bivy for my binos (I use a military style dump bag on a waist belt to carry my binos) so I can't say how well it works that way but I've seen a Black Ovis video showing how the Kenai can be canted to be able draw with the binos over top of the chest holster and it looks workable - cluttered, but workable.

Personally I think that the Double D rig is way too heavy and bulky. The biggest problem with most rigs is that the firearm isn't held tightly to the chest and it bangs in to your chest when you move around.

Oh, and as for a leg holster causing fatigue being bull, well like most gun things, it depends on what works for you. I used to carry big Ruger and Freedom Arms pistols on my leg and I can honestly tell you that I would end up with nerve pain down my leg that was severe enough to actually limit my range of motion after only a couple of hours of carrying. Now I'd bet that if I carried a Glock .40 or something like that I wouldn't have had any issues but then I don't feel that anything less than a .44 mag is useful for self defense against a bear or a moose so I always carry heavier guns. I've recently moved over to a S&W lightweight .44 mag and that's what I carry in my chest rig but I'm sure that it would also carry pretty well on my hip if I chose to carry it that way but I've found that the chest rig is easier to work with and draw from.

I don't have any issues with having to remove the holster when I add or take away layers, I put the holster on over the lightest layer that I intend to wear and everything else gets put on over it. Everything that gets put over the chest rig has zippers on the front so if I suspect that I might have to use the gun I just unzip the top most layers. I still stay warm enough but can access the pistol. The reality is that the only time I worry about needing to deploy the gun quickly is while I'm walking and in order to prevent me from sweating in the cold weather I always unzip my upper layers anyways (or remove them if I'm moving fast enough to really sweat hard). While sitting I figure I'd see a threat coming my way early enough to give me time to unzip my top layers and access my gun.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
I have a Kenai holster that I wear under a Badlands bino pouch....it works pretty well. I find if I pull the gun up high and put it directly behind the binos things move around a lot less when I put on a pack. I do have to wear the sternum strap on the pack a bit higher than I normally would to stay out of the way.

Biggest pain is adding or shedding layers- lots of donning and doffing gear to do that. I did borrow a buddy's bino pouch that had a built in holster and it felt even bulkier than using both separately, I didn't expect that.