Reloading Equipment

I am looking to get into reloading for my 300 RUM.
I have many rifles as most of you. The cost of these rounds is crazy and I can justify the initial cost of a press/accessories for these RUMS, and My other rifles will just be a bonus. I'm liking the Single stage as my stuff s precision, and am looking for some used presses. I can get most everything else or already have it (scales, calipers etc.
Anywhere to look specifically for used presses?
I went to the classifieds here and most posts are old.

FURMAN

WKR
I would say your best bet is Ebay but you are not likely to save much do to shipping costs. Brownell's has the RCBS RC Supreme on sale right now for 140 plus free shipping and if you go through Active Junky you'll get 4% back.

OP
mfllood3800
I would say your best bet is Ebay but you are not likely to save much do to shipping costs. Brownell's has the RCBS RC Supreme on sale right now for 140 plus free shipping and if you go through Active Junky you'll get 4% back.

I will check that out- thanks sir. I was looking at the Rock Chucker but in reality and single stage with match purchased grade dies is what I need.
Thx again.

hodgeman

WKR
For precision rifle rounds- single stage is the only game in town. Presses don't seem to come up for sale too much- they simply don't wear out and most folks who shoot seriously enough to buy one...are mostly happy to keep it, even if they don't use it much.

The two places I've seen used gear is estate sales (usually as a big lot with other loading gear) or near military posts when people PCS out of state.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a Forster Co-Ax. It's nice. It's not cheap, and extremely hard to find used. I scored mine years ago off of Snipershide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
If you are concerned with precision then a used press isn't really the best choice, contrary to some people's beliefs presses do wear out. Specifically the bushing on the ram wears out and if it is worn then the ram will wobble which creates inconsistencies in the reloaded ammo (runout, inconsistent wear on the sizing die walls, etc.). No, it's not a big amount of wear but to a precision reloader it matters.

New single stage presses are really affordable. I would go new. I bought a Lee press for rifle rounds outside of 5.56 plinking ammo. I have a progressive for 9mm and 5.56.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I put together a RCBS and some main pieces (trimmer etc) and have it under $500. At first I couldn't get under a $1000. The powder trickler was key as it eliminated the need for a high priced powder measure. If you're going to trickle the last few thousands why have the high end dispenser? The dies are what is stopping me now. I want to spend $$ on the good dies for the 300 RUM and the 6.5, but need to find internal bushing sizes and I don't have a clue. I am looking at full length now. I am going to need to talk to someone as this is not too difficult until I try to get very precise.

I find lots of reloading gear at yard sales and flea markets. The last RCBS press I bought was $35.00, looked and works like new after a cleanup. I just bought an RCBS powder measure and stand for $46 shipped on Ebay.

muddydogs

WKR
I put together a RCBS and some main pieces (trimmer etc) and have it under $500. At first I couldn't get under a $1000. The powder trickler was key as it eliminated the need for a high priced powder measure. If you're going to trickle the last few thousands why have the high end dispenser? The dies are what is stopping me now. I want to spend $$ on the good dies for the 300 RUM and the 6.5, but need to find internal bushing sizes and I don't have a clue. I am looking at full length now. I am going to need to talk to someone as this is not too difficult until I try to get very precise.

I would advise you check out some reloadinging forums and do some reading. Thehighroad is a good site.

A powder measure lets you dispense a set amount of powder quickly and a trickler fine tunes the weight, now other things can be used to dispense the powder but most use a measure for speed and accuracy. A measure and trickler kind of go together. If you think your going to just trickle 50+ grains of powder into the scale pan you will figure out fast that it's a slow painful deal.

To some extent dies affect the precision on your loads but don't think that you are going to be able to dump some powder in a high priced piece of brass the seat a bullet and have a precision load just because your dies are so called precision. I've work up loads for my rifles that shoot way better then a guy needs in hunting situations with Lee and RCBS dies, if your talking precision then you shouldn't be talking full length dies unless your only using them to set the shoulder back.

I guess from what I read into your posts is that you have some ideas and misconceptions that with a little reading on reloading sites or even a good reloading book will take care of. Might be good to do some reading before dumping a bunch of cash on stuff you might not need.

OP
mfllood3800
I would advise you check out some reloadinging forums and do some reading. Thehighroad is a good site.

A powder measure lets you dispense a set amount of powder quickly and a trickler fine tunes the weight, now other things can be used to dispense the powder but most use a measure for speed and accuracy. A measure and trickler kind of go together. If you think your going to just trickle 50+ grains of powder into the scale pan you will figure out fast that it's a slow painful deal.

To some extent dies affect the precision on your loads but don't think that you are going to be able to dump some powder in a high priced piece of brass the seat a bullet and have a precision load just because your dies are so called precision. I've work up loads for my rifles that shoot way better then a guy needs in hunting situations with Lee and RCBS dies, if your talking precision then you shouldn't be talking full length dies unless your only using them to set the shoulder back.

I guess from what I read into your posts is that you have some ideas and misconceptions that with a little reading on reloading sites or even a good reloading book will take care of. Might be good to do some reading before dumping a bunch of cash on stuff you might not need.

No doubt its new to me, I have been on youtube and forums watching and digesting this process, heck I am still trying to figure out if my brass uses small or large primers on my 6.5, and if my 300 RUM will take the magnum primers in small or large. It is a lot to figure out without a mentor, and forums and videos get you so far, but often times, lead you down trails that then create even more questions.
I never said I would trickle 50 grs. lol
I just thought any powder dispenser charging 40 grains then a trickler doing the last .3 or what ever would work on a high quality scale.
Im not worried about volume as its just for hunting loads. Im not bench shooting or competitive shooting. But I did spend some serious cash on a nice LR rifle set up and want to make as good if not better ammo than the $75 a box stuff sold in stores.

I have a supply list in my cart at Brownells. The powder charger I settled on was the RCBS charge master lite. Seems to be a value I am ok, and a cost Im ok with as well for my application.

I am starting to understand the full size die (which is easier for me to start with) VS the other dies that require bushings. Im not ready to figure those out yet, so opted for full size to start. I am mainly after building a round cheaper than what stores are selling. This is for my 300 rum. My other rifles aren't too bad, and wouldn't consider reloading those as I don't shoot a ton. But at $75 a box for the 300 rum, it doesn't take many store bought boxes to justify reloading equipment

OP
mfllood3800
Im looking at the Rock Chucker
The RCBS master lite powder charge
Redding full length die set
Hornady trimmer and chamfer tool
RCBS shell holder
other bits and pieces like a spray lube set, reloading tray etc...

Later I will add a tumbler and more stuff to take this to the next level, including better dies with ability to adjust

My powder choice is Hod Varget
Fed 215- just gotta verify my casings are large size primer for mag
My casings are Nosler
Ill be shooting 210 gr or some where around there

I figured I needed to include these items to le you know where Im going and what Im using..
I may have left out some stuff that painted a foggy picture to some.
I am not after every detail walked out for me as I will figure some out in time. Just looking for a good starting position.

Last edited:
You don’t want to use Varget in a rum, it has too fast of a burn rate. Look at h1000, retumbo, rl33, N570 powders. All rum brass will have large rifle primer pockets, large rifle and large rifle magnum primers are the same size.

I’m a big fan of the Lee classic cast press for a little cheaper than the rock chucker.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Thx for that
Got a pm on powder stating what you just said

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
Take a look at the latest Nosler reloading manual before you buy powder, should get you ball park for a few powders that will work..
Whatever your likeliest bullet is, probably not a bad idea to get a manual from that manufacturer if possible.
And looking a bit deeper than just bullet weight for charges would be wise, different materials, copper, guilding metal, etc. Don't really want to see pressure signs when you are first starting out.
Bigger cases are happier with a higher density..
If at all possible, start with one round in the beginning. One type of brass, preferably one powder, bullet, primer, whatnot, level the playing field so you can start to establish a baseline set of parameters.

And any time you get a funny feeling something is off, that is a great time to stop, ask questions, back track and see if you did something out of the ordinary..