shaving weight

How much weight, generally, can be lost by shaving metal such as fluting the barrel/bolt and general milling of whatever can be lost?

robtattoo

WKR
Nowhere near as much as you'd think, to be honest.
A fluted bolt & barrel & milled action will save you maybe 4oz tops.

robtattoo

WKR
For the cost of the milling & machining, generally speaking, you could buy a used Savage LWH & if you're shooting an average weight, 8lb rifle probably save yourself a couple of pounds.

Nowhere near as much as you'd think, to be honest.
A fluted bolt & barrel & milled action will save you maybe 4oz tops.

Maybe so, but it sure does look cool!

For some reference, I shaved a little over 2.5 oz. off my Kimber Montana’s by trading out the stainless bolt handles and trigger guards for titanium and aluminum.
7e3e2d86fd206305101a090874d2e560.jpg

c19cb1d144137cd895fdbd904849eee4.jpg

6a3f229b01037b7f690f9dac382949d2.jpg

48875b4cae34ff3e50466fe3c1dde3dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t think it would be worth the cost for me. I don’t like the looks of it either.

WJS23

WKR
You can drop a lot more that 4 oz by doing barrle, action, bolt and bolt handle it just depend on what you are starting with.

OP
MuleyFever

I didn't notice the 06 but I knew they did the 270 in the Storm Light. I cannot use a wood stock here in the SW. My guns get beat to crap from all the brush and rocks. Looking for something different though. I just don't know what.

Out of curiosity anyone paid for the fluting? Is it pretty expensive?

OP
MuleyFever
You can drop a lot more that 4 oz by doing barrle, action, bolt and bolt handle it just depend on what you are starting with.

The reason I was thinking about it was because I saw the Sauer 100 XT is chambered in 6.5PRC but its 6lbs 11oz.

I'll be dropping 4-5 pounds next year!! I just bought a Tikka T3 Superlight at 5.2 pounds. My 300 Win Mag was close to 12 pounds with scope, sling, and ammo on a stock pouch.

On clearance at Sportsman's Wharehouse for $599.

Tikka T3 Superlite Rifle | Sportsman's Warehouse

Tikka superlites are between 5lb 12.5oz and 5lb 15oz

5.2 is possible but ur gonna have to run a wildcat stock.

Best advice is to buy a whatever weight rifle you want from the factory..

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka superlites are between 5lb 12.5oz and 5lb 15oz

5.2 is possible but ur gonna have to run a wildcat stock.

Best advice is to buy a whatever weight rifle you want from the factory..

While you may be correct, I think you're talking about the T3X. I have not researched it any further, as this is a HUGE drop from what I have now, but the listed weight (at least on Sportsman's Wharehouse's web page) on the T3 Superlite is 5.2 pounds.

If only the LWH was not a savage

Fixed it for you :D

There are lots of things you can do to drop weight, I agree with most that fluting/milling isn't a very good bang for your buck. On a heavier contour barrel a lot of weight can be saved by fluting but I wouldn't try on a lighter sporter. You also risk screwing up your accuracy.

Apollo117

WKR
I didn't notice the 06 but I knew they did the 270 in the Storm Light. I cannot use a wood stock here in the SW. My guns get beat to crap from all the brush and rocks. Looking for something different though. I just don't know what.

Out of curiosity anyone paid for the fluting? Is it pretty expensive?
I know most people don't want to buy a rifle and have to change the stock, but you could replace the wooden stock on the model 111 LWH. Stockade gun stocks makes a very good and lightish weight composite stock. Most of their stocks are 23oz to 27oz.

Just a thought if you're dead set on Savage. I don't recommend using anything Savage for a lightweight build. Hurts me to say that.

OP
MuleyFever
This idea has nothing to do with a Savage. As mentioned above the idea came to me in regards to a Sauer.

Wapiti1

WKR
I just fluted a #3 contour Douglas barrel. It is a stainless .308 caliber cut to 24". 5 flutes .2" wide, .125" deep, 18" long removed 8 ounces. 6 flutes would fit, and maybe take another ounce or two off.

You lose about 4-6 ounces by going from a #3 to a #2 contour at 24" finished length. Depends on the makers available contours. You can flute most any makers #3 profile up to .338 caliber. Fluting a #2 may or may not be feasible depending on the dimensions and caliber.

Food for thought.

Jeremy

4ester

WKR
X-caliber fluted a #2 .264 for me for a short barreled Tikka build. I believe I ended up at 5lb 8oz. I could go with the wildcat stock and lose another 7 oz, maybe more if I do the flip flop recoil pad. But compared to the amount invested you would get lighter/cheaper by buying a Kimber Hunter and a lighter stock. But I don’t care for Kimbers. Luke Moffat has chased this rabbit and has the same conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: