Lone peak looks like $1500 and the Crux is $1295. Like you say not a big difference in price now. I think the Crux comes with a rail also. I’m looking at both of them and still undecided on which to get. Probably going to order tomorrow.

Regards, Branden

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've used them both. I would get a Defiance UL over either of those. It's only a few oz heavier and its all one piece of steel.

Beendare

WKR
Ive got a question for those that have a bolt like the Mesa one in the OP's post....what is the advantage to those Hex cuts?

It seems to me [especially after just coming off of a very dusty Arizona Rifle season] that the hex's are just a spot to collect dirt and crud.

I have wanted a Lone Peak Ti for a few years now. So that was what I ended up getting. I will probably go with a Defiance next. I do plan to build an extreme ultralight. So for that I might get a Pierce Ti with the ti bolt in a short action.

Nieko

FNG
Agreed. The hex pattern looks to be mostly for aesthetics, but introduces opportunity for 'crud' to build-up. A smooth bolt body or spiral fluted seems like a much better solution than the hex pattern. When I started looking at the Crux, RHR had them for $1,299 and had a 10% off sale. A titanium action for $1,170 sounded like a decent deal even if I had to get a little bolt work done in the future.

I have a Crux Ti on a 300 wsm that I put together before our MT hunting season. I really like the receiver, love the short bolt throw, there is more bolt to receiver clearance than my Pierce Ti and this is a great thing for a hunting rifle. It is an absolute tack driver with the 2B fluted Bartlien. Would definitely buy again, actually going to soon. Jon at Mesa precision is one of the best customer service people I have ever run across in the gun business.

Swampr42

FNG
I see they have a pretty nice sale for these on there site. If I had the cash I would pick up the Lapua action.