XLR Chassis Review, By Luke Moffat

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Luke is was an ultralight rifle guy for a long time but in the last couple years has started to also utilize heavier, precision rifles for some of his shooting and hunting. In this review Luke goes over the benefits of using the XLR chassis systems.

XLR Chassis Review

Last edited:
Sweet Barrel, wonder who spun that up for you! ;)

Nice review, more and more people need to understand how a properly fitting stock is crucial to long range precision.

Mike

I'm a huge fan of hunting with chassis stocked rifles. My ten yr old son and I hunted with a Howa mini action 6.5 Grendel in a mdt lss chassis this year. Amazing little gun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good write up! Few questions, how was the safety manipulation with the chassis and Tikka action? I may be the only one, but I like being able to control the safety from a firing position (or close to it) on the rifle. On some chassis it looks like you'd be unable to use the selector without completely letting go with the firing hand. It's one thing that has held me up on putting a few rifles of mine into chassis.

Also, I'd love to hear about your clothing system for -53* temps! Especially boots, hands and face, puffies, etc! Thats some serious cold!

Thanks for the write up. I stopped into their office the other day and they're great dudes. They have me foaming at the bit to start NRL and PRS matches. I hate to be a follower but don't mind letting you do all the research. I'll be dropping off the Wifes 6.5 cm to get trued and barreled soon for a similar build. Keep them come bro.

Jake

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Jake,
It was great to meet you the other day! We were stoked to have you stop by, hopefully we can get you into a chassis system soon!

We are going to be holding a Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale starting next week. Let us know if that might peak your interest!

Cheers,
XLR

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good write up! Few questions, how was the safety manipulation with the chassis and Tikka action? I may be the only one, but I like being able to control the safety from a firing position (or close to it) on the rifle. On some chassis it looks like you'd be unable to use the selector without completely letting go with the firing hand. It's one thing that has held me up on putting a few rifles of mine into chassis.

Also, I'd love to hear about your clothing system for -53* temps! Especially boots, hands and face, puffies, etc! Thats some serious cold!

Sorry just saw this.

You can still manipulate the safety with only moving your thumb up to the safety (atleast on a Tikka not sure about others). I can maintain my lower three fingers on the pistol grip and keep my index finger along side the chassis while still switching the safety either direction with my thumb. Which is saying something cause I have girlie man hands. :)

As for clothing keep in mind we didn’t do much outside when it was -53. We waited till -25 before we loaded our 14 month old into the ski wagon and went for a 5 mile cross country ski. Layers, and lots of them are the key when that cold and keeping exposed skin covered as well. When active like skiing, keeping covered skin is still a good idea but I will need a lot less clothing if moving than I would sitting and predator calling in those same temps.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Btw XLR Black Friday deal is happening. Basically can get a XLR envy with full arca rail and a taclite buttstock for $600 which is pretty awesome!