Mauser 338-06 Build

Very lucky to have a great uncle of mine pass the rest of his guns down to me. In the mix was a rifle that I couldnt quite identify. With some help from the forum I now know that it is most likely a gumsmith build Santa Barbara Mauser 98 action. Its pretty old and the bore isnt in great shape. Ive been planning on getting a bigger rofle for North Americas big game and this is going to fit the bill perfectly.
My plan is to send the barreled action off to JES for a bore to 338-06. The barrel is about 21" long and Im replacing the heavy wooden stock for a synthetic bell and carlson or mcmillan. Probably 4-12 scope on top. Should end up with a fairly light and handy rifle with 5+1 capacity and plenty of knockdown power. Not looking to shoot past 300 yards. Very excited about this and will have some pics of the rifle as it sits soon.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Mulga

FNG
What's it cost to get a barrel re bored vs a new one? Just asking as its not something anyone gets done here in Australia also no services to get it done. I had a Match grade barrel made up for my Sako75 I'm getting 2800 fps with 200grn Hornady SST at the muzzle with a 22 7/8 inch barrel.

View attachment 80804

Wapiti1

WKR
I was wondering why not a new barrel. Re-boring is fine, but usually done to preserve a barrel contour so the original stock still fits perfectly. When changing stocks, I change barrels since the stock has to be fit anyway (typically).

Great project and I think you'll have a really versatile rifle when done. That is a cartridge that I haven't done yet, but it is on the list of projects.

Jeremy

OP
lyle_destroys
225 US to bore, the new barrels from what Ive seen are 300+.
Im not building a competition rifle, I want a light handy gun and thats why I decided to go with boring. The barrel is about 21.5 inch and a #1 contour so there isnt a whole lot of extra meat there.
What's it cost to get a barrel re bored vs a new one? Just asking as its not something anyone gets done here in Australia also no services to get it done. I had a Match grade barrel made up for my Sako75 I'm getting 2800 fps with 200grn Hornady SST at the muzzle with a 22 7/8 inch barrel.

View attachment 80804

OP
lyle_destroys
Its a little less expensive and Im already happy with the length and contour of this barrel. I just want to breathe a little more life into it. Not worried so much about being a tack driver. If Im not happy with the preformance of it Ill look into a new barrel, maybe longer for some more FPS or heavier.
I was wondering why not a new barrel. Re-boring is fine, but usually done to preserve a barrel contour so the original stock still fits perfectly. When changing stocks, I change barrels since the stock has to be fit anyway (typically).

Great project and I think you'll have a really versatile rifle when done. That is a cartridge that I haven't done yet, but it is on the list of projects.

Jeremy

OP
lyle_destroys
So here are some before pics. I really like this stock and think its a beautiful rifle even if its not some high-end piece. Unfortunately Im not right handed. I will probably cerakote the barrel and action amd sell this stock once I get the Bell & Carlson.
bfdc54787aaf4bac83bd5aadbf59c9d8.jpg
2d5a8ccc169c28fb53b83227d9f07120.jpg
6ac7b191ac33932528ebe6533d38ec54.jpg
18147fc69fccfac62925a291cfe1d5bd.jpg
9b84e4941cba8f8bbbd5e4c58c1a05da.jpg