$1200 Factory Rifle Challenge

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Here is one for you guys -

I am in the market for a new rifle to replace my Marlin XL7 in 30-06. The Warden at home has placed a $1200 budget on the situation (for the rifle only). I will use this new rifle primarily for still hunting whitetails and Blackbear here in PA and for our annual elk Hunt out west. I am strongly considering .308 for this new rifle, as I like the shorter action. Perhaps 6.5 CM as well. For glass, this rifle will wear a VX-3i that I already own. I keep my shots at live game to within 300 yards, but it would be fun to be able to ring steel out to beyond that.

I brought this up to the fellas around the office and garnered many different opinions - Tikka, Kimber Hunter/Montana, Christensen Mesa, Browning Hells Canyon speed/longrange, Remington 7 stainless, etc.......

Here are some things I am considering as "Wants":

Factory rifle chambered in .308 or 6.5 CM
Relatively Lightweight - Sub 8.5 lbs Rifle, Rings, Scope
Durability - Stainless or Cerakote (From factory)
3 position safety OR the ability to cycle the bolt via a release button like the Xbolt
Synthetic Stock - Wooden stock rifles take a beating when driving the Thick stuff for Bear.
Accurate and adjustable trigger(adjustable with simple tools and without the need for a gunsmith)

Now, I also have some things swimming around in my head that give me moments of pause, Caliber NOT being one of them:

Controlled Round Feed vs Push Feed
Bolt throw angle - 60, 70,80,90 degree
two lug vs 3 lug bolt
stainless vs cerakote
magazine style - blind vs rotary vs drop plate

Perhaps I am WAY over thinking this. I guess the only good thing is I am not caught up in any sort of internal caliber war and I feel the .308 decision is sound and reasonable.

So here is my challenge - If you had my $1200 to spend on a factory rifle, What would you pick and why? I am open to all options.

Thank you all in advance - I value the opinions and expertise of those on this forum.

ianpadron

WKR
You're definitely over thinking it.

If you want everything on that list just keep saving and build it.

But for $1200 you can get into a ton of amazing rifles. My favorite lightweights in that category are the Tikka, Sako, and CA Mesa. I've shot/handled all 3 and in my opinion you can't go wrong with either of them.

Stock on the Tikka sucks in terms of feel but it does its job very well, my T3 .30-06 is a 1/2 MOA gun everyday of the week. Best factory trigger and smoothest action made in my opinion.

Sako is a step up in quality but they are a little heavier. An A7 Big Game would be an awesome all around setup.

Now something to remember about Tikka and Sako is that they don't build off a short action, so you won't get the weight savings over a standard action.

And last the CA Mesa. My buddy has one in 6.5 CM and it is a sweet little rifle. Light, but shootable at VERY long ranges. Factory brake, Triggertech trigger, high end stock, cerakote action and barrel. Incredibly accurate. Definitely the nicest rifle in your price range IMHO.

I personally don't like Brownings, although I know they are shooters.

I'll also throw in a wild card that i don't see discussed often on Rokslide. The Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08. It's like a mini Sendero in terms of quality, but all the features you're looking for (light, short action, stainless barrel, high end stock, and WAAYYY under budget)

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Another option that might fit your criteria is a Savage light weight Hunter. I have that in .308 for my Western hunting light gun paired with a leupold vx-r and I love the setup

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Another option that might fit your criteria is a Savage light weight Hunter. I have that in .308 for my Western hunting light gun paired with a leupold vx-r and I love the setup

I have a LWH as well (in 6.5) and like it a lot, but definitely would not put it in the same category as the others OP is looking at.

I just can't get over how flimsy the stock is, and how much of a gap there is between the bolt and magazine.

It's a glorified truck gun that is spooky accurate in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Totally agree with not being the same category but I feel it's a very good option and like you said scary accurate for $5-600

They have the new Storm Lightweight. Not sure if it is better but it has the new stock. I love my LWH in 7-08.

ColeKira

FNG
I have a $500 budget and buying the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor for $379 on black Friday @ Academy Sports. I'll buy some decent glass for it with a bi-pod, sling, and a few boxes of ammo. Hoping to stay under $1000 total.

Rs3003

WKR
Browning. Hells canyon or stainless stalker. They both shoot great and carry well.

kickemall

WKR
Your always going to have a compromise on a factory rifle but there are a lot of very good ones out there. I shot a Mesa and was pretty impressed, especially with the trigger but I didn't really care for the long bolt throw but your probably o.k. with a VX3. The guys at Long Range Only did a review on it and liked it also. I'd probably go with that and your VX3 or a Tikka then sell the VX3 and take the money you saved on the Tikka because it won't be near $1200, add it to what you sold the VX3 for and buy a better scope. Hells Canyon Long range is nice also, especially with the new twist rates, but the trigger sucks unless you change the spring and your up against your price range.

With your budget and requirements - with western hunting included, I’d go with either a Tikka SL, Browning HC, or a new Kimber Montana.

For me, the Mesa is super nice but too heavy.

My experience with the Tikka and Browning has been great. The tikkas have a good reputation, and the Browning’s I’ve had have shot everything at an inch or under. I have a Montana in 308 on order, and from what I’ve been reading it seems like the new ones are pretty consistent.

All will keep you under budget if you look around enough. I got the Kimber for 1150.

2five7

WKR
X-bolt HC Speed would get my vote. I've been hunting wiht one the last few years and absolutely love it. Mine is in 6.5 CM and it's my favorite "light rifle" Should be able to find one under $1000. Northern Firearms on Gunbroker routinely has them for $900 with free shipping.

I would put Bergara on your list as well.

I was going to suggest this as well. It doesnt meet ALL the criteria, but they are impressive and way under your budget as well.

I just got one in a 6.5 and its great. The Mesa was on my radar, but at close to $700 more after tax, I just couldnt justify it.

The other gun on my short list was a Remington Mountain in 7mm-08, but with Remingtons "issues" the last couple years, they kinda make me lean away from them.

They have the new Storm Lightweight. Not sure if it is better but it has the new stock. I love my LWH in 7-08.
Have one with the old style stock (plastic), and handled one with the new style stock the other night. Storm Felt like a much better stock.

Apollo117

WKR
Have one with the old style stock (plastic), and handled one with the new style stock the other night. Storm Felt like a much better stock.
It's good to know the Storm has a nicer stock. I haven't handled a Storm yet. My older model 16 LWH stock is awful. I've got an eBay alert setup for a model 11 LWH take off stock. That's how much I dislike the model 16 LWH stock.

OP
S

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys - after a quick trip to the Gunshop this afternoon, I think i have it narrowed down to a Kimber Montana, CA Mesa, or Browning Hells Canyon Speed. I was able to handle the Montana and HC Speed. The montana is nice, clean and simple. While the HC Speed is more of a factory rife with many "upgrades" as I consider them. Unfortunately my local shop is not a CA dealer. Is the CA mesa worth the $300 premium over the HC Speed? If so I will track one down.