Alaskan Safari Rifle/Caliber

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone about to read my post! I am currently in the process of booking a 22 day Dall Sheep, Moose, Brown Bear, Black Bear, Caribou and incidental wolf hunt in Alaska for 2023. Truely a dream come true, once in my lifetime event that I hope is everything I have made it out to be. With that said my dilemma is yes the hunt is a few years out but Im buying a new rifle now for comfort with it hunting for a few years and to be frank just cause I like guns! I live in Colorado and have been hunting all big game here for 21 years now, 8 of which with my current 300 RUM in Sendero. Its a bit heavy for my liking but when I bought it it didnt matter to me and I have made due with carrying it for miles each year. My fear is its going to be just too heavy for a 22 day hunt in Alaska and the extremes of that environment moving with it on my pack and in hand.

I think the 300 RUM, if im not mistaken, is a quality round for the game Im after but Im having a hard time finding a less than 5 pound version with a barrel of 26 in as basically required for the ballistics of the round. Which brings me to ask this question of you all. I recently fondled two rifles at my local Cabelas.....A Kimber Mountain Ascent in 280AI and a Howa 1500 in 375 Ruger. Both of these rifles are meeting my weight restrictions (The Howa is close so Ill have to double check exacts). Im usually a fan of Weatherby rounds and prior to my 300 RUM thats all I liked but the rifles are heavy so I eliminated that route (I Think).

Do you all think a 280AI is a good round for this hunt? Is a 375 Ruger good for a reasonable and responsible 500 yard shot on Caribu/Sheep/possible moose? The bears I know I gotta get close, but I dont wanna give up distance on some of the game Im chasing with a larger round like 375 Ruger?

Anyone have any other input I should be considering?

I think you should be just fine with the 375 Ruger. I built one when they were first announced. If you are after big bears, I wouldn't want anything less than a 375 in my pack.

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Touchdown, thanks for your reply. Have you shot your 375 at 500ish? From what I can on ballistic tables it’s drop is around 45 inches at that distance. Is that your real world experience? Might make uphill/downhill shots in weird positions that much more difficult.

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Afhunter. Thanks for your reply. I have considered a 338 win but I don’t have one and do own a 340 weatherby that is heavy for mountain use. Do you think the 338 win you speak of is that much better of an option to justify a similar rifle purchase?

Your "safari" is my normal hunting year (as an Alaska resident). Broadly speaking, almost any off the shelf stainless 30-06 or .300 will do the job very effectively. I happen to use a 30-06 for 90% of my hunting for all the same species, and it is certainly a very well proven mixed bag gun. I have used .375 and .338 a fair amount also, but the 30-06 is lighter and consequently see's the most action by far. Anything in that general middle of the road range will work great on everything. Certainly the standard .300 WM is popular and works well, as does the 7 RM.

Can't see intentionally using a .375 or RUM for a mixed bag hunt. They would work, but it's a bunch of weight and recoil for no particular purpose IMO. That said, I'm assuming your "brown bears" are really mountain grizzlies. Coastal browns in the alders would be one reason to go a bit heavier. Easy enough to bring a light and heavy rifle though if that is the case.

Are you by chance going with Alaska Mountain Safaris?

Afhunter1

WKR
In the light weight kimber montana the 338 is a totally different gun than the heavy 340. Me personally if I was doing an Alaskan slam of sorts I’d be using Alaska’s caliber .338. If I went to Africa a SXS 375H&H / 470 NE would be in my gun.

hodgeman

WKR
Like Yellowknife, that's a pretty normal year for a resident- a .300 of some flavor is really the best compromise of reach and power for all of those animals.

A lot fo folks want more for brown bear, but as a nonresident you'll have a guide along with artillery "just in case". Most of those critters tend to need more reach than up close power.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot everything there is in Alaska with my Tikka 300 win mg. except my brown bear. That, I shot with a 375 ruger 5 times at 35 yrds!
With that said, a 375 ruger that only weighs 5 lbs is gonna knock the sh!t out of you when you shoot it.

jray, I applaud your desire to be comfortable and familiar with the gun you take for this hunt, that could literally make the difference between success and failure. Having said that, I would agree with Yellowknife, a quality bullet and proper placement from nearly any .30 caliber rifle 30-06 and larger will be more than enough for any of the animals you will be hunting, and based on your statement that you like guns, you probably already own a rifle that meets your needs, I would focus on finding a quality bullet that shoots well out of the gun you choose.

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Yellowknife, thanks for your response. Seems I’m quite jealous of you as my once in a lifer is your normal. I get out in Colorado chasing critters nearly 80 days a year but nothing like what we are speaking about here. That said I only considered the 375 Ruger as I had my hands on one and like how it felt/the weight. MTNRCHR is probably correct in that it is gonna recoil like a mother. I’m ok with recoil, just want the best set up I can get for a trip like this. Yellowknife, to answer your question I’m all but signed with Xtreme Xpeditions for this hunt, and although I haven’t asked yet I believe it is brown coastal and not mountain grizz but not 100% on that. I’m waiting for him to get back from a hunt to finalize everything/send deposit.

Couesbityen.....you are correct I do have a rifle problem my wife has been trying to treat for years to no avail. As odd as it sounds after reading the responses I may be grabbing my 29 year old ‘06 and getting a nice optic for it the next few years/this hunt and my issue will be solved haha

gbflyer

WKR
If your doing that kind of hunt, budget really isn’t a concern. I’d bring 2 rifles. A lightweight 7mm-08 for sheep/caribou/black bear/wolf and a standard weight .338 Win Mag for brownies and moose. Can buy ammo for both just about anywhere here.

Scottyboy

WKR
According to your guide, 300 is minimum on some species so that rules out your 280AI, unless you planned on bringing 2 rifles all along..which is probably the wise decision.

I would see what they recommend for your type of hunt ie; 1 vs 2 rifles and also pick the brains of the residents whom are willing to give you their thoughts and what they use every year.

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime, I know I wouldn’t be sleeping for the next 5 years.. :)

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
GBflyer. Thanks for your response. Yes the hunt is very expensive and basically my wife and I have agreed to make it work even though it’s pretty much outta my budget. In other words the next years will be filled with overtime and sandwich’s instead of steak. That said I do agree I wanna make sure my gear is right. I really didn’t want to drag two rifles up there but may end up doing so.

Scotty boy I guess I missed the 300 minimum. That probably changes the game a bit. I have scoured so many websites over the last year deciding who to use I know I missed stuff and it’s all a blur at this point in who said what haha

gbflyer

WKR
GBflyer. Thanks for your response. Yes the hunt is very expensive and basically my wife and I have agreed to make it work even though it’s pretty much outta my budget. In other words the next years will be filled with overtime and sandwich’s instead of steak. That said I do agree I wanna make sure my gear is right. I really didn’t want to drag two rifles up there but may end up doing so.

Scotty boy I guess I missed the 300 minimum. That probably changes the game a bit. I have scoured so many websites over the last year deciding who to use I know I missed stuff and it’s all a blur at this point in who said what haha

I can sure appreciate that. We pinch pennies on extras all year long to escape the SE AK rain for a couple of weeks for CO Elk! Usually don’t get one but we sure have fun.

OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Now CO elk is something I know well! And that’s funny how this sport/hobby works. All I wanna do is hunt Alaska and you come from Alaska to chase elk! Haha My dream of Alaska hunting really started when I spent two summers playing in the Alaska baseball league. I fished nearly everyday there but never got the chance for hunting. I caught a monster King tho, had him mounted and he lives next to some of my CO elk!.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
We're excited for you! Some AK residents hunt those species annually, including myself. I use a 300WSM in a Tikka rifle for all of those species. Use 1 rifle and get familiar with it and the ballistics. Just get a .30 cal and don't over think it. I'd lean toward a .30 cal magnum, but you certainly don't need a 30-378! I suggest finding a Barnes bullet that shoots well in the rifle.

Now CO elk is something I know well! And that’s funny how this sport/hobby works. All I wanna do is hunt Alaska and you come from Alaska to chase elk! Haha My dream of Alaska hunting really started when I spent two summers playing in the Alaska baseball league. I fished nearly everyday there but never got the chance for hunting. I caught a monster King tho, had him mounted and he lives next to some of my CO elk!.

Very cool, I played a summer in the Alaska league as well. Which team did you play for?

JP100

WKR
I have not shot any of those species, but guided similar in Canada.
Lots of our hunters in BC had either 300mags or 338s. and a few with smaller guns.

If it was me I would go with a .30-06, .300win mag or .300WSM class caliber. To me they are the upper limit of easy shooting calibers(in a light gun) and with a good 180-200 grain slug will kill any critter.

Get a Tikka/Kimber in .300 WSM or .300win mag and be done with it. Light,stainless, cant break em, easy!

I would not take two rifles, as I guide I want my hunters to arrive with one rifle they know how to use. The reality of two rifles in the field on a wilderness hunt are not very practical.