Barrel break in or nah?

Well I drank the Creed-aid and picked up a new Tikka in 6.5. I have not broke in barrels in the past but am wondering what the rest of you fine folks are doing. Is there any advantages to following a break in process? If so what is the procedure you use?

I got my Tika in 300WSM a couple decades ago, I think. I started with sighting it in, it only took a few rounds. I proceeded to shoot a few more for good measure. I made another trip to the range to confirm accuracy. The thing has been nothing short of a tack driver ever since. Simply put, I never needed to go through the typical barrel break in, with this particular rifle. However, I can only speak for my experience.

jspickar

FNG
Very informative video . If you haven't heard of krieger barrels look them up to put the video into context

YouTube

With that said you're talking a factory barrel while krieger makes the best custom barrel around, so finish is cleaner and tolerances tighter.

I wouldn't worry about "break in", but my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Another good on:
YouTube

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Barrel break-in is a waste of time, ammo and mental energy.

I've done it a couple of times and not done it a lot more. I just never saw any tangible benefit to the whole tedious process.

EastMT

WKR
I believe it was savage that did extensive testing and were unable to tell any measurable difference. I have done it both ways, I couldnt tell any diff. Unless you buy one that specifically has a break in process from the manufacturer I wouldn’t waste the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My barrels always got broken in by shooting them. I shoot the heck out of them and only clean them when accuracy starts to fade.

I used the Lilja break-in procedure at the recommendation of my gunsmith. It was taking 10 to 15 patches to clean the barrel while doing the break-in process, and eventually reduced to 6 or 7 to get the bore clean. I am able to clean the bore now with only two or three patches and Bore Tech Eliminator. The accuracy was always there, and I don't think the break-in did anything to improve the accuracy. I do like being able to clean it quicker and easier now.

What Laelkhunter said. It makes a barrel easier to clean. I am different than most as I clean all my rifles (that have been hunted with) after every hunting season. They get a good cleaning and then a fouling shot or two and accuracy confirmed before going back in the safe. I don’t like grabbing a rifle that I don’t know is ready to shoot. As far as accuracy goes I don’t think break in is necessary.

robtattoo

WKR
I'm a firm 'meh'
I've done it & not done it. Honestly, haven't noticed a red cent's worth of difference in accuracy. Once you've got 100 round down range, it's as good as it's going to get. How you get there makes no difference, as far as I can tell.
Oh, and don't put anything but bullets through the bore until/unless you see accuracy drop off.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Not the same company, but Barrett states in their manual to just shoot the rifle and enjoy. No break in necessary.

gbflyer

WKR
As John mentioned in the clip, the throat is what needs to iron out. If the throat is nice and cleanly cut, a good barrel probably won’t copper up much. If it isn’t, it may. I don’t make a tedious process out of it anymore, but I do check for fouling and remove it the first few shots. After that I just shoot it, clean when accuracy falls off. Some of my barrels shoot much better when they’re fouled. If I get one that doesn’t foul at all, it typically isn’t the best shooter.

I’ve done the whole fire, clean, repeat thing before to “properly break in a rifle barrel”, and I’ve also just shot rifles multiple, multiple times right out of the box and didn’t clean. I can’t say that I’ve noticed a difference rather way. I have noticed that my rifles tend to shoot a fair amount better (up until a certain point), when they’re somewhat fouled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk