7wsm or 6.5 prc

Ok, I have the option of a new havak 6.5 prc with a 25% discount vs a 7wsm gap hunting rifle.

6.5 prc: great shooting gun that will run me about 1700 bucks and then need glass which would put me around 3700. Will have to wait 4-5 months on build time. But will kill elk to 1000 yards and shoot a quarter moa with hand loads and half moa with factory

7wsm: Surgeon action, fluted bartlien Barrel, jewel trigger, bedded McMillan stock, Surgeon bottom metal. Plus load development done. Less than 200 rounds down range. .09” at 100. $2800 for the gun. $4600 if I take it with a march 3-24 x42 ffp fma 2 scope mounted. Don’t have to wait and it’s ready to go. With 100 rounds of loaded ammo and dope chart.

Decisions decisions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
The 6.5 PRC intrigues me. Think that I'm going to go that caliber in my next rifle.

Don't you just love these tough decisions?!?!?

OP
ddavis_1313
The 6.5 PRC intrigues me. Think that I'm going to go that caliber in my next rifle.

Don't you just love these tough decisions?!?!?

Well the 7wsm is a good deal. Scope is 2200 and rifle is around 3500-3800... I’d be happy with either caliber really. Also, when the barrel is shot out do the wsm, I can rebarrel to 7wsm or 6.5 prc

OP
ddavis_1313
I am really interested in 6.5 prc, but since I dont load I am waiting to see if factory ammo becomes more available

One of the down sides to the prc. But the hornady stuff seems to be shooting lights out

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The weight of the havoc should be better and after playing with the action I am not a fan.

elkguide

WKR
Well the 7wsm is a good deal. Scope is 2200 and rifle is around 3500-3800... I’d be happy with either caliber really. Also, when the barrel is shot out do the wsm, I can rebarrel to 7wsm or 6.5 prc

Both very good options. Pretty much comes down to whichever floats your boat.

OP
ddavis_1313
The weight of the havoc should be better and after playing with the action I am not a fan.

I’ve read that a few other places but with use they seem to get better. I’ve never held or seen a havak. But I’ve held that GAP rifle and I’ve seen it shot at 750 yards. And I was there when me and my buddy loaded Ammo for it and shot 3 shots in a .09” group at 100. Not that a gun needs to be able to do that to kill, but it was impressive.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Both are too rich for my blood. Lol.

I'll have to stick with my Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM that I paid $500 for. Haha

OP
ddavis_1313
Both are too rich for my blood. Lol.

I'll have to stick with my Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM that I paid $500 for. Haha

Yeah, I tend to spend some coin on guns. But they hold their value better than a bow. Lol

ckleeves

WKR
A GAP build with a Surgeon action vs a Havak I’ll take the GAP all day long. JMO but I don’t think they havak is really that impressive of a rifle.

OP
ddavis_1313
A GAP build with a Surgeon action vs a Havak I’ll take the GAP all day long. JMO but I don’t think they havak is really that impressive of a rifle.

Care to elaborate on your thoughts on the havak

ckleeves

WKR
My boss had one in 6.5 Creed and the action was anything but smooth. I see guys say the action smooths out with use which I don’t doubt but I just wasn’t impressed. The accuracy wasn’t what I would expect for a semi custom and the feeding wasn’t great either. It just didn’t seem like a 2k rifle to me. I have always really liked just about everything Seekins makes but the Havak just didn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. His was one of the real early ones and I figured it was kinda a anomaly but since then I have read a few post from guys who’s thoughts kinda mirrored mine especially on the action.

I’m sure the majority of the Havaks shoot great, and that the action does smooth out with use but when your getting into that price range I don’t think a guy should have to deal with a rough action, hard feeding and not really stellar accuracy. JMO but I wouldn’t even put it in the same League as what GAP puts out.

OP
ddavis_1313
My boss had one in 6.5 Creed and the action was anything but smooth. I see guys say the action smooths out with use which I don’t doubt but I just wasn’t impressed. The accuracy wasn’t what I would expect for a semi custom and the feeding wasn’t great either. It just didn’t seem like a 2k rifle to me. I have always really liked just about everything Seekins makes but the Havak just didn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. His was one of the real early ones and I figured it was kinda a anomaly but since then I have read a few post from guys who’s thoughts kinda mirrored mine especially on the action.

I’m sure the majority of the Havaks shoot great, and that the action does smooth out with use but when your getting into that price range I don’t think a guy should have to deal with a rough action, hard feeding and not really stellar accuracy. JMO but I wouldn’t even put it in the same League as what GAP puts out.

Thanks for the input. I’ve read some of the same

FURMAN

WKR
I would definitely put your hands on the Havak before purchasing. The bolt sliding in the raceway may smooth out but I seriously doubt the cock on close is going away. It is easily the worst action I have even touched. I played with multiple examples because I thought the first was a fluke. They seem to shoot very well but there is no way I could deal with the action.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Havak action does smooth out. In fact it gets slick as snot after a while. I was worried about it at first, but that turned out to be unfounded. The cock on close also tones down after use. Feels a lot like a Rem 700 with firm lug engagement on close now. However, if you can’t deal with cock on close, then look at a different rifle.

I’d take a 7 wsm over 6.5 if planning to elk hunt. What contour bartlein does it have?

I’d also swap out the jewell for a trigger tech and skip the March scope.

OP
ddavis_1313
I’d take a 7 wsm over 6.5 if planning to elk hunt. What contour bartlein does it have?

I’d also swap out the jewell for a trigger tech and skip the March scope.

Not sure on contour of barrel. What scope would you run? I’m really liking the front focal plane option though.

Not sure on contour of barrel. What scope would you run? I’m really liking the front focal plane option though.

Nightforce, LRHS (this is what replaced my 3-24x52 March), vortex AMG (hopefully they do a 3-15 version soon), TT 3-15.