Hunting Rifles With Threaded Barrels?

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning out a new hunting rifle and I would like to find one that has a threaded barrel so I can use my SilencerCo Omega with it but those seem to be more prevalent with tactical rifles. I would love a Tikka T3x but that would take some gunsmithing and I’m not really sure if it would be possible due to the barrel size (I’m far from an expert on this sort of thing so please correct me I’d I’m wrong).

I want something that will shoot at least 1MOA and so far the only thing I’ve found in a reasonable price range (sub $1500) is the Kimber Montana. I don’t mind spending more if it’s worth it but after a while I feel like it’s approaching custom rifle territory.

As far as caliber I’m open to everything from 6.5 CM to 30-06 to 300 WM but considering most of the hunting I do is whitetail, axis, and hogs at under 400 yards (most under 200 yards) I am leaning towards 6.5 CM so I can stay lightweight, not wreck my shoulder, and still be more than capable. If I make it out west for some bigger game then that will mean I’m likely at a place where I can be pretty comfortable upgrading as needed.

Stid2677

WKR
Luke has a Barrett Field Craft in 6.5 CM for sale, it is a shooter. I have shot it with the Omega installed, so I know this is a good setup. The Kimbers use a threaded barrel that is 7/16 x 28 so you will need an adapter that I could only find from Kimber. The Tikka CTR comes threaded and is in your price range. I have one of these that my wife uses for PRC, in 6.5 CM.

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Luke has a Barrett Field Craft in 6.5 CM for sale, it is a shooter. I have shot it with the Omega installed, so I know this is a good setup. The Kimbers use a threaded barrel that is 7/16 x 28 so you will need an adapter that I could only find from Kimber. The Tikka CTR comes threaded and is in your price range. I have one of these that my wife uses for PRC, in 6.5 CM.

Ah I didn’t even think of the threads being a different size, glad you pointed that out. I overlooked the CTR before because it is more of the tactical style and I was thinking lightweight hunting rifles. It is only 7.5 pounds which is certainly lighter than what I am currently lugging around but I’d definitely prefer something in the T3x Lite arena.

I didn’t know about the Field Craft though, I will look into that one a bit more.

I won’t be hunting with it until next season so I at least have some time to make sure I figure out exactly what I want.

2five7

WKR
The X-bolt models with "Long Range" in the title generally have factory brakes that are removable and 5/8-24 threads. They will shoot under MOA easily.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
p4qBSp4.jpg

There are a couple T3 lites with suppressors there. Less than $100 for threading and you’re in the game for a suppressor. In fact the one on the right is a 300 wsm with a omega suppressor on it roughly about 30 mins before shooting the sheep in the picture there.

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
p4qBSp4.jpg

There are a couple T3 lites with suppressors there. Less than $100 for threading and you’re in the game for a suppressor. In fact the one on the right is a 300 wsm with a omega suppressor on it roughly about 30 mins before shooting the sheep in the picture there.

Oh wow, very nice, did you have to cut the barrel back much or just get it threaded and go? I was thinking I’d put the ASR brake on it for quick attach and being able to lock it down, any reason do you think that would be less preferred to direct thread?

On my Tikka (not the same as one ones above), I cut it back to 18.5", threaded to 1/2" and then bushed up to 5/8" for a direct thread suppressor. I seem to recall it was about $100 for threading and $20 for the bushing from Brownells. On a light gun like a Tikka, it will get muzzle heavy fast if you don't bob them back quite a bit. OR you can add a heavy stock to counter balance like the guys above!

Luke, those are possibly the heaviest "sheep rifles" I've seen in a while. I'm pretty sure you have whole rifles that weight less than those scopes!

My gun:

xX9qOUd.jpg

6amby5v.jpg

Side note. Despite cutting back the barrel nearly 4", I only lost 15-30 fps after screwing on the suppressor. Apparently 7.5" of suppressor is equal to about 3" of barrel at least on my gun.

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great looking rifle and sheep! I think I might do exactly what you did there. I don’t ever plan on shooting it unsupressed so since I shouldn’t lose that much ballistically it seems like a no brainer.

Just curious, what kind of groups are you getting with that setup?

Essentially the same groups as I did before. 90%+ of the time (and nearly all loads) they will fall between 0.7 and 1.3 MOA when shot off the bench. Fairly regularly I'll get lucky and really get a "internet size" group, but it's not the honest average.

Interestingly, if I shoot it un-suppressed with the new bobbed short barrel, it shoots REALLY well now. Apparently it liked that. However, that's only the case off the bench. From field positions, particularly prone, I shoot better with the suppressor, as it adds more barrel inertia and moderates recoil.

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha, thanks a lot for the help, that really seems to be the way to go for me.

Scottyboy

WKR
The Bergara Ridge series will come 5/8x24 threaded and they will shoot 1moa or under with factory loads. Can be had for $725-750

p4qBSp4.jpg

What barrel profile are you getting threaded. I've had some push back on getting tikka barrels threaded because their OD doesn't give much of a shoulder. I sure wish tikka would bring some of their other lefty versions into the states.

I'm a lefty so I have even fewer options. The savage mentioned above and the cabelas version of it have caught my eye. I have a couple ruger American predators which are threaded. Bergara has one I believe and the xbolt hells canyons have some threaded options.

They are most definitely out there. I lugged harvester around on my ruger all season but didn't get to use it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What barrel profile are you getting threaded. I've had some push back on getting tikka barrels threaded because their OD doesn't give much of a shoulder. I sure wish tikka would bring some of their other lefty versions into the states.

They are correct in that a factory "Lite" barrel doesn't leave enough shoulder for a typical 5/8" suppressor thread. However, the same can be said for virtually all sporter weight barrels, as even many varmint weight guns don't have enough to thread at 5/8-24 The answer is to thread at either 1/2" or (more rarely) 9/16" and add a bushing with a shoulder built in.

Example in link:

PRECISION ARMAMENT THREAD ADAPTER 1/2-28 TO 5/8-24 | Brownells

Some gunsmiths don't like to thread a .30 barrel to 1/2-28, but those seemed to mostly be the tactical and long range rifle builders who are used to fat barrels. Gunsmiths that work on sporter rifles thread down to that size every day for muzzle breaks, and it clearly works out fine. I've been shooting for a year with this setup and not the hint of an issue.

Eventually the makers of lightweight suppressors designed for hunting are going to realize that we don't all shoot tactical contours and start building them with thread sizes that work for normal hunting barrels. Meanwhile, I contacted Gemtech when I got mine and they recommended the bushing as best practice.

Sounds like the Barrett Fieldcraft is right up your alley. I actually just bought one with the 18" threaded barrel that i'm picking up tomorrow. I am doing a muzzle brake for now and plan to suppress later.

7mmHunter

FNG
I have a threaded sporter barrel on my TC Dimension, 5/8x24, works great. Just enough shoulder for a solid lock up. That being said, I can get another local smith to thread my other barrels because they feels it to thin.

Wish I had the machines to make it happen myself

Btw, Deadair keymo and Sandman-S hanging on it

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
@robtattoo has the same Savage 110 Hog Hunter 308 I use. I also run a Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range in 300WM. Both of them I use a direct thread Sandman TI can. I specifically sought them out for the threaded barrels. The 20" 308 is somewhat light and faster handling than the 26" 300WM. They both have their place for Colorado elk/deer.

7mmHunter

FNG
@robtattoo has the same Savage 110 Hog Hunter 308 I use. I also run a Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range in 300WM. Both of them I use a direct thread Sandman TI can. I specifically sought them out for the threaded barrels. The 20" 308 is somewhat light and faster handling than the 26" 300WM. They both have their place for Colorado elk/deer.
How do you like the direct thread suppressor. I run keymo. Been thinking about get another that’s direct thread

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I had a QD Gemtech and the other 3 cans I have are direct thread. I don't find any benefits to the QD and the mounts are $$$. I prefer to keep it simple. Never had issues cross threading so long as all the thread pitches match. Keep the threads clean and you should never have a problem