Anyone use the alien gear backpack holster?

I am looking for a decent holster for my glock. Something not in the way while wearing a pack and a bino harness. I came across the alien gear shapeshift backpack holster. Looks like it clips on the shoulder strap of your pack and can be removed and clipped to a belt if needed. Anyone use or or can think of some pros/cons of something like this?

FlyGuy

WKR
Haven't seen that before. Pretty neat.

Personally, I rarely carry a pistol unless in Grizzly country so I prefer a chest harness so that it is always on me, but I could see the benefit of this for general hiking/hunting. It would obviously need to be very securely attached as it could be ripped off putting the pack on and off. I've had issues with plastic parts breaking on some holsters in that price range in the past, so I'd look into that closely.

Assuming that it is indeed secure, then I can only see a couple really minor downsides. One being it will add some weight to that one shoulder strap.

The second is it might be difficult to sling your rifle over the same shoulder as the holster, but I switched from a sling to a gun bearer anyway.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
A
Haven't seen that before. Pretty neat.

Personally, I rarely carry a pistol unless in Grizzly country so I prefer a chest harness so that it is always on me, but I could see the benefit of this for general hiking/hunting. It would obviously need to be very securely attached as it could be ripped off putting the pack on and off. I've had issues with plastic parts breaking on some holsters in that price range in the past, so I'd look into that closely.

Assuming that it is indeed secure, then I can only see a couple really minor downsides. One being it will add some weight to that one shoulder strap.

The second is it might be difficult to sling your rifle over the same shoulder as the holster, but I switched from a sling to a gun bearer anyway.

Agreed. This will be mainly for bow hunting and hiking. I'm from out east so my concern here is mostly meeting unsavory people while in the woods. Where I'm planning on going out west there are no grizzlies but mountain lions could be a concern I suppose.

The price point worries me as well, though I have heard a lot of good about Alien gear and not much bad in general. I could always attach a tether to the pistol and my main pack as well just in case it were to fall out. I think I would also attach it at a lower point than the pic shows to keep it away from my bowstring when I'm at full draw. I thought about getting a gunfighters inc chest holster and wearing it so my pistol is under my binos but I feel like one thing would always be in the way of the other and my binos would be pushed that much further from my body.

FlyGuy

WKR
I use the Kenai and it's not an issue for me. I have it extended so that it rides below the bino harness. Again, in Grizzly country I just want it on me at all times, w/o having to transfer it back and forth, and it works great.

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve never used this model but alien gear makes a quality product. I had one of their early iwb holsters and broke a piece (my fault not theirs) and all I had to do was call them and they not only replaced the part but upgraded me to a newer version even though the original was still being sold. Not many companies that will stand behind a product like that.

skunk

FNG
I have the shapeshift system and also the backpack attachment. I didn't like how it allowed the gun to flop around.

Instead I bought a Gun Fighters Inc Kenai chest holster and I like how it fits snugly. I wear my bino harness over it and it's pretty comfortable that way but I'm carrying a Glock G43 so it's pretty low profile as a single stack.