Reloading beginner advice

lintond

WKR
I am starting to get into reloading and making a shopping list. This is where I’d look for your input. I’m trying to stay on a pretty tight budget but also don’t want junk. What single stage press would you recommend? Are budget powder measures accurate or not worth it? Any other advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I just dusted off my reloading bench last night...good timing on this post!

I really like my RCBS single stage press...works great for me. I bought their Supreme Master kit which comes with a powder measure, scale, hand priming tool, pretty much everything you need including a reloading manual. That powder measure works really well for me...just set it so it's a 1-2 grains shy of your load and then use a powder trickler to get you that last little bit (I bought that extra).

I don't shoot my rifle a ton and I only load about 20-25 rounds a year so I'm certainly no expert, but I really enjoy the process.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I was given the advice of not buying a kit when I first started. That was the best advice that I could’ve gotten. I bought what I wanted to start with, so I didn’t have to upgrade pieces later.

I like my RCBS press.

Good luck.

RCBS makes good stuff. The Rock Chucker press I bought in 1993 is still going strong.
Redding makes Great stuff in my opinion. Take a look at their Boss or Big Boss 2 presses.

If you are loading for a rifle and trying to squeeze accuracy out of it, don't forget a powder trickler and a set of calipers.

robtattoo

WKR
Don't discount the lower end stuff either. I've been using a Lee single stage for years with no complaints whatsoever. I really like the built in primer tool.

My recommendation would be a good, single stage press (doesn't really matter which) a Hornady electric scale, a good digital caliper, 2 reloading trays & most importantly at LEAST 2 manuals (the Hornady #49 is a must have, then choose your flavor for the second. Nosler or Sierra would both be good choices)
You'll need case lube (I'm a huge fan of Imperial Sizing Wax) & a tumbler. Harbor freight sell a really good wet, rock tumbler that'll serve you admirably. I've never found much use for a vibratory.

robtattoo

WKR
May I ask your reasoning for starting to reload? I mean, there aren't any really bad reasons, but be aware: unless you're a volume shooter (1k+ a year) you're probably not going to save any money for quite a while.
If you're looking for peak accuracy, have uncommon calibers or take multiple range trips a month it's very worthwhile. Hell, it's just fun to do too! But if you normally use a box to sight in & practice before season, then put your gun away for 9 months (no insult intended) it's kinda to expensive getting set up to be worth the effort.

It's a rabbit hole.....

I have a mix of brands of reloading tools. I think Lee makes good stuff that are usually designed well and user friendly.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Best thing you can do is find a mentor in your area who can walk you through the process a couple times.

I personally think you're better off buying a kit. That way you'll have most the basics and can start learning how to reload right away. Then you can add and upgrade as you go along. I like the Rock Chucker press from RCBS for starting out and prefer Redding dies.

This is the kit I recommend to anyone starting out. Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit

Kotaman

WKR
The RCBS Rock Chucker is a GREAT way to start. Mine has served me well for over 20 years. The advice of buying the kit to get started and upgrading from there is solid advice as you may not know what you want right away but the kit provides enough to get you going.

I was in your exact same shoes about 2 months ago, and wanted to get started as cheap as possible but not buy junk. I don't do a ton of volume and don't need to go fast, so I was not concerned about speed. I went the individual piece-by-piece route, and have no regrets. Here's my suggestions for you:

- The RCBS Parnter press is pretty awesome for $89.99. I have no complaints about it whatsoever.
- I had a digital scale that I used for measuring muzzleloading powder, so I use that - much better than a beam scale IMO.
- A good calipers can be found on Amazon for pretty cheap. I think mine is a Neko and it was around $18.
- I use an RCBS powder dispenser and a frankford arsenal trickler. Set the dispenser to about a grain less and it makes fairly quick work. Those powder dispensers can be found on ebay for $35 or so.
- Case lube - take your pick. I use the Hornady unique case lube. Its like a grease that you apply with your fingers.
- I bought the Lyman case prep multi-tool for deburring and cleaning out the primer pockets. Its like a 6-in-1 tool.
- RCBS funnel

You are looking at about $200 right there before buying dies and obviously supplies like powder, bullets, etc.

I also recently picked up the harbor freight rock tumbler and it works great!

I would love an automatic powder measurer, but they get some pretty good money for one of those, and I would someday love a primer tool simply for the speed, but the built-in primer arm on the press works surprisingly well!

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
May I ask your reasoning for starting to reload? I mean, there aren't any really bad reasons, but be aware: unless you're a volume shooter (1k+ a year) you're probably not going to save any money for quite a while.
If you're looking for peak accuracy, have uncommon calibers or take multiple range trips a month it's very worthwhile. Hell, it's just fun to do too! But if you normally use a box to sight in & practice before season, then put your gun away for 9 months (no insult intended) it's kinda to expensive getting set up to be worth the effort.

It's a rabbit hole.....

Valid question. I’m starting to get into LR shooting and like to tinker with things. It’s more about chasing accuracy and forcing myself to better understand ammo and how it relates to a rifle compared to just buying XYZ factory ammo. I’m not expecting this to be a $$ savings. I also archery hunt and do all my own bow tuning and arrow building just cause I know what level of effort went into it.

Thanks for the advice!

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Best thing you can do is find a mentor in your area who can walk you through the process a couple times.

I personally think you're better off buying a kit. That way you'll have most the basics and can start learning how to reload right away. Then you can add and upgrade as you go along. I like the Rock Chucker press from RCBS for starting out and prefer Redding dies.

This is the kit I recommend to anyone starting out. Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit

Definitely my preference but as of right now I don’t have any buddies that reload that I can get guidance from. I realize my learning curve is going to be limited and will have to spend a lot of time researching.

bsnedeker

WKR
Definitely my preference but as of right now I don’t have any buddies that reload that I can get guidance from. I realize my learning curve is going to be limited and will have to spend a lot of time researching.

Having a mentor would help, but the reloading process aint rocket surgery! Watch a couple of youtube videos to explain the basics and you'll be good.

That said, working up a good load for LR shooting really IS getting into rocket surgery territory but that is some next level stuff that requires stuff like a chronograph and requires a LOT of shooting. For me, I just wanted a round that was custom-made for my rifle. I just measured the head-space and worked loads in .5 grain increments until I was seeing signs that the pressure was too high, and I backed off from that. I get really consistent accuracy out to 300 yards which is as far as I shoot today.

Once I move out west (fingers crossed!) and have access to more LR shooting opportunities I might start actually working up the BEST round for my rifle, but I just don't shoot enough to put that amount of effort in. I'd rather spend my time perfecting my archery form!

I completely agree. The kit gets you going at a good price.
Don't let someone tell you a certain name brand is 'better' than another.
Getting started with a Lee Turret kit will get you loading quality ammo cheaply and effectively.
Good advice on getting a couple of manuals and read, read, read.
Centerfire metallics can be pretty unforgiving.

That Rock Chucker kit looks like it has everything you need. If you spend much time you'll likely replace everything but the press, brass tray, and maybe hand primer eventually but it'll get you going for sure.

The snipershide reloading forums have some good sticky threads explaining processes and why they are important. Know that they are a little more anal than necessary on certain items.

as others have said learn all you can before taking the plunge. My best advice is to seek a reloader out and ask them to teach you a thing or two. Compliments go a long ways in this , hopefully picking their brain and old reloading stuff for a song or less.If you were here right now I just picked up a new rcbs summit and have no use for my old press, rcbs jr. I have a young man wanting to get started but he has no accommodations right now that would allow it. Shooting clubs or local gun shops is a good place to start looking. good luck

I would recommend reading “Modern Reloading” by Richard Lee. It’s an easy read that covers thing pretty well. It’s also a reloading manual.

hodgeman

WKR
You can make good quality ammo on just about any of the modern equipment...the biggest thing is how long it takes you to do it.

Finding a mentor is a really good idea, reloading isn't hard...but it can be a bit intimidating to the novice. Kits can vary, but some of them are really pretty good. I'd personally plan on $500 or so as a budget. I really like my Hornady Iron Press- single stage with an auto prime feature. You'll recoup that cost in fairly short order. You won't really "save" money...but you'll shoot 10x more and that's largely the point of it.

It's fairly easy to make high quality ammo for a fraction of the cost of factory and you'll learn a bunch in the process.

Several good channels on YouTube dedicated to reloading- I really like Gavintoobe.

Last edited:

howl

WKR
First stop is the library. They'll have or can get several reloading books. If you have a favorite bullet manufacturer, get their book, tool.

If you're on a budget, get Lee. Their stuff works.