Custom Build Advice

I am in the preliminary stages of a custom build. I want to put a Proof Research carbon barrel on my Browning X-Bolt Stainless 300 H&H action and also put a Pendleton composite stock on it. I have talked to two different gunsmiths and here are my options.

Option 1: Proof Barrel--$800 plus $250 to machine, chamber and crown.
Blue Print action, bolt and lap lugs--$250.
Pendleton Stock--$650 installed.
Muzzle Brake--$150.
Cerakote Barreled Action--$185 (I don't know if this is necessary with a stainless steel action)
Total--$2285 ($2100 without the Cerakote) and only 100 miles away from my house.

Option 2: Proof Barrel--$900 (All barrel work is included in that price. $300 to do barrel work if I supply barrel.)
This gunsmith claims that my Browning Action does not need trued. He loves this action and likes it almost as much
as a Sako action.
Pendleton Stock--$650 installed.
Muzzle Brake--$200.
No Cerakote.
Total--$1750 and 1000 miles away from my house.

I guess the two biggest differences are (1.) the costs to do the barrel work and (2.) one guy wants to machine the action and the other guy doesn't. I like that the one guy is right up the road, but he is $350 more. What do you guys think of the two different estimates? Thanks.

Does the guy up your road do a lot of Brownings? Sounds like not only is option #2 guy cheaper but has experience with your action and building off of it.

Can you ask #2 to measure everything just in case to be sure it doesnt need trued?

I would personally lead towards #2

OP
JohnyRingo
I did not ask Builder #1 about his experience with Browning actions. Builder #2 has a lot of experience in working with Browning actions, plus he actually builds the Pendleton stocks. I am leaning towards #2. I am just a little apprehensive sending my gun off to be worked on, but that is the nature of the beast when you live in Wyoming.

I did not ask Builder #1 about his experience with Browning actions. Builder #2 has a lot of experience in working with Browning actions, plus he actually builds the Pendleton stocks. I am leaning towards #2. I am just a little apprehensive sending my gun off to be worked on, but that is the nature of the beast when you live in Wyoming.

I liked the sounds of #2 but after you mentioned the builder I recall reading some less than great things in the past. Make sure you do your research if you haven't already. Pendleton Composite Stocks | Long Range Hunting Forum

OP
JohnyRingo
I have read through a few of these and although concerning, I don't think anyone has a perfect track record and what you are going to read on the internet are all the negative experiences.

Would it be possible to provide me with the link to the post at 24hourcampfire. I am not a member and cannot do a search.

minengr

FNG
Here is my $.02.

Everything else equal, I'd pick someone close, but I wouldn't let distance to the gunsmith be the deciding factor.

I've used smiths 100 miles and 1000 miles away. Sadly, the guy that was 100 miles away in now 100 miles away from the guy that's 1000 miles away. In both cases I picked them because they were known/recommended for work on a specific action.

If the guy that's cheaper is also known for working on A-bolts, he would be my pick. I'd do plenty of research to ensure they aren't a hack while doing your best to filter through the internet BS.

Good luck with the build and try not to go crazy during the wait.

Browning rifles are notorious for having VERY stubborn barrels! Both gunsmiths prices seem about on par. What are the names of the 2 gunsmiths? I would at least have the gunsmith true the action face.
I assume you are trying to build an ultralight rifle? What caliber? What is your weight goal?

rayporter

WKR
pick the guy with experience on that action!!!
I would drive a hundred miles any day to have a sit down talk with a smith.

I do understand wanting a smith close but I would want it done right. I have never had a smith under a hundred miles from me.

OP
JohnyRingo
It's a 300 H&H Mag. I really like the rifle the way it is, but I don't love it. I feel like it should shoot a little better. It currently shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards and I believe I can shoot 1/2". It is widely known that the stock on the X-Bolt Stainless Stalker is the weak link in the equation. I have looked all over for a replacement stock and Pendleton Stocks (Oregunsmithing) is one of the few stocks I have found for the X-Bolt. I just thought while I was putting a new stock on it, I would put a Proof barrel on it. Wayne says he has a lot of experience putting barrels on X-Bolts and really likes their actions.

I don't really have a weight goal in mind. My current setup is around 8-8.5 lbs and I don't mind that weight. Anything lighter would be a bonus. I just want a rifle that will shoot 1/2" MOA and I believe this setup will do it.

OP
JohnyRingo
All of the McMillan stocks for X-Bolts are out of stock and you have to join a waiting list. The only Manner's stock that I like the looks of is the one made for a Tikka. I am not even sure if they will make a stock for an XBolt. I will check into that though. Any yes, I do reload.

Johny
I agree the plastic Tupperware stocks aren’t the best. It seems you are after some better accuracy. Have you tried a few different powders and bullets in your rifle and hand loads?
Most McMillan stocks will take 4-5 months for a custom order. I’d call them and discuss what patterns are available if you want one of what they offer. I’d put your factory barreled action in a better stock and have it bedded and see how it shoots. If your still not happy with it then you could have it rebarreled and you would still have a good quality stock to put it in after rebarreling it.
But if you want to do both at the same time and want to spend that amount of cash on a browning go for it.

Last edited:
OP
JohnyRingo
I have not tried any different powders and bullets. I am basically shooting the same powder and bullets that my last Remington 700 H&H shot. I know that's probably not the best practice, but that's what I have done. I did mess with the amount of powder though and the Browning likes 1.5 grains less.

I did think about just getting a new stock first, but I just thought while I was at it, I would put a carbon barrel on it. I have always wanted to get a carbon rifle and I have looked at Christensen's Ridgeline pretty closely. They just don't make a 300 H&H and even though I have thought about switching over to a 300 WinMag, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I have shot an H&H for the last 25 years.

Keep the advice coming though.

I have not tried any different powders and bullets. I am basically shooting the same powder and bullets that my last Remington 700 H&H shot. I know that's probably not the best practice, but that's what I have done. I did mess with the amount of powder though and the Browning likes 1.5 grains less.

I did think about just getting a new stock first, but I just thought while I was at it, I would put a carbon barrel on it. I have always wanted to get a carbon rifle and I have looked at Christensen's Ridgeline pretty closely. They just don't make a 300 H&H and even though I have thought about switching over to a 300 WinMag, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I have shot an H&H for the last 25 years.

Keep the advice coming though.

I was going to suggest that option. If you have looked at them, give CA a call. I believe they have a custom shop. I'm not sure if renting a reamer is part of that equation, but it's worth a shot

hodgeman

WKR
Different approach...

If you just want a 1/2MOA rifle...why not just spend $2k on another rifle? Lot's of 1/2MOA rifles out there within that price range and you don't have to roll the dice and chop up your Browning in the process.

I know if I had a 1 MOA, .300 H&H in an X-bolt....I'd not be apt to start taking it apart. You could very easily spend $2k and wind up with a 1MOA X-Bolt at the end of the day. I'd spend some more time at the bench and see if I can improve the load before I took it apart.

OP
JohnyRingo
I am kicking around just replacing the stock. At the bench, the first two shots are almost always touching. It's the third shot I can't seem to squeeze in there.

OP
JohnyRingo
This is more of a want than a need. I just dead-centered a rock twice at 700 yards. I don't think I will be messing with the rifle for a while.

OP
JohnyRingo
I just ordered a custom carbon stock from McMillan for my H&H. It is the Game Scout model and I got to handle one on an XBolt Hells Canyon McMillan rifle the other day. I really like the way it feels and the carbon fill should make it extremely lightweight. The only problem is that I have to wait 6 months for it to be built.