Reloading Equipment

Lapua has never made any of the RUM family unfortunately. Norma isn’t bad but if you run it hot it doesn’t last long at all. I think I would try some of the newcomers if I was loading 300 RUM still. Peterson or I think ADG is making rum brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know ADG does but I don't think Peterson does. I'd look at ADG.

Bertram is known for durability too.

minengr

FNG
FWIW, I prefer the C-H "H" press. Probably because it's what my dad used. In addition to his I've added two from ebay to my collection. I've also found good deals on the "purple"/"brown" older Redding powder measures. Ebay again. Mine appear to be as accurate as anything new.

OP
mfllood3800
In regards to the 300 RUM, or even a 6.5 CM, using Hornaday ELD-x bullets, and Norma or Nosler brass. Do you guys crimp with separate crimp die or rely on the seating die? Seems to be varying opinions of both systems. I have both a full length match grade sizing die and seat system, as well as a individual neck size die only. I am also looking into just bumping the shoulder, but don't have any concrete die choices for this yet.

I am really concerned with crimping. I was not going to crimp other than with the seating die. But an curious what you all feel. This is precision LR hunting application
Thx

muddydogs

WKR
In regards to the 300 RUM, or even a 6.5 CM, using Hornaday ELD-x bullets, and Norma or Nosler brass. Do you guys crimp with separate crimp die or rely on the seating die? Seems to be varying opinions of both systems. I have both a full length match grade sizing die and seat system, as well as a individual neck size die only. I am also looking into just bumping the shoulder, but don't have any concrete die choices for this yet.

I am really concerned with crimping. I was not going to crimp other than with the seating die. But an curious what you all feel. This is precision LR hunting application
Thx

There is always a big debate on crimping or not crimping but the general consensus is a bolt action rifle doesn't need crimped. Some say a crimp will tighten up groups a fraction of an inch but I think if you have proper and consistent neck tension then a crimp isn't needed. For auto's I crimp especially something with a 30 round mag since the last rounds in the mag tend to take a beating but an auto with a 4 or 5 round mag that feeds rounds very well and isn't jamming the bullet noise into the feed ramp probably doesn't need crimped and I have read where a lot of guys aren't crimping for any auto's as well. Do some internet googling as there is a bunch of info out there and make your own decision.

There is a lot of misconception about crimping as some tend to think its like crimping an electrical connector to get a good bond between bullet and case neck but it really is not like that. A crimp imparts a little more neck tension on the bullet but taken to far the bullet is damaged and with the brass spring back there is actually less tension on the bullet with crimp over no crimp at all.

Last edited:

Muttly

WKR
9.3x62, 375, 416, bout where I would start to crimp in rifle rounds. Handguns, different story.
Square shoulder, like a Rigby case, a lot easier to crimp without case damage using a Lee die.
For most -06 type angles, IF you decide to crimp, you can use the seater . Back the stem off, seat and crimp in two separate operations.
You can also get a separate RCBS seater die, pull the stem out or back it way off, and just use that for crimping. Leaves a smoother crimp than using a Lee crimp die..

OP
mfllood3800
I have been searching and reading and watching, hence the question. SO many opinions. I read the consistent pressure comment online which is why I asked here. I would like that, but didn't know if it was valid or achievable thru normal neck tension routines.

My reloader equipment is due Wednesday. I will start with my first set of rounds for the 300 Rem Ultra. I purchased some custom reloads from a guy in Texas, and they shot better than the factory suggested loads (Nosler ABLR) from the rifle manufacturer. So I am hoping to achieve similar results with the 212 ELD-X bullets

OP
mfllood3800
Im going nuts waiting for this stuff to get here. It shows up the same day as my elk hunt starts- what a bummer. lol Wish it was here so I could be doing hand loading instead of searching the net for what else I need. I tried to get everything from one place but ended up getting some items from Brownells, some from Midsouth and even a couple items off Amazon (faster shipping).

My bench is built and room set up, now to see how well I planned this out. Watched a zillion you tube vids and read hrs of articles. I just want to load a bullet.
lol

Im going nuts waiting for this stuff to get here. It shows up the same day as my elk hunt starts- what a bummer. lol Wish it was here so I could be doing hand loading instead of searching the net for what else I need. I tried to get everything from one place but ended up getting some items from Brownells, some from Midsouth and even a couple items off Amazon (faster shipping).

My bench is built and room set up, now to see how well I planned this out. Watched a zillion you tube vids and read hrs of articles. I just want to load a bullet.
lol
Once you get it then there's even more rabbit holes to go down. I wouldn't do anything in the way of mourning until you get back. Then set stuff up, look at it, and move it around.

If you haven't looked at Inline Fabrications mounts, racks and other stuff, then do that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Once you get it then there's even more rabbit holes to go down. I wouldn't do anything in the way of mourning until you get back. Then set stuff up, look at it, and move it around.

If you haven't looked at Inline Fabrications mounts, racks and other stuff, then do that.

I viewed those
Nice equipment
In trying to resist the black hole and just load my expensive rounds

I keep repeating that to myself trying to persuade my mind

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I viewed those
Nice equipment
In trying to resist the black hole and just load my expensive rounds

I keep repeating that to myself trying to persuade my mind

I'm gonna send you some dies and let you reload my rounds lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
You have a press
Quit being a slacker man

OP
mfllood3800
I have a bathroom scale Im gonna use for powder, you can borrow that no problem.

OP
mfllood3800
I have everything set up, well everything but the 3 parts I really need to keep moving forward....
I haven't received the tumbler yet, or the bump gauge insert. I am also waiting on the powder scale dispenser.
I am at a stand still for now. I have deprimed and ran a bronze brush thru the inside of the neck, and steel wooled the outside lightly. I have also cleaned the primer pocket.
My dies are set up....
- I opted for the FL bushing die and a Redding Match Grade seat die.
- I deprime using a separate die to avoid crudding up the good dies so I removed the decap pin assembly.

Once my missing parts arrive I can resume work and shoot some 5 shot groups and see how I did.
I decided not to bother with silly calipers and just measured some sewing thread to the right lengths.
Just kidding on that....

The powder will be H1000 for the 300 RUM, Fed 215 primers, Berger ELD_X 212, Norma, Nosler and Hornaday Brass.

The hole has been dug, and I have already ordered a backhoe
lol

I actually run a separate press for depriming. I keep it in the garage and have it mounted to a board that gets clamped in the vice. That keeps primer residue out of the house and keeps the entire press area cleaner.

Depriming, trimming, tumbling,and any other brass prep happens in the garage. Reloading happens in the office/reloading room/hobby room/hunting room/gun parts room/cave.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have everything set up, well everything but the 3 parts I really need to keep moving forward....
I haven't received the tumbler yet, or the bump gauge insert. I am also waiting on the powder scale dispenser.
I am at a stand still for now. I have deprimed and ran a bronze brush thru the inside of the neck, and steel wooled the outside lightly. I have also cleaned the primer pocket.
My dies are set up....
- I opted for the FL bushing die and a Redding Match Grade seat die.
- I deprime using a separate die to avoid crudding up the good dies so I removed the decap pin assembly.

Once my missing parts arrive I can resume work and shoot some 5 shot groups and see how I did.
I decided not to bother with silly calipers and just measured some sewing thread to the right lengths.
Just kidding on that....

The powder will be H1000 for the 300 RUM, Fed 215 primers, Berger ELD_X 212, Norma, Nosler and Hornaday Brass.

The hole has been dug, and I have already ordered a backhoe
lol
Good thing you were kidding as everyone knows serious reloaders use monofilament for case length til you get it dialed, then you switch over to Spider Wire.

My CoAx has the cup that catches the spent primers so there isn't any residue getting everywhere. One of my favorite things I like about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk