$1200 Factory Rifle Challenge

OP
S

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Do you ever plan to add aftermarket parts? If so, the Mesa has much better aftermarket support since it's a Rem 700 clone.

That is a great point that I had not considered previously. Thank You Apollo117.

kickemall

WKR
If you do decide on the Mesa you might give one shot gear a call. They're a sponsor who deals in CA and often can help you out on price if you tell them your a Rokslide member.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 last year and love it. It doesn't have everything you're looking for, but I hate a CRF action and a 3 position safety.

I have Leupold VX3 scopes of all varieties on my rifles and love them.

Good luck with your search.

eamyrick

WKR
I played around with several factory rifles including Remington and Ruger with mixed results. I bought a Tikka T3x Stainless in 308 a month or so ago and have been amazed. Rifle is a shooter and consistent. Carries and shoulders great. Weights 7.4lbs with a Swaro 3-12x50 in Talley rings, spartan bipod, and sling. Hard to beat for 699.

Thanks guys - after a quick trip to the Gunshop this afternoon, I think i have it narrowed down to a Kimber Montana, CA Mesa, or Browning Hells Canyon Speed. I was able to handle the Montana and HC Speed. The montana is nice, clean and simple. While the HC Speed is more of a factory rife with many "upgrades" as I consider them. Unfortunately my local shop is not a CA dealer. Is the CA mesa worth the $300 premium over the HC Speed? If so I will track one down.

Personally, I don't think so.

Now don't get me wrong - the Mesa is a nice rifle. But, its not going to do anything the other two cant do at the ranges you specified. Not only that, it's gonna be heavier than the other two as well. I know weight isn't everything, but humping up and down hills all day on an elk hunt I'd want the lighter rifles.

Muttly

WKR
Grab n go, Kimber checks a lot of boxes. Conversely, in 308, don't think you run into any mag length issues with the Tikka, and odds are pretty good the Tikka be a shooter with no tinkering. And money left over IF you want to drop it in a different stock.
I like both options, picking one is usually the tough part..

I have heard to many negative things about CA to pay a premium for them. To me the browning fits well in the hand and points very naturally. It's a rifle that does not need upgrading and is very well designed. Every x bolt I have seen has shot very well with quality factory ammo. The only thing i would rather have is stainless instead of cerakote. You can get the western hunter stainless model which is the same thing as the hells canyon but stainless. It was a limited production run for this year and you may be able to find some still around. If your not in a rush wait until January for shot show. You never know what might pop up for 2019 that turns your crank. After all approval from the wife likely won't come again for a while.

Lawnboi

WKR
My opinion. The kimbers are much less fun to shoot. Light yea, but harder to shoot and harder on the shooter. Even in .308. I owned a kimber and have shot other mild caliber kimbers. Great action, stock isn’t bad and if you want a light gun it may be a good route.

I don’t at all care for what browning or Remington are putting out as of lately.

I’d highly consider a tikka if your budget was lower. I’d want a new stock immediately along with replacing some of the other plastic bits, which would add up. Really like the tikka action and they shoot.

I have a mesa checks a lot of boxes. Stainless and cerakote. Great trigger, okay stock. Somewhat light but still enough heft that I personally can shoot it that much better. Short action. 2 pos safety that allows you to operate the bolt in safe. Threaded with brake as an option for you. Also very impressed with the quality and how mine shoots.

I scrolled through and didn’t see the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather. If it’s already been discussed my bad. I bought one in 30-06 when I moved to Colorado as my mountain gun. It was a big mistake because now I just can’t justify buying any more guns.

It reliably shoots sub MOA 5 shot groups which from what I read is the norm for this gun. I love controlled round feed. It just feels much more positive and secure to me. Yours would be in a true short action so that’ll be sweet.

The trigger is adjustable and very crisp for a factory trigger. No creep or anything. I did replace it with a Timney because I do on all my bold guns just so they all are the same. It’s not a required upgrade by any means.

The stock is fantastic, the stainless finish is great, bolt runs slick as snot. I like 3 position safeties because you can lock your bolt closed while crawling through willows and crap or you can cycle the bolt while the gun is safe. I didn’t know this would be a big deal but I notice it when I’m using my wife’s Tikka SL (awesome gun too).

I think it checks a lot of your boxes and is as refined as it gets for under $1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
Just looking at weight, a McMillan for a Tikka with Edge fill, should be right around 26-28 ounces, about the same weight as a factory stock.
Put a Winchester stainless 7 Mag in a Basner stock with aluminum bottom metal on the scale, 6 lbs, 12 5/8 ounces. If you can do the stock finishing and bedding yourself, track down an Extreme Weather or older Classic Stainless, either case be running a bit lighter than that.
A .308 Montana does seem like the path of least resistance though..

Takem

WKR
Just looking at weight, a McMillan for a Tikka with Edge fill, should be right around 26-28 ounces, about the same weight as a factory stock.
Put a Winchester stainless 7 Mag in a Basner stock with aluminum bottom metal on the scale, 6 lbs, 12 5/8 ounces. If you can do the stock finishing and bedding yourself, track down an Extreme Weather or older Classic Stainless, either case be running a bit lighter than that.
A .308 Montana does seem like the path of least resistance though..
u
I have a Model 70 classic in 7 Mag (completely factory at this point) that I'm debating on upgrading from next year. If I was to do something like you're suggesting would I see a significant increase in accuracy? Is that weight with a factory barrel? I like the gun, I've had it for about 15 years, but I'd have to make it lighter and more accurate if I'm going to keep it. Thanks

Muttly

WKR
Takem, PM sent.
Short version, factory barrel, cut down a bit from 26". With stocks available, you can get fit, cheek weld, LOP, forearm length and contour dialed in to closer fit your dimensions. Playing around with different materials and construction, lemme rephrase that, choosing from different materials and construction let's you also fine tune finished weight, balance, and stock rigidity.
Looking at barrels, length and contour will dictate weight and balance. Going to a faster twist would let you run heavier bullets, if so desired. Lot of little factors that can add up to dial in consistency.

OP
S

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for chiming in - I decided on the CA Mesa in 6.5CM. It will be here in about a week, and im stoked.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Thank you all for chiming in - I decided on the CA Mesa in 6.5CM. It will be here in about a week, and im stoked.
I've got one and it's a badass rifle. Tac driver for sure. You will be very happy with your purchase

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Takem

WKR
Takem, PM sent.
Short version, factory barrel, cut down a bit from 26". With stocks available, you can get fit, cheek weld, LOP, forearm length and contour dialed in to closer fit your dimensions. Playing around with different materials and construction, lemme rephrase that, choosing from different materials and construction let's you also fine tune finished weight, balance, and stock rigidity.
Looking at barrels, length and contour will dictate weight and balance. Going to a faster twist would let you run heavier bullets, if so desired. Lot of little factors that can add up to dial in consistency.

Thank you. As mentioned getting a stock that fits me well makes a lot of sense.