Tikka t3 lite 308 recommendations

work765

WKR
I have a Tikka t3 lite in 308 that I want to upgrade a bit. Last year I put a Burris 4-20 veracity on it and after this season I feel like maybe it’s too big/clunky of a scope for the tikka.
I’m contemplating getting a Leupold vx-5hd or possibly upgrading the stock.

Or? I want to spend some money and make it a better shooter. Are there any mandatory upgrades that will be noticeable?

Or should I save my money and spend it on bullets at the range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
The Tikkas usually shoot pretty good right out of the box. I painted my stock for a different look. As far as the scope, do you want to dial for distance or just a light 2-7x36 or 3-9x40?

OP
W

work765

WKR
The Tikkas usually shoot pretty good right out of the box. I painted my stock for a different look. As far as the scope, do you want to dial for distance or just a light 2-7x36 or 3-9x40?

I had a 3-9 zeis conquest but felt like it wasn’t enough magnification two years ago when I had a shot opportunity at 350 or so yards. But honestly that could have been my lack of experience. So I decided to jump to the 4-20 and now I love being being able to zoom in. I’m not sure if it’s ideal though. So I’m contemplating going back down to smaller and lighter scope.

I basically want to be able to hunt out to 400 ish with a nice light rifle

Trial153

WKR
I put a lecia ER5 2x10x50 on a T3X compact in 308 and so far i like it quite a bit. It's a little chunkier then I originally wanted however its growing on me. I may switch it out at some point for a 1" tube.
I got a fantastic deal on it from doug at Camera land.

I have the Leupold VX3i in 4.5 x 14 x 40 on my Tikka. Not too heavy but still got 14 when needed. Has been just right so far. 528 yard kill with this set up. 7RM caliber.

I removed the barrel tabs from my stock to get it free floating. It shot well before, but even better now and doesn't seem as sensitive to bipod loading.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Are you referring to the injection mold-looking ridges near the base of the barrel? Dremeling them out is a neat idea.

Are you referring to the injection mold-looking ridges near the base of the barrel? Dremeling them out is a neat idea.

Yes, I sanded those down as well as a little material on either side of the whole barrel channel. A dollar bill now slide with ease down to the receiver.

Yes, I sanded those down as well as a little material on either side of the whole barrel channel. A dollar bill now slide with ease down to the receiver.

I read that Tikka put that upward pressure to prevent the barrel from whipping and making contact with the stock. Allegedly this is only an issue on the magnum calibers and you should be safe to float the barrel on a 308. Interested if anyone else has info about why it's there. I removed it on a 270 I had and it resolved some inconsistencies with poi when the rifle started to heat up.

I had a 3-9 zeis conquest but felt like it wasn’t enough magnification two years ago when I had a shot opportunity at 350 or so yards. But honestly that could have been my lack of experience. So I decided to jump to the 4-20 and now I love being being able to zoom in. I’m not sure if it’s ideal though. So I’m contemplating going back down to smaller and lighter scope.

I basically want to be able to hunt out to 400 ish with a nice light rifle

3-9 should be a good magnification at 400ish. You just need some more practice to be comfortable with the site picture you will get at that range.

OP
W

work765

WKR
3-9 should be a good magnification at 400ish. You just need some more practice to be comfortable with the site picture you will get at that range.

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been in between the leupold VX-5HD 2-10 or 3-15(price isn’t an issue). I’ve read countless posts on the topic and I’m still undecided. It’s a bit ridiculous. You have the guys that hunt at 600 yards with a 3-9. And then the guys that love 15x and say that’s where it’s at now. Cause variable scopes have vastly improved.

OP
W

work765

WKR
I only hunt out west. And at this point a 500 Yard shot seems far. As in. I would do my best to creep up on an animal and get within a decent range. And a 2-10 would be prefect. Granted. I know some huge cross canyon shots can be very long. So in those situations, I guess I would prefer the more magnification.