7mm mag or 300 WM

I have finally decided on the gun I’m going to get, a Christensen Arms Mesa, but I can’t decide on what I want it chambered in. I’m stuck between a 7mm mag 24” barrel 1:9 twist rate and a 300 WM 24” barrel 1:10 twist rate. The gun will be used for mule deer, elk, and whitetail. My average elk shot over the years have been 400-600 yards...I’ve always used my dads 7mm. I have recently gotten into reloading and will be reloading my own ammo for it. I already have my scope for the gun...I went with a Maven RS.1 2.5 15x44. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal preference, I’d go 7mm in a rifle that weight with expected longer range shots for reduced recoil.

elkguide

WKR
And my "personal preference" would fall heavily on the .30 caliber side. I have a variety of rifles in both the .284 and the .30 caliber and I like them all but if I were going to have to pick just one, it would without any hesitation be a .30. The .300 Win Mag is my absolute favorite of all of the .30's as well. In fact, after drawing a great Idaho elk tag last summer, I decided that I "needed" a new rifle for the hunt. After looking through my rifles, I decided that even though I already had 4 .300's I really needed a new Cooper in .300 Win Mag. (and it worked great!)

.8bc at 3000+ Fps

7 mag by a lot.

Probably want to upgrade mag box to the wyatts extended.

I have shot many deer with a 7mmRM at ranges approaching 500yds , but when I started elk hunting 5 years ago I stepped up to a 300 win I worked what I thought was a excellent elk load . A 200 gr Nosler partition at 3000 fps . This year I shot a 4x4 bull at 150yds through his right shoulder just passing through exiting the left side mid ribs . I was expecting to cut this elk a flip, to my surprise he staggered a bit and got behind brush and laid down after about 30 seconds and expired . After watching hundreds of elk kills on video I am now more than ever convinced than ever that accuracy more than ever is most important , my shot was slightly far back for the angle I was shooting and have seen much better performance from lesser calibers that shots were precisely placed . I absolutely hated shooting that 300win so I did not shoot it enough that I was as accurate as I would have liked to have been. If you can shoot that 300 with confidence and comfort enough to practice by all means shoot the 300win. For me I took the 300 barrel off and screwed the 7mm RM back on when I got home and it will stay that way simply because I enjoy shooting my 7 and not soo much the 300wim.

Last edited:
I have shot many deer with a 7mmRM at ranges approaching 500yds , but when I started elk hunting 5 years ago I stepped up to a 300 win I worked what I thought was a excellent elk load . A 200 gr Nosler partition at 3000 fps . This year I shot a 4x4 bull at 150yds through his right shoulder just passing through exiting the left side mid ribs . I was expecting to cut this elk a flip, to my surprise he staggered a bit and got behind brush and laid down after about 30 seconds and expired . After watching hundred of elk kills on video I am now more than ever convinced than ever that accuracy more than ever , my shot was slightly far back for the angle I was shooting and have seen much better performance from lesser calibers that shoots was precisely placed . I absolutely hated shooting that 300win so I did not shoot it enough that I was as accurate as I would have liked to have been. If you can shoot that 300 with confidence and comfort enough to practice by all means shoot the 300win. For me I took the 300 barrel off and screwed the 7mm RM back on and it will stay that way simply because I enjoy shooting my 7 and not soo much the 300wim.

I hunt elk with a .300 Win Mag, but 7mm Rem Mag is an excellent choice.

There are so many great factory ammunition choices, that it’s hard to go wrong.

If you’re leaning towards 7mm Rem Mag - buy it with confidence!

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
I Recently went through the same dilema - Although I hunt back east a lot more than my one week a year out west, so I went with a CA Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor. If I was in your shoes, I would go with the 300 Win Mag. With the radial break (Wear your hearing Protection!) that 300 winmag will be very reasonable in the recoil department. Ammo availability is a toss up, at least around me.

OP
C
I Recently went through the same dilema - Although I hunt back east a lot more than my one week a year out west, so I went with a CA Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor. If I was in your shoes, I would go with the 300 Win Mag. With the radial break (Wear your hearing Protection!) that 300 winmag will be very reasonable in the recoil department. Ammo availability is a toss up, at least around me.

You not worried about the 6.5 not being enough for elk?

robie

WKR
My advice is look at the ballistics behind the two bullets you would use.

Example. compare the Berger 195 in .284 vs the Berger 215 in .308. These are just two common bullets people use in those calibers I would pick whatever you would shoot in either gun and run down the list.

I like the greater energy of the 215 in .308 so that is what I went with. Some people like the higher BC of the .284 bullets.

Look at the BC and energy at the ranges you want to be killing animals.

There isn't a wrong choice and there is no substitute for good shot placement.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
You not worried about the 6.5 not being enough for elk?

Not the least bit worried about using my 6.5CM on elk. I know my limits in terms of distance and select the right bullet for the job. I have taken elk with .270 & .308 as have many here on Rokslide, and I know the 6.5CM will do the job if I do mine.