MT Tikka Billet Magazine question

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
My 3 round long action billet mag finally showed up from Mountain Tactical this afternoon. Very nice and appears to be very well made, however when I went to put it in my gun it didn't fit. I have the MT bottom metal on the gun and don't recall reading anything about these mags not working with their bottom metal, but they no longer have the 3 round mags listed on their website so I can't go back to check and they were closed today and wont be back open until Monday. So my question is do these only work with the factory plastic bottom metal? The problem with it fitting is that the way the mag flares at the bottom it doesn't allow the mag release to fully engage.

Elnicko

WKR
Well that’s not good news. I ordered one too and have their bottom metal. I’ll check it out Monday when I get home and let you know if it works or not.

OP
L

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I think I still have a factory stock with the factory plastic bottom metal laying around somewhere. If I can find it I’ll see if it fits that one.

OP
L

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
Found my factory stock, fits perfect. Not sure if all MT bottom metal has the same issue as mine or not, guess I’ll find out Monday when they’re open.

Factory stock and bottom metal
ba40fa8e40b2c9c716ba933c4e3090d3.jpg

B&C stock with MT bottom metal. The mag release doesn’t allow it to engage because it gets in the way
e8b99f568d646670a3264fe5a456738a.jpg

bf160eabc714bf38c6610afc41141196.jpg

Elnicko

WKR
Mine didn’t fit in their bottom metal either. Sent them an email to see what the deal is.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Weird, they had said they were making it lock into theirs even better. I have a 3 and 5rd LA and they both lock into the factory plastic fine. Though I think in hindsight a couple 3rd rather than a 5rd would have suited me better.

Elnicko

WKR
I talked to them and it sounds like you have to apply some rearward pressure on the mag to allow it to lock in. I also adjusted the magazine catch spring. Works fine now

slick

WKR
Link- Would you mind throwing a picture of your bolt up? It looks skeletonized and Im curious to know more. Did you send it off?
Sorry for being off topic.

OP
L

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to them and it sounds like you have to apply some rearward pressure on the mag to allow it to lock in. I also adjusted the magazine catch spring. Works fine now

Yep, I finally spoke with them and got the same info. Goes in fine with the rearward pressure

OP
L

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
Link- Would you mind throwing a picture of your bolt up? It looks skeletonized and Im curious to know more. Did you send it off?
Sorry for being off topic.

Here you go. I had a local machine shop skeletonize the factory bolt handle. I took them a pic of the mountain ascent handle and asked them to do something similar, pretty much just aesthetics. LRI did the bolt fluting.

e4a34ebcd3c254b7eb2d3b45bf448075.jpg

c0beb98c95fd8c0a5a013ca001e59ab8.jpg

5ea318954bdf092d57e28cd9bb67ed12.jpg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey now that you have it figured out can you do me a favor and pull down on the rear of the mag a bit and see if it moves at all? In the factory plastic that pulls down a tad under pressure which in itself isn't a concern but what I've found with 3xWSM is the rounds are pushing hard against the bolt and the mag is hanging down a tad in the rear but that goes away with 2xWSM rounds. If their bottom metal locks in better I might pick that up.

OP
L

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
Just went and checked and I can pull the back of the mag down a decent bit by hand. Not crazy about that. With 3rds loaded in the mag and inserting it into the gun it does push the mag out a tad more than when the mag is empty but it’s not terrible.

Last edited:
Just went and checked and I can pull the back of the mag down a decent bit by hand. Not crazy about that. With 3rds loaded in the mag and inserting it into the gun it does push the mag out a tad more than when the mag is empty but it’s not terrible.

Does it feed the rounds? I just got one of the 3 round billet magazines this week. I have the Mountain Tactical bottom metal and with 3 rounds in the magazine and the bolt closed, when I insert the magazine it pushes the back of the mag down due to spring pressure of the round on the bolt. When I try to cycle a round into the chamber the bolt just goes over the top and won't feed. I put in a return request and they sent me 3 videos of things to try before I return it. A couple of the videos are about sliding the mag retention spring forward. I'll try it but I have a hard time believing that will fix the problem. The factory tikka magazines are rock solid when installed.

Dunky

WKR
Came across this thread just now. I received my magazine last October and it also dropped down in the rear and would not feed the rounds. I contacted Mountan tactical and was directed to adjust the spring that puts pressure on the Rear of the magazine. I did not want to take my rifle out of the stock in the middle of hunting season so we did until recently to do this. It is as far forward as the springCan you go and the magazine still slips down in the rear feed the rounds. My factory magazine is rocksolid. I sent some pictures to mountain tactical. Wondering if there are ongoing problems with this or if anyone has a good solution?